Menu

What is on your read aloud list this year?

lea_lpz

I thought'd be fun to share....

1) 20th Century Children's book Treasury

2)The Complete Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

3) Peter Rabbits Giant Story Book

4) A Family Treasury of Little Golden Books

5) The Real Mother Goose Treasury

6) Poems to Read Aloud to the Very Young

7) Wee Folk Art book list for homeschool companion guides

8) lots if books on science topics and math lit. from mfw 1st's book list

These are the books on my priority list that I hope to complete by the end other year, but have some other books in mind, if time permits.

I will have a 1st grader and pre-k4'er.

We did the following FIAR titles as units, pus a variety of go-along books selected from the library for each (didn't keep a list of those titles).

Harold and the Purple Crayon

The Story about Ping

Mr Gumpy's Motor Car

Madeline

The Salamander Room

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

A New Coat for Anna

Katy and the Big Snow

Peter Rabbit

The Story of Ferdinand

Make Way for Ducklings

Mirette on the High Wire

Papa Piccolo

We also took breaks from FIAR to do a couple of self-made units on the Summer Olympics, Thanksgiving, and Louisiana (our state), so there were books that went with those, but again, I didn't keep a comprehensive list. LOTS of library books.

oh, sorry. I did the list for the current year. I can list what FIAR titles I plan to do next year, if you're interested.

Sure. I'd love to hear about what others are thinking of reading or what they enjoyed reading in the younger years (I feel like this board should be more like pre-k through 2nd or so). I feel like at this point I have enought to get me through the year, but then who knows. We might be going through a summer full of lazy reading.

My idea is to share what story books have captured the interest of children from around 3-7 years old.

Right now, we just got an orignal small copy of the Tale of Jeremy Fischer and my son just marveled at how the book was small and easy for him to "read". He enjoys looking at the pictures to "read". They both seem much more interested in Beatrix Potter this year than last year around this time. Don't know if it's a benefit of doing a lot of read alouds and narration this year from BFIAR and MFW K's book list or maturity but they are being much more able to set and listen to a story and enjoy it.

Ds and I will be doing FIAR this year, so we will choose our picture-book read-alouds from there. But we will do many more stories as audiobooks. We will start WWE1 partway through the year, so I would like ds to be familiar with the literature selections. Most of our audiobooks are therefore from the WWE1 reading selections list:

Grimm's Fairy Tales (selections)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

The Frog Prince

Mary Poppins

Peter Rabbit Collection

Charlotte's Web

The Railway Children

Winnie-the-Pooh

The House at Pooh Corner

The Light Princess

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Velveteen Rabbit

How to Eat Fried Worms

Pollyanna

A Christmas Carol

Little House on the Prairie

Little House in the Big Woods

All-of-a-Kind Family

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

James and the Giant Peach

The Wind in the Willows

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Plus several Jim Weiss audiobooks (we own most of them) and the Rabbit Ears Storybook Collection audiobooks.

Here is what I have planned so far for the coming school year:

20th Century Children's Book Treasury

Eloise Wilkin Stories

The Classic Tales of Brer Rabbit

The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook

Uncle Wiggily's Storybook

I'm interested in this topic. So far I just keep a running list of various "best of" picture books for my DS 4, try to get them at the library, and haven't hit the end of that yet (by far).

Without wanting to hijack, I am curious if anyone has any thoughts about how to know if your child is ready for longer books read aloud. I am not always sure about his comprehension level. I think he's understanding, yet he's unable to give me a summary/synopsis at the end of the book when I ask him. This also makes me wonder how many times I should read the average library book to him before returning it.

My Kinder was working through Peak With Books this year, so we read most of those picture books. As well as some of our own and from the library. Too many to list really. We've also read the MTH series, (we've been reading them since he was 4) all the Ramona Quimby and Henry Huggins books, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Pinnochio, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Wizard of Oz, fairy tales from my various different collections, Beatrix Potter collection, Aesop Fables (the Milo Winter book), EB White books (Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Trumpet of the Swan), some of the Junie B Jones books, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, The Magic Finger.

Wind in the Willows is our current bedtime read aloud again (he prefers reading at bedtime). I've probably read Wind in the Willows a million times between my oldest and my Kinder combined.

• 2 weeks later...

This year we did: The Complete Whinnie the Poo

The Peter Rabbit Collection

Peter and Wendy

The blue, red, and yellow Langs Fairy Books

Next year I'd love to tackle: Aesops fables

Alice's adventures in wonderland

The Wind in the Willows

Pinocchio

The Jungle book

I am going to pick from the first three volumes of FIAR for our picture book read alouds. Haven't done that yet though.

We read chapter books to DD before bedtime, so we will continue to do that. We started with the Little House Series this year (Farmer Boy, Big Woods, and Little Prairie), and I think we will continue with those, as DD enjoyed them. I also like to reread books that we've already read and enjoyed. Top of this list is Heidi, and the Winnie the Pooh Collection. I am thinking of reading The Secret Garden this year, but, although I absolutely love the book, I remember the first chapter being awfully depressing, so we'll see about that.

Question - do you guys pick books in random, are you following some list or following your child's interests? Also, how many times are you reading the same book?

My son can pick a book and request it for story time every.single.day for weeks!!! I don't like saying "no", but sometimes I wonder if our range of books is too narrow.

We do read A LOT of non-fiction - about animals and solar system and oceands and rock collecting, etc etc. But I am just worried that I am not exposing him to a more fiction.

Question - do you guys pick books in random, are you following some list or following your child's interests? Also, how many times are you reading the same book?

My son can pick a book and request it for story time every.single.day for weeks!!! I don't like saying "no", but sometimes I wonder if our range of books is too narrow.

We do read A LOT of non-fiction - about animals and solar system and oceands and rock collecting, etc etc. But I am just worried that I am not exposing him to a more fiction.

Our chapter book reading follows a list. When we go to the library to pick picture books, each of my sons pick 2 and I pick 2 for each. So we have 8 for the week, and a good mix of mommy picked and kid picked.

As for repeating, out of those 8 sometimes we read each once and then one of them 25 times. No joke. I've read a book 4 or 5 times in one day before. Its developmentally appropriate at this age (preschool age, aka 2-7) to enjoy knowing whats about to happen. I only thank God that library books have to be returned When they fall in love with a book we own that way...oh boy. I think I have Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs memorized at this point. :banghead:

We've even finished a chapter book, only to turn back to the beginning and start over. We read Peter Pan, all 300 pages, twice and if it was up to my five year old we would have taken it for a third spin.

Plus several Jim Weiss audiobooks (we own most of them) and the Rabbit Ears Storybook Collection audiobooks.

Did you see these!?!? AWESOME! & Free if you have Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?rh=i%3Ainstant-video%2Cn%3A2858778011%2Ck%3Arabbit+ears+entertainment&keywords=rabbit+ears+entertainment&ie=UTF8

I guess I don't have a set list that we follow for our read-alouds. We're currently reading All-of-a-Kind Family. Over the coming months I hope to get through:

Farmer Boy

Little House on the Prairie

The Secret Garden

James and the Giant Peach

The Burgess Animal Book for Children

This is what we've read this past year:

7 Burgess books

Little House in the Big Woods

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

My Father's Dragon trilogy

The Boxcar Children

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Pippi Longstocking

Charlotte's Web

I really love reading from beautifully illustrated books, so the titles with links show the particular edition that I love :)

Fairy Tales

Raggedy Ann in the Deep Deep Woods

Beatrix Potter the Complete Tales

The Real Mother Goose

A Bear Called Paddington

Paddington Abroad

Paddington Goes to Town

Paddington on Top

Paddington Here and Now

Winnie the Pooh

Charlotte’s Web

Pippi Longstocking

Pippi on the Run

Pippi Goes to School

Pippi in the South Seas

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle’s Farm

Hello Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Capyboppy

Trumpet of the Swan

My kids would lean toward the same. I choose to address it with routine. Our read aloud routine is--

During school time: our FIAR book. Obviously we read that one more than once, plus any go-along books that I want to include in our FIAR unit

Before rest time/after lunch: one of two things, depending on whether we're in the middle of a chapter book or not (we've just started enjoying some chapter books). If we're reading a chapter book, then I read a chapter of that, plus a poem or fable (I keep a couple of poetry and fable books out on the coffee table), plus the "helper of the day" (we have a chart) gets to choose one story book to read. If we're not in the middle of a chapter book, then I choose a story book, and so do each of my kids, plus we read a poem or fable. I usually choose one of the nonfiction books we have out of the library on subjects that have been of interest. They usually choose their favorite story titles that we've heard 100 times.

Before bed: bible stories with Daddy

Plus they'll bring me stuff to read whenever, and I try to say yes as often as I can.

The routine forces some variety. They're not the only ones choosing, we read different types of books at different parts of the day, yet they do have the chance to hear their favorites over and over, which i think is normal for small children. And valuable.

For "school time" - we've been doing BFIAR/FIAR books - so we read one book for a week. - I pick

For snack time - We read My Book House selections (nursery rhymes, fables, poems, etc). I pick these but my boys often want to re-read old ones - which I do. (they're not long)

For bed time - The boys each pick one picture book from a book basket of about 10-15 books (they can pick the same book over and over again, however, we have lots of books, so I do switch the book basket out every 1-2 months.) Then I read 1-2 chapters of a chapter book. (Which I usually pick).

During the day - if they want to read a picture book - I read it.

We do a combination of both.

AM read alouds: books related to what we are studying in school

Before nap: books I would like to read from my read aloud list for pleasure + pick from child; in a treasury they can chose which story we haven't read yet

Before bed: similar, often re-read books on what we're studying they especially enjoyed and want to share with dad; for 1st, since we are studying the Bible, we are thinking of doing a nightly Bible reading from Maxwell's The Bible Story

So it might look like:

AM: science / math lit. books / Wee Folk Art

Noon: kids pick from read aloud choices until we get through book list or book list and kids take turns picking old faves, etc.

Evening: Bible stories