Menu

Can I really Homeschool? -Science?

Guest NavyMomO

Guest NavyMomO

Ok, I know I've already taught my boys a lot... they function well and sometimes get along. I could teach them to count, add, subtract, multiply, read, write, color, cut..... the list goes on. But would it take me forever, or would I forget something they should learn...probably. But as I look at all the curricula available, I'm overwhelmed. I think I've made some good selections that I can live with or scrap and not feel guilty if I want to try something else. BUT science is a subject I hated myself as a kid (and now I'm an engineer... go figure!) and I struggle with weighing my options. I get lost in the acronymns on the forums I read. Can anyone make a suggestion? Thanks!

Have you read Susan Wise Bauer's The Well Trained Mind? I think that's a good place to start. It may suit you, it may not.

If that seems overwhelming, find another book (that appeals to you )about starting homeschooling, like :

The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child: Your Complete Guide to Getting Off to the Right Start

Then I'd take one subject at a time and choose a curriculum.

Keep coming to forums like this for support and suggestions or find a local homeschooling group.

You certainly can do this!

I agree with the WTM suggestion.

I would also take a look at some catalogs for ideas. Rainbow Resource you can sit down and read like a book. Great general home ed catalog with a good science section. DH kept a copy of it in the car for me to read while waiting for him for years. It is two inches thick! Lots of ideas. Timberdoodle is another that I have been looking at recently which might appeal to the engineer in you. Lots of hands on projects. Hopefully after you see some more of the choices without acronyms describing them science will seem easier!

Guest NavyMomO

Thanks for the comments. I've been reading through WTM (wow! my first acronym on this site!) and was disappointed to find some of the resource no longer available for science. Maybe that's why I'm more anxious about that subject. I'll definitely have to get the Rainbow Resource catalog. It sounds very different from the other catalogs I've seen. Thanks again!

What grade levels are you talking about? What kinds of things do you think your kids are interested in? Are they kids who like workbooks? textbooks? hands-on? getting out in nature?

I used a lot of Usborne books and "fun" science books for my kids in elementary school, but when my middle dd (the really science-y one) got to the end of 4th grade, she told me that using fun books for school ruined the fun for her. She wanted those books to be just for fun. She wanted a regular textbook for science for school. We still did more fun stuff for history, but we switched to textbooks for science.

What are your kids like?

How old are your kids? My oldest is starting kindy and I'm not planning to do anything formal for science for several years. We get science related library books and I buy some fun science picture books about stuff she's interested in. I really feel that this will be enough for K-2 anyhow. And we are a 2-engineer family, so science is certainly valued here. But the early years are really about the stuff you listed - basic math stuff, learning to read and write. We do other stuff, but mostly as-interested and without a real curriculum.

• 2 weeks later...