Menu

Name the top two things in your schoolroom that you use DAILY

HappyGrace

I'm a new homeschooler...so I can't say I have actually "used" anything yet. After reading this thread I am going to run out right now and buy a pencil sharpener!

So far, I use my library card DAILY! I have stacks of books at my feet right now waiting to be read!

Also, I use this message board daily. The advice and experience everyone shares has been very valuable!

So far it has been fun!

Emily

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our list of favorite things used daily...

Timer, for both ds and I to use.

Colored pencils, for coloring and for writing. My son likes writing with the Blue pencils. Hey, if it helps him do his Language worksheet, go for it!

Timelines, maps, & globes

Flashmaster (electronic flashcard thingy)

library card (to check things out to make sure I need to buy them)

and

a turn in basket (this is where the kids put their completed work so I don't have 1400 papers/workbooks/ binders) sitting in front of me

other things on the short list

graph paper for math

highlighters

sticky notes

whiteboard

copier/printer

Definitely use my 3-hole punch

and

clipboards

each and every day.

But can I add a third? Lots of manipulatives to keep my littlest busy during school. But now I'm thinking I should get an electric pencil sharpener. So many people have mentioned it. :001_huh:

1. Science supply box ( so many fun things in there to do)

2. Paper

We don't use the pencil sharpener during school times, I sharpen up a bunch of pencils before hand. If I did not my son would get up every few minutes to sharpen a pencil.

apx 2'x3' map of each continent (separate maps of each). Especially Africa as we studied a lot about it last year.

Wheeled cart for our history resources. But the most used part was the front pockets with our basic school supplies in it.

If I can list more that two..

Clear, plastic shoeboxes to store our art supplies and school supplies

Large wall of bookcases with doors to separate and provide storage, but love having doors to put it all away at night!

One of our favorite things: A desk calendar called- "1,000 Places You Should See Before You Die". We pull a sheet off everyday, read the blurb and ooh and ahh over the picture. Then we find where it is on the globe and the kids fight over who gets to keep the picture and stick it up on their little cork board for the day.

A fun daily geography routine.

One of our favorite things: A desk calendar called- "1,000 Places You Should See Before You Die". We pull a sheet off everyday, read the blurb and ooh and ahh over the picture. Then we find where it is on the globe and the kids fight over who gets to keep the picture and stick it up on their little cork board for the day.

Oh I like that. I can use that idea.

I really like that. Where did you get the calendar?

Love all these great ideas! Here's mine....

1. stapler/paper clips

2. Bookmark timers (each DC has one for reading time)

OK, let me add just another couple - PLEAAASEEEEE??

3. Small stand up white board/chalk board (we put today's date on there so they can date their work. Otherwise they'd ask me all day long, "Maa, what's the date today?")

4. kid scissors and glue sticks (I buy Costco quantity glue sticks for the 4yo and 6yo - they love crafty learning!)

5. Small clock in school room (so we don't have to get up and go in the other room to see if we're on track time-wise)

6. Yes, and can't go without mentioning some "staples": the computer (including Internet), printer with built-it photocopier, all types of paper, colored pencils, mechanical pencils and scotch tape....

7. The "In Boxes" (paper file spots) where each DC puts their own completed work.

8. Oh, and all of our reference books: Unabridged dictionary, Bible, Atlas/Map books

Thanks for indulging me!

- Stacey in MA

Well....a magnifing glass because even with my reading glasses I can't see the teeny, tiny print in some of our answer keys. Why do they make those answers so small???

Oh, good, it's not just me! I think they should make the print bigger with each grade, since Mom's eyes are aging as the kids get older.

I'm armed with a drawer full of cheap reading glasses this time!

I have 6 kids and the olders are always complaining about how noisy the youngers are. So, I bought 4 sets of hearing protection (ear muff style) which should help! (One is for me!) I'll let you know how it works.

jeri

Hey, is the Desk Apprentice the same as was designed on the show "The Apprentice" a few years back? I remember that show.

Wonder if I need one? :tongue_smilie: Seems like a great gift for my college going sister.

I guess I need to find my electric pencil sharpner.

What a great idea! Love the desk pad idea too-added that to the list. Ear muffs is another great one-it's becoming a problem as I'm adding on the second child and we need to interact and it disrupts the first child! (I can't imagine how it would be with more than two dc!)

Yes, the Apprentice is from the show of the same name; sold only at Staples.

Another couple of useful things I thought of (not daily use, but I thought I'd share anyway) are:

1. the Tac-On Information strips you can get at Rainbow Resource. They are 6' long, 2" wide strips of double sided sticky stuff that you can cut into any size you need and they attach to any surface and are strong but DO NOT leave marks on the wall and can be removed and moved, etc. You can also change the things you hang on it and it stays sticky. I hang a long strip of it along one wall to hang drawings, etc., on. We use this stuff for everything. My dh even uses it to hold things down firmly onto his art desk so they don't slide around, etc. They are perfect for anchoring timelines to the wall, putting up wall maps, etc. It has not harmed anything I've used it on so far. LOVE this product!

2. Along the same lines, the little Wacky Tac round sticky stick-on pieces are great for hanging smaller things. (We call them "boogers" around here because they kind of look like.... well, you know! Dh will call out, "Has anyone seen the boogers? So funny!) They sell them at RR, or you can find them at Michael's, A.C. Moore, etc., in the scrapbook section, sometimes called Sticky Dots or some such thing. They don't leave marks on the walls or anything you attach them to, but they hold firmly.

Hope that helps someone!

Preferably paper in a notebook but computer or three holed punched paper will do almost as well.But you can never have too many pens or notebooks.Pens with caps are ok but not ideal because the tops always get lost.