Menu

R&S questions 7th grade

Hi all,

My ds is finishing up VIE 6th grade & I am planning for next year & I have some questions.

DS will be in 7th grade can he come from VIE 6 and transition nicely into R&S 7?

Does R&S have editing in it?

Can DS do this independently? (VIE with MODG syllabus is done entirely with parent, DS desperately needs independence)

Thanks for your help.

Jean

Hi all,

My ds is finishing up VIE 6th grade & I am planning for next year & I have some questions.

DS will be in 7th grade can he come from VIE 6 and transition nicely into R&S 7?

Does R&S have editing in it?

Can DS do this independently? (VIE with MODG syllabus is done entirely with parent, DS desperately needs independence)

Thanks for your help.

Jean

I can't answer your transfer question. My ds transferred from GWG 6 to R and S 7.

R&S has some editing. Chapter 10 is the cap/punc chapter. I moved it earlier in the year. My ds needs lots of practice with those skill so we also used Daily Grams. YMMV

We did not do R&S independently. There are oral review which are helpful. I did have him do the first few lessons of each chapter independently (the review) but I did need to be involved for some of the lessons. Of course, you could type out the oral questions. There is no extra teaching in the manuals so it is possible your son could do it independently. You probably would need to look a head and decide which written exercises and review exercises he would complete as there are a lot.

Anne, thank you so much for the information. Did you find the writing assignments were enough for 7th grade? I am trying to streamline & it would be nice to have a few less books.

Thanks for your help.

Jean

Hmm. I think if my son was a natural writer it might be. I have been using IEW material with him bc it is his "magic" curriculum. I think if I were using it with a child who didn't need the IEW support I would do the writing lesson in R&S and then in the time btwn writing assignments I would have my child do another writing assignment using that structure. For example, do the assigned character description then do another character description (maybe from one of the lit books).

My son is a good narrative writer naturally. However, he hasn't really done any other type of writing. We started working on outlines this year but he is not able to do those independently. I am hoping that what he learns in R&S we could carry over to other topics weekly. Do you think that is possible?

Thanks for all your help.

Jean