Menu

Would you have your son take the ACT test again?

Shelly in IL

He got a 27, which is great! His lowest was science, however, which he got a 24 on. Would you have him take an ACT prep class solely on science and test again? He, of course, doesn't want to, but he is eligible for a full-ride scholarship if he has around at 29 or 30. I don't want to push too hard, though.

FOLLOW up on post 11. Thanks.

In short, yes. The science section is the hardest to nail even with a student who is solid. It can't hurt to take it again and the possible payoff is huge. Let's say he studies 20 hours for the next try and ends up getting a full ride. He just earned how much per hour? Thousands! Perhaps if you present it that way he will see the benefit. Definitely emphasize that a 27 is an awesome score. It is simply worth a try to raise the science portion, which is tricky. I am trying to approach it more as an effort to conquer the ACT than a statement on intelligence or level of education achieved. Hopefully my son will see it that way.

I just read your op more closely, oops lol.

Do you need to have him take a prep class? Have you considered doing prep at home? He can work through the "Real ACT Prep Guide" (aka the red book 'cause it's red) during the summer. One good way of studying is by going through a practice test, section by section, untimed, reading every explanation of every problem as he goes over the answers. Do that for two or three practice tests, then take a few practice tests timed. This is known as the "Xiggi method," named after a poster on College Confidential.

Your son could use other prep books for additional material, especially if he needs more science section practice. Just recently someone posted on the High School board for ACT science section tips. You might look there :)

My dd used the Xiggi method of studying and raised her SAT score by 350 points (!!!!) from last May to this past October.

I took it three times when I was in high school to get that 30, ended up with a 31. Science reasoning was always my lowest, 27 in that section for the last try. Looking back I should have gone through some test prep for science, since I only took biology and chemistry in high school. I was missing a big chunk of physics exposure.

Well, this was his 2nd time. He took it cold and got a 25. He took it just recently with some attention paid to the ACT prep book. His scores varied from a 31 combined writing and English, 26 in math, and a 24 in Science. We haven't figured out how to study for the Science properly. We took several of the tests in the ACT prep book. Does this change any opinions?

Well, this was his 2nd time. He took it cold and got a 25. He took it just recently with some attention paid to the ACT prep book. His scores varied from a 31 combined writing and English, 26 in math, and a 24 in Science. We haven't figured out how to study for the Science properly. We took several of the tests in the ACT prep book. Does this change any opinions?

I would still have him retake it.

My answer would be different if the student could not budge his score after retaking twice - but your son was able to improve.

My answer would also be different if the student was close to the elusive perfect when a further improvement would be highly unlikely - but with scores like your son's, there is room that makes it worthwhile.

Many students find these youtube videos for the ACT science preparation helpful:

Yep, I would have him retake. Science was my lowest score the 1st time I took it as well. Once I understood the format (and that I would need to read/skim more quickly), my score jumped majorly in science. Though some of my others actually dropped a touch, my composite went up 3 points on the 2nd test and put me into prime scholarship range.

Unless you have the $$ to easily afford the college he wants to go to without debt, then I'd have him retake it or take the SAT to go for the scholarship $$. It's definitely worth it. Change prep books if he's already gone through one. Barrons is very good for concentrating on the harder problems. Princeton Review is very good for coming close to the actual test. Stay away from Kaplans (IME).