Menu

Anyone used Abeka Earth & Space text?

Abeka Earth and Space

Contemplating this for 8th grade science now that I've had the revelation I can't use Rainbow Year 2 like I'd planned (since we plan to do biology again in HS early on). I'm trying to find a middle-school level earth/space science that doesn't require a science major to teach it (aka BJU) and that can be completed somewhat independently - I plan to have her join in on our Astronomy activities with the younger siblings.

:bigear:

It was on my list for the fall for dd#1, but they didn't have all the parts for me to look it over at the homeschool display, so it is currently crossed off my list.

I'm still hoping Classiquest comes out with their Earth Science/Astronomy in the next couple of months, but I'm not holding my breath.

Have you looked at AIG's Earth Science - http://www.answersin...t/?sku=40-1-327

It would be independent and if your DC did all of the activities it would be a good earth science choice. It would not be as rigorous as some, but it would get the job done.

I actually hadn't seen this. I've looked at the AIG programs before, but missed this one. Thanks for pointing it out! We were planning to use Apologia text but if this is 1 - 8th, maybe we'll just all do this and use the Apologia text as additional reading. Hmm - things to consider! :)

I am doing the physical science set from AIG this year with my four oldest(the youngest listens in when he wants to). Honestly, this is the first year that science is getting done EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. I put the vocab words/with definitions on our white board the night/afternoon before, and my kids know they have to copy out the definitions in their notebooks before we sit down together. We sit down together, do all of the reading and questions together(I type the questions onto work sheets ahead of time, so they just fill in the answer.). Then if I have found a good youtube video, we watch that and then if we have not done the experiment before, we will do that as well. I know there are much more rigorous things out there, but my kids enjoy working together and this has been a great year for science. I am torn for next year, because they all want to do AIG's Earth Science together. If I did this, my DD who will be in 9th, will delay Biology until 10th. I don't think she will do Physics, so this probably won't be a problem.

I will be working on the worksheets this summer for AIG Earth Science, so if you decide to go that route, I can email you the worksheets as I get them completed.

I am doing the physical science set from AIG this year with my four oldest(the youngest listens in when he wants to). Honestly, this is the first year that science is getting done EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. I put the vocab words/with definitions on our white board the night/afternoon before, and my kids know they have to copy out the definitions in their notebooks before we sit down together. We sit down together, do all of the reading and questions together(I type the questions onto work sheets ahead of time, so they just fill in the answer.). Then if I have found a good youtube video, we watch that and then if we have not done the experiment before, we will do that as well. I know there are much more rigorous things out there, but my kids enjoy working together and this has been a great year for science. I am torn for next year, because they all want to do AIG's Earth Science together. If I did this, my DD who will be in 9th, will delay Biology until 10th. I don't think she will do Physics, so this probably won't be a problem.

I will be working on the worksheets this summer for AIG Earth Science, so if you decide to go that route, I can email you the worksheets as I get them completed.

Thanks! That's so great to know how well it worked for your family! :) I really think I'm leaning towards this. Have you looked at the AiG worksheets at all? They are around $7 I think and have the questions set up as fill-in the blank like you are making. Did you use the tests or quizzes?

I haven't seen any worksheets that have the vocab and chapter questions. There are worksheets to fill in on the disc that comes with the teacher manual, but those are for additional activities.

Can you provide a link to the worksheets you have seen? It would be awesome if I didn't have to type each one out.