Menu

What is the difference between the regular Sat Math section and the Math subject tests

The SAT math subject test tests a lot more math than the math sections on the SAT which contain mainly algebra 1 and geometry.

The SAT2 Math 1 and 2 differ in the material covered and in the scoring curve. Math 2 tests more advanced material and no plane euclidean geometry, but the curve somewhat more forgiving.

http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-subject-test-preparation/mathematics-level-1

I do not know whether some students take both 1 and 2; my DD will take only Math 2.

I do not know whether some students take both 1 and 2; my DD will take only Math 2.

The colleges on my son's list that require two Subject Tests will only permit one of the tests to be in math. Some of the schools I have researched specifically request the Math II Subject Test, while other colleges will accept either Math I or Math II.

As usual, nothing is consistent from college to college. :cursing:

So, for college admissions, would it be best to take the one the student is best prepared for at the end of 11th grade?

If there are no other considerations, I would take it immediately upon completion of the precalculus course so that the material is still fresh. So, if precalc was in 10th grade, I would definitely take it at the end of 10th grade rather than having a year elapse while the student takes calculus (which unfortunately is what we did, but there were other reasons why we could not fit it in last year).

If precalc was in 11th, I'd take it end of 11th. Unless the student wants to spend the summer preparing and take it in fall of 12th. But no later, since you want the score back in time for applications.

yes, or the Math 1 test - whichever the student chooses.

So, either should be taken after Pre-Calculus. Somehow, I was under the impression that Math 1 would be taken earlier than Math 2. Probably because I never carefully read about the difference. :blushing:

Now, I'm wondering if I should have ds take Math 2 this Saturday. He scored 690 on Math 1 back in January...I'll need to carefully read about the difference...tomorrow. :sleep:

So, either should be taken after Pre-Calculus. Somehow, I was under the impression that Math 1 would be taken earlier than Math 2. Probably because I never carefully read about the difference. :blushing:

Math 1 covers less advanced material than Math 2, but if I look at the list of topics

http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-subject-test-preparation/mathematics-level-1

I see things like matrices and trigonometry that we covered in precalculus. Maybe you can take it after algebra 2 as well; formally the requirement is three years of math (2 algebra, plus geo)

My point was rather that one should not wait too long; we find that taking it after calculus requires more review than had she taken it after precalc.