Menu

I hate the arrival of the Memoria Press catalog...

SunnyDays

... Because it makes me want to throw everything else out the window and start all over with these lovely books. Sigh. ;)

Okay, there are some pieces I wouldn't change, but there are so, so many pretty things in those pages! I find myself looking for ways to incorporate more of it....

I was thinking the same thing as Tress - there is a new catalog?...I have the Winter one, but nothing more recent...

I made an order with them Friday to take advantage of free shipping...It should be here tomorrow :D

I guess I did throw just about everything else aside to try their packages...We will be using three packages in the fall...

I throw it immediately into the recycling bin. LOL Along with most of the other catalogs I get. I don't want to be tempted.

Say it ain't so! :scared:

Just kidding, I understand totally about not wanting to be tempted...Lots of catalogs hit the recycling bin once they get here, but I have to read "The Classical Teacher" ;)

Ugh. I feel you.

I was two seconds away from scrapping our next year plans and going with MP packages instead... until I realized that dd11 is taking writing, grammar, and science at co-op, we're happy with our current math... so that doesn't leave me with much in an MP package, lol!

I am, however, planning to order their Jr K package for my son... supplementing with more phonics and more math.

I always read the articles, and we use a lot of the same books, but I'm not interested in their workbooks. Now I'd LOVE it if they sold just the recitation guides. They said they might someday ... maybe I should check again. Haha!

I always read the articles, and we use a lot of the same books, but I'm not interested in their workbooks. Now I'd LOVE it if they sold just the recitation guides. They said they might someday ... maybe I should check again. Haha!

I bought just the recitations for next year. $3 for one grade level. It would be great if they would put all the grade levels together in one book. . .maybe include their grammar recitations also.

I see First Form Greek being offered as an online course, but no mention of the program for sale. I'm wondering if the program will be available soon for purchase? I might have to change up our foreign language plans if they have a solid Greek program available soon. :hurray:

First of all, I can't believe some of you just got yours yesterday or the day before. I must be on some quick mail list because they know I will order :) So the free shipping ends today. I got my order in yesterday.

AMEN (a million times)!!!!!! Those new art cards for the lower grades look pretty nice!

And yep, I threw in an order of the K ones to check them out. I hope it has different paintings than the 2 Usborne art and artists books I have and the complete collection of What Your X Grader Needs to Know on my shelf has... but even if not, they are in those nice neat little cards, making it easier to put one up to study.....

I think they know my weaknesses.. new catalog, free shipping.... I never had a chance.

I bought just the recitations for next year. $3 for one grade level. It would be great if they would put all the grade levels together in one book. . .maybe include their grammar recitations also.

How did you buy just the recitations? Did you have to call them?? Thanks!

Oh, I missed $3 recitations books. What page is that on? I could still put in one more order today. And yay on First Form Greek. I can see that in our high school plans.

How did you buy just the recitations? Did you have to call them?? Thanks!

I called them and asked if I could buy just the second grade recitations and they said, "yes!" $3. I loved it. $3 is totally worth my not coming up with my own recitations. I had used their recitations for K and 1, so I knew I would be happy with them.

Cool - I called them up, asked for the 3rd & 4th grade recitations, paid $6 and had them in my email within half an hour! Now I'm back to drooling on their other products, haha.

I tried the student only literature guides, but not the teacher ones. They weren't for me - too many comprehension questions and WAY too much writing. I decided to stick with narration, and use the time they would have been filling in answers to read more books (or play outside!). That said, I've always wondered that if I'd bought the teacher's guide, maybe I could have used them orally. If I end up getting something for literature, it will probably be teaching the classics.

I received my catalog two days ago. I have it in my car and keep reading it from cover to cover in between running my kids to extra curriculars. I've never used their stuff because I also have so much curriculum that I can't justify it and daily lesson plans don't work that well with us. But....still......drool.

I really wish I had gone with my gut starting out with K and my older son. Too many shiny things. However, he is a boy so maybe it would have backfired (telling myself that). However, we will do Latin and the handwriting from them this year. I may pick up a few literature guides too.

However, my daughter will do the JrK program this year, I am excited to see what it is.

If you go to convention do you pick it up in person or do they ship??

And to whomever wanted to know about the free shipping, they emailed it me. I then looked at their website, and didn't see it posted anywhere. So when I called I just double checked that it was still free shipping for the month of April, and they confirmed.

Thank you!

I requested one few weeks ago but I still haven't got it yet. I've never looked at one... but I was really interested in their curriculum online. I'm getting ready to place my Rainbow Resource order, okay, more like HAUL, on Friday.. should I wait? ;)

And I hate it when the new RR catalog comes because by the time it does I've already ordered everything for the year... why would they ship them in the summer!??!? I start planning early, and I use my catalog so much that it literally falls to pieces..

Has anyone used their literature guides? I'm getting some Moving Beyond the Page lit guides from Rainbow, then I saw they also have MP lit guides that look good too. Now I'm thinking of doing a mix of both.

We've used the Illiad and Odyssey, The Trojan War, Horatius at the Bridge and the Divine Comedy- LOVE MP's lit guides! (btw: I have MP's Treasure Island SM and TM -brandnew- for sale :) )

If I had read all those grammar articles in the past, they would have hooked me into buying their new products. I'm a lot harder to persuade now than I was in the past. If time, money and student interest were unlimited, maybe I'd want to include all that stuff, but they are not. Since I'm not going to USE the new MP stuff INSTEAD of the more efficient and minimalist things I'm using, they don't tempt me. I continue to tweak, but do not overhaul quickly anymore.

I felt a momentary pull, and some guilt and confusion, but quickly started to laugh, closed the catalog, and tossed it on the table. They are good salesmen; I'll give them that.

Has anyone used their literature guides? I'm getting some Moving Beyond the Page lit guides from Rainbow, then I saw they also have MP lit guides that look good too. Now I'm thinking of doing a mix of both.

I bought one and when I received it returned it the next day. It was boring! I typed the book title along with either "literture guide", "curriculum", or "lesson plans" into google and found a wonderful guide that went more indepth, had better comprehension questions and even had hands on activities. What I found was broken down by chapter (similair to MP) and pulled out vocabulary words (like MP). It was free. I downloaded it and plan to use it in the fall. I have no plans or intention of even looking at MP for a lit guuide again.

We are in the middle of Sonlight right after using MP for several years. My catalog came the other day too and I'm thinking about going back to it. Which kinda stinks considering last year I bought all the Sonlight years I needed for my last 6 kids' years until high school. :crying:

I bought one and when I received it returned it the next day. It was boring! I typed the book title along with either "literture guide", "curriculum", or "lesson plans" into google and found a wonderful guide that went more indepth, had better comprehension questions and even had hands on activities. What I found was broken down by chapter (similair to MP) and pulled out vocabulary words (like MP). It was free. I downloaded it and plan to use it in the fall. I have no plans or intention of even looking at MP for a lit guuide again.

I have used much of MP curriculum and loved it all except I'm not real keen on their literature guides.

The lit guides didn't suit us either, as a written exercise, but I have considered getting the teachers guide for the questions.

Well, I did manage to sneak an order in earlier today! I resisted some items I wanted, but still somehow spent a fair chunk of money!! ;)

I love the look of MP's catalog, and Sonlights, Winter Promise's and all of the other pretty catalogs (my pretties....), and they enormously appeal to my OCD, all these pretty packages and bundles to unwrap, organize and line up on my shelf....

But, they wouldn't get used. lol. Every now and again I re-look back at something (usually when I get a catalog from that company) and get all excited till I again find the reason why we don't want that curricula.

I need to write a list up of curricula's I look at and why I am not interested....because I always forget....like now....when I want to start looking at MP again (I think it was because it relied on narration, copywork and that sort of thing?) I suppose I will remember again in a minute...once I finish looking....

There was one year when I splurged on MP after receiving their catalog. We didn't use a single purchased resource (and the boy still learned a ton without them)! Homeschool curriculum catalogs are definitely getting prettier...I used to work with a creative team designing catalogs and brochures etc. so I have an idea of how expensive the costs are. I tell (ahem, I mean, console, convince, argue with) myself that the curriculum prices will need to make up for that cost so no way I'm going to pay so much again.

So now, I keep a few catalogs to cut up and use for origami/ christmas crafts etc. But MP's goes straight into the recycle bin the moment I receive it. I don't even want to risk a peek. :tongue_smilie:

I called them and asked if I could buy just the second grade recitations and they said, "yes!" $3. I loved it. $3 is totally worth my not coming up with my own recitations. I had used their recitations for K and 1, so I knew I would be happy with them.

I have been really curious about those recitations for some time now. 3$ is very tempting.

What's the difference between the K and 1st grade recitations? Next year I will have a K and 2nd grader, but my then K'er is already reading on a second grade level now. Should I try to combine them both using the 1st grade recitation? Or keep them seperate in K and 2nd?

I have been really curious about those recitations for some time now. 3$ is very tempting.

What's the difference between the K and 1st grade recitations? Next year I will have a K and 2nd grader, but my then K'er is already reading on a second grade level now. Should I try to combine them both using the 1st grade recitation? Or keep them seperate in K and 2nd?

I combine my children.

Each year the first few weeks are a review of the year before. So if you start with the first grade recitations, you will still get most of what they memorized in K. These recitations do not include art or poetry recitations, just basic fact recitations.

I combine my children.

Each year the first few weeks are a review of the year before. So if you start with the first grade recitations, you will still get most of what they memorized in K. These recitations do not include art or poetry recitations, just basic fact recitations.

Thank you, Lori.

I had hoped it would contain art and poetry. Hmmmm, I have to think about this some more. I'm not able to use MP's product for the lower grades, because English is a foreign language for us. Maybe I'm better off making my own recitation for K-3 and start using MP's when I start using some of their products (Christian Studies, FMOR, Henle). Still, might be useful to see how they are doing it, to make my own. I like the idea of doing recitations, but am not really clear on how to do it.

I don't use their grammar or the full packs. I am pretty sure I wouldn't like their Lit guides as I don't like the student workbooks that go with the Christian Studies. But I use the C.S. T.M. to guide my kids through the Christian studies and we notebook on our own. But I do like their new science choices (even though they are mostly just other publishers with their own guides to go along..) They suit us to add to our science studies at home.

I couldn't ever use a full day by day program. It wouldn't fit me. I don't like so much writing as is in their guides. But I still love what I love from them: latin, the Christian studies T.M, their science collections. I go to them 2nd after WTM when I am looking for something new to see how they cover it. I will use their logic I am sure when we get there, and probably some of their higher level lit guides for high school, when I feel I will need more. And I LOVE their shiny catalog with its interesting articles :)

ETA... and I want so much to purchase that jr. K for my DN that I will be hsing next year. But I must resist. Because when it comes down to it, I don't need to spend over $100 to teach her what she needs to know to get ready for K. I still want it though!

I have to keep telling myself "NO! Curriculum packages with daily plans do not work for you! Stay away!"

For this reason, I have given family members permission to smack me if I start talking about HOD again. MP would fall in the same category.

MP products are really easy to use at your own pace...just save yourself $30 and don't buy the lesson plans. :D I use a lot of MP products, but there is no way I could follow their lesson plans. I had my 5th grader do two of the Famous Men books for history this year (so history twice per week instead of just once) and I also had her outline the following day from the chapter she read. I don't assign a free-reading day, so I use the lit guides daily for 3rd grade and on alternating days for 5th grade. I am perfectly capable of doing a lesson a day for R&S English, the math curriculum we use, and a lesson per week for R&S Spelling. FFL is taking longer than one school year because I only have her do one worksheet per day, so she is moving at a slower pace than one lesson per week (the lessons have 4-6 worksheets plus a quiz). The lesson plans are available for those that need it scheduled out for them, but their products do not rely on the lesson plan at all. If the book has 30 or 34 lessons or whatever, just do a lesson per week whenever and however you would like, and you will finish in a year. If you want to finish in a semester, just do two lessons per week. It is totally different from the way HOD is laid out, where you are tied to the schedule.

I used their 3rd and 5th grade lit packages this year. I really, really liked them. The only thing I think I will do differently is to only buy the TM's for the upper grades...the only reason that the older kids need the workbook is if you want them to do it on their own (and it really isn't designed for that) or if the student needs practice writing answers in complete sentences. My rising 6th grader doesn't need to practice that any more, so I am going to probably just order the TM's for next year. They work really well just as discussion guides, and they include the occasional writing assignment in case that sort of thing is needed. I like the student workbooks for the younger grades - at least until the student is really good at writing answers in complete sentences. The workbooks for the 3rd grade program included some drawing that my daughter really enjoyed. The review lessons included a story board that she could illustrate, and she has enjoyed drawing a map of New Dollar Street as we read The Moffats, adding houses and such as they appear in the story.

When my older daughter was in 3rd (I think) she did one lit guide from Moving Beyond the Page and she really enjoyed it, so I would recommend giving them a try as well.