Menu

IEW's high school literature -- has anyone used it?

I'd love to hear from any of you who have used the IEW literature studies for high school. My eighth grader needs and enjoys a challenge for literature. These look good to me, but I don't know anyone who uses them.

Any info would be appreciated!

Windows to the World is fabulous! Purchase the syllabus, i think it's called something like "Intro to Literature." Everything is laid out w/what to read, when to read it and assignments to complete. I can't say enough good things about it.

Dd just started Literature II, the one with Robinson Crusoe, and really likes it. We couldn't get the American Lit. Because of a redesign and while I was disappointed suspect that this was the best choice for dd. She has been coordinating it on her own for the most part and it is going smoothly. So far her essays are on track and I see some improvement. I has been a long time since we used an IEW product and easy so far.

Are you looking at Excellence in Literature?

First, if you child has never done any literary analysis I strong second the PPs who recommend Window to the World and Intro to Lit syllabus (they work in tandem). Then move into EIL.

I started EIL with my child and we ended up backtracking and using WttW/ItL due to her inexperience handling literature at that level and speed.

Second, I spent a great deal of time talking about EIL with Janice Campbell at a convention and am very much looking forward to digging into her books. One useful takeaway was that the units do function independently. You could substitute or combine units to customize your literature course-even across EIL syllabi.

Be sure to look at her website-right now it seems to have more up on it than IEW has... EIL site.

We haven't used it yet, but I purchased the 5 yr set from the Excellence in Literature website and plan on using it next year with my rising 8th and 10th graders. They are used to this level of literature (and in fact, have already read some of the books), but they aren't used to the volume. I am going to see how they do and possibly modify the load accordingly since I'm planning on having them follow the Honors track.

Are you looking at Excellence in Literature?

First, if you child has never done any literary analysis I strong second the PPs who recommend Window to the World and Intro to Lit syllabus (they work in tandem). Then move into EIL.

I started EIL with my child and we ended up backtracking and using WttW/ItL due to her inexperience handling literature at that level and speed.

Second, I spent a great deal of time talking about EIL with Janice Campbell at a convention and am very much looking forward to digging into her books. One useful takeaway was that the units do function independently. You could substitute or combine units to customize your literature course-even across EIL syllabi.

Be sure to look at her website-right now it seems to have more up on it than IEW has... EIL site.

Thank you for your advice. I looked into each of these, and Windows to the World looks just right. I didn't see the Intro to Lit syllabus -- is it somewhere on the IEW website?

And I'd never heard of EIK, but just spent a chunk of time reading through that site. Thank you so much for the link. I have learned so much on these boards!

Thank you for your advice. I looked into each of these, and Windows to the World looks just right. I didn't see the Intro to Lit syllabus -- is it somewhere on the IEW website?

And I'd never heard of EIK, but just spent a chunk of time reading through that site. Thank you so much for the link. I have learned so much on these boards!

You are most welcome! I don't think you'd be going wrong with either choice. Be sure to note that the Jill Pike Intro Syllabus comes with downloadable files of the teacher and student pages (ie they are free with purchase of the book). The info on how to get them is on the first page of the book. It was much easier to print the assignments this way than to copy the book.

I suppose I should add that Janice Campbell also recommended The Elegant Essay as a help/resource for all the writing connected with EIL. She also has the Handbook for Writers and an brief guide to help the teacher called something about evaluating writing. I am not deep enough into any of these yet to give a solid review. I do think they look worthy of consideration.

Windows to the World is fabulous! Purchase the syllabus, i think it's called something like "Intro to Literature." Everything is laid out w/what to read, when to read it and assignments to complete. I can't say enough good things about it.

I used "Windows to the World" last year and "Elegant Essays" this year and I was very frustrated with both. I had to spend so much time trying to figure out what I was supposed to do since the instructor's manual didn't line up with the student manual. My daughter and I loved "Windows" despite those flaws, but EE drove me crazy since it was so poorly organized.