Menu

Do you ever feel your kids are dumb

mom2agang

It turns out he doesn't know (or remember) the difference between uppercase and lowercase letters.

Yep, yep, yep.

Lol. Take her to Paris, TN. And from there you can easily hit Rome as well. Rome, GA that is.

We have family in Paris, TX. We've not visited there with the boys for several reasons, and there was a possiblity that we would go to help my Mom and Dad work on some things there at the end of the month. My boys were all excited and told their Gaga that they would be going to France at the end of May! Despite me saying over and over and over, "Paris, TEXAS!"

"Not gifted" is not learning disabled or dumb, it's just NORMAL, and a lovely sight to behold.

I'm putting this on my bookmarks that go in my teaching books to remind me that where we are may not be exactly in line with where I think we should be, but there we are. If it takes that extra time to make sure the multiplication facts are in there, I ought to just spend the time it takes and dig a little deeper in the area we are working on instead of trying to accelerate.

I agree, everyone has a 4 year old reading chapter books. So if your 2nd graders isn't reading novels you are a horrible parent. I know that I didn't begin reading small chapter books until the end of 2nd grade and I am a very advanced reader, I was actually pulled out early in a very small group in the seond half of 1st grade. It is funny to think the whole year of K was devoted to only the letter names, now they need to know those going into the begining of K. I am not that old either! It is scary to think how we have taken away so much creativity that is needed in order to achieve higher levels of thought. We will have a generation of children able to memorize and regurgitate information, but will not have the ability to apply it or think outisde the box. It is very scary!

On that note, I remember asking to learn how to read my numbers when I was in elementary school. I know the librarian thought I was crazy because I insisted that the number was a code for something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do feel that way sometimes. I pick up on things very fast and never had problems learning even with all the daydreaming. I was shy so my teachers never recognized it but I am pretty sure I am a gifted underachiever. I learned fast and did great on tests and memorizing information but was lazy about assignments and homework. Learning something was never hard or took any effort. It often feels to me like my average kids are behind. Then they will have brain farts where they say something that makes you go umm or have difficulty learning or take a while to learn something and it makes me a little worried. It seems at times like a lot of kids are accelerated and gifted. It is very helpful to hear others feel the same way sometimes. I feel bad for feeling like that and I don't let them know.

Wow, this is exactly the way I was in school. Everything, up to 8th grade that is, came easily to me. Virtually no effort on my part.

It's so tough not to compare, especially when my mom is always reminding me of my numerous achievements and accelerated milestones and asking why ds9 is not hitting them :glare: