Menu

Parenting the Gifted Blog Tour, 2013

Last year some other WTM folks and I created the 2012 Parenting the Gifted Blog Tour. It was really a great experience. Bloggers weren't the only people who contributed either. A non-blogger came up with our logo, and lots of people chimed in with ideas about what to write about.

I would love to do this again but will need some help.

1. We need bloggers!
  2. A 2013 logo? Should we just rewrite the old one?
  3. Not a blogger but still want to write something? We're open to guest posts.
  4. Help spreading the word... Once the blog tour starts rolling you can help by sharing it on your FB page etc.

More details:

• The dates for this year's blog tour will be June 14th - June 21st.
  • Participants usually post a blog tour announcement a few weeks ahead of time (maybe June 1st?). Then, the night before their assigned day, they put up their post.
  • I need at least one blogger to share thoughts from the WTM, Classical Homeschooling, Classical Afterschooling, or a nice shout-out to SWB and JW. (Because I love them, and because we'll use board space to organize all of this.)

Sounds Awesome! I'd be pleased to share the info on my FB page about the blog tour!

If you need another person to round out the week I'd be happy to write something up, but I'm not a great writer and my children are still pretty young so... I probably wouldn't be the best addition :)

All ready started my post in preparation! Mine is titled "Comparison is the Thief of Joy." I'll be using my own experience with comparing my oldest with my best friend's kid who is the same age, how my gifted kid cured me of it, and things I have picked up talking about comparisons with other parents (and especially how it applies to parents of gifted kids.)

My site is down...again. I think it's a blog.com problem. They usually fix it soon.

In more exciting news, Quark has fresheded up our logo and it looks really great. Thank you Quark! I'll email it to all of the blog tour participants along with our official announcement, once that's ready.

If you have a topic that you want me to touch on and someone's Ok with a guest blogger for a day, I am game. Mine are still little (preschool and soon to be rising first grader). The only introspective thought running through my head these days is that every child deserves to be celebrated.

I can host you, Winter. :) You post would fit in perfectly with my kids' ages for my blog.

I'd be willing to jump on this, if y'all would have me. My blog is a little defunct at the moment, and in need of some sprucing up, but I could totally get on board with this. My general thought is educating the gifted kindergartener - in a world that says "just let them be kids!"

Maybe?

That would be great Care. Welcome aboard! Sorry my blog is down so the original link won't work at the moment.

ALL of blog.com is down! I should have started out blogging a couple of years ago on another platform. Now I'm too lazy to switch.... Ugh.

Gah! I'm not getting email updates! Yikes, I'll have to fix that.

I'll get started on my own post, as well. As Mrs.Warde here has pointed out to me elsewhere, I can also dabble in research, the heritable nature of giftedness, and the diagnostic process for SPD, if additional posts are needed. ^_^

This looks to be timed just ahead of when I'm supposed to take Monkey for an extended-family camping trip, so it'll be a great thing! Also, just as an FYI, this blog hop from last year? Yeah, it was a HUGE help, and I made several new friends and a ton contacts in the arena of gifted education from it! THANK YOU ALL!!

I have a draft done but my "editor" is swamped at the moment. She is a brutally honest friend so I am hoping she can take a look. Otherwise, I may be in need of someone on here to look at it.

I can help you too Winter.

I think my topic is going to be "Harry Potter, Muggles, Mudbloods, and Giftedness in Family Trees".

I haven't had time to write anything yet because it took so much effort to move from blog.com to WordPress. Now my stats are all messed up too! It took two years to build up to 200 hits a day, and now I'm back down to the 70s. But at least everything transferred.

Here's the 2012 blog tour link, now back up and running on my new blog: http://teachingmybabytoread.com/2012/07/08/parenting-the-gifted-blogtour-2012/

Okay, I am seriously losing my mind. One should not try to organize a blog tour and make dinner at the same time!

I can see that Aly isn't on this list yet. Am I missing anyone else? Did everyone get an email from me? If not, please email me at teaching my baby to read at gmail dot com. Tomorrow, I'll send out the final draft plus the blog tour logo. Then everyone can post the announcement. After that, the only thing blog tour participants need to do is write their post and publish it the night before.

On June 14th Sceleratus Classical Academy will kick off our tour with “Comparison is the Thief of Joy.â€

On June 15th Only Passionate Curiosity will share “Maturity vs. Ability; It’s a Big Dealâ€. Childhood Inspired will write about “Nurturing Other Aspects of Giftedness Besides Academicsâ€.

On June 16th Teaching My Baby to Read will feature “Harry Potter, Muggles, Mudbloods, and Giftedness in Family Treesâ€.

On June 17th Homeschooling: or Who’s Ever Home will write about “Nurturing Musical Talent in the Gifted Child

On June 18th Strader Spiel will discuss “Homeschooling a Gifted Child with Special Needsâ€and The Washington Collation of Gifted Education will share “I’m an Advocate and So Are Youâ€.

On June 19th Northwoods Classical Academy will write about “The Making of a Mathleteâ€.

On June 20th Homeschooling Hatters will share “Just Let Him Be a Kidâ€, and Sceleratus Classical Academy will end our tour with a guest post titled “When a Flower Bloomsâ€.

I can't participate this year because my laptop's been dead since last year and I can't do my blog from my smartphone. I'll participate next year because I'll be homeschooling next year. This year I tried afterschooling. Our homeschool is going to be called Mayhem University Prep Oak Grove Superhero Kid School.

Oops..., double post. Jen, here's an idea. If you could gather a couple years worth of these blog tours you can use Amazon Create space to self publish the wtm gifted blog tour. It doesn't cost anything because it's pay per print, they print it when you order it. My wishlist is long, so I'm not sure I'd buy it... but I think it would make a lovely book and I'd sure buy it in couple years when there's used copies available. I think there's a book compilation idea here. ;) I'd read it!

Close, but just a tad off. I'm under "Homeschooling Hatters" at this point, largely because RBA is all 'accounting' type stuff. So the url would be homeschoolinghatters.blogspot.ca - so y'all have technically "international" reach this year. ;)

I LOVED your contribution last year. Maybe you could write about something you learned this past year working with Henry, or a challenge you've encountered since writing it?

Thank you. :)

I think I would like to write about nurturing other aspects of giftedness besides the learning/academic part. Am I stepping on anyone's toes with that?

You are not stepping on my toes. :).

Has anyone stepped up to give a thank you to WTM and SWB and JW? If not, I can add a post script thank you on the end of mine on behalf of all the bloggers since I am at the end of the tour. If bloggers have something to say on the thank you, I could compile them into something pretty. I have only been here a year and learning this whole time. I am guessing the thank yous from those who have been here longer are different than those of us inhaling everything for the first time. Just an idea. :)

You are not stepping on my toes. :).

Has anyone stepped up to give a thank you to WTM and SWB and JW? If not, I can add a post script thank you on the end of mine on behalf of all the bloggers since I am at the end of the tour. If bloggers have something to say on the thank you, I could compile them into something pretty. I have only been here a year and learning this whole time. I am guessing the thank yous from those who have been here longer are different than those of us inhaling everything for the first time. Just an idea. :)

I can post a general "thank you"/props post at the end of mine, but we've really only been officially homeschooling for one year now, so it seemed like someone who's been doing the WTM system a bit longer than that should be the one giving the main credit and thanks. Though I will certainly mention how grateful I am that they host this forum, like I did in last year's post. I also give all PHP product mentions links to their website first, rather than using Amazon Affiliate links.

Last year the tour ran over national gifted children week, which is right when the SENG conference was. Then, at the last minute, SENG went ahead and did a blog tour too. So there were two tours going on, and it looked like this one was stepping on their toes. So it seemed like a good idea to move it up a month and not look like we were trying to compete.

Last year the tour ran over national gifted children week, which is right when the SENG conference was. Then, at the last minute, SENG went ahead and did a blog tour too. So there were two tours going on, and it looked like this one was stepping on their toes. So it seemed like a good idea to move it up a month and not look like we were trying to compete.

Okay, thanks for the answer!

• 3 weeks later...

Jen and I were talking and were wondering how you felt about adding a linky tool to our posts for this tour- Not an OPEN linky, but one that would allow participants only to link up their posts. This way, if someone searches gifted, and lands on any one of our blogs, they automatically have a list of all the associated posts right there, in a really eye pleasing form. It would allow more traffic from the hop, and make it much more user friendly so people can read the entire series.

Like this: (we would change the text to something like- read the rest of the series below!)

Linky.png

You would only have to add your link to the linky once, and it would automatically update on all the blogs with the linky code. We could add it to the intro posts and our individual posts, which would package the whole series up into a neat, easy to read, easy to navigate group. The linky code could be emailed in HTML.

What do you think?

Jen and I were talking and were wondering how you felt about adding a linky tool to our posts for this tour- Not an OPEN linky, but one that would allow participants only to link up their posts. This way, if someone searches gifted, and lands on any one of our blogs, they automatically have a list of all the associated posts right there, in a really eye pleasing form. It would allow more traffic from the hop, and make it much more user friendly so people can read the entire series.

Like this: (we would change the text to something like- read the rest of the series below!)

Linky.png

You would only have to add your link to the linky once, and it would automatically update on all the blogs with the linky code. We could add it to the intro posts and our individual posts, which would package the whole series up into a neat, easy to read, easy to navigate group. The linky code could be emailed in HTML.

What do you think?

If it is easy to add to my blog, I have no problem having it on there. I am not very computer literate so it would have to be an easy thing to do.

If it is easy to add to my blog, I have no problem having it on there. I am not very computer literate so it would have to be an easy thing to do.

It is super easy- you would just need to C&P the HTML code to the end of your post, and *poof* it's done. Signing the linky is super easy too. Those two steps and you'll be good to go.