Menu

Latin Cambride, Latin Prep or something else

jeandh

Hi all,

I need help in Latin for ds 12 years old going into 7th grade. My question is what to do for 7th grade? I want him to take Henle 1 in 8th grade for high school credit. This is what we have done so far:

4th grade Prima Latina

5th grade LC I

6th grade FF

I have heard that 2nd Form is not analytical enough for 7th grade.

I am thinking of Cambridge Unit 1 or Latin Prep not sure what level to hold him until Henle. He will be using Rod & Staff grammar 7 to go with.

What do you think I should use & what level if any would be appropriate for Latin Prep?

Thanks.

Jean

Latin Prep starts from the beginning but accelerates fairly fast. It was designed for age 10 and up - I would say that it would be ideal for 7th grade.

Cambridge is a different kind of programme. It relies much more on reading and picking up Latin, with grammar added in. Latin Prep is more of a traditional parts-to-whole programme. As an amateur teacher, I found a traditional programme to be easier to teach.

Laura

Henle is a perfectly fine program, which has no (Latin) prerequisites. I don't understand the need to have years upon years of prep work for a class with no prerequisites. I love Latin, but I say, if you are going to do Latin, just do Latin. Jump in with both feet. Go slow if you need to, but go rigorously. Start Henle in 7th, and go slow. Or, wait until high school and do it there, and use the saved time to focus on English grammar and usage.

We used GsWL before Henle because Dd needed some sort of introductory book. However, for an older child, you could just use Henle at a slower pace in the beginning, and since your child has completed FFl 1, the beginning part of Henle is mostly review in grammar, as I understand FFL is based on Henle. Henle is actually really easy to start, basically open and go. If you need an answer key, Seton's key is cheap and complete. http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=S-L1HS-12

I'm not willing to spend money on FFL when Henle is just as a good. Latin Prep is probably more enjoyable, better font size, more white space with cute cartoons, but I felt more comfortable with Henle as a teacher.

Thank you ladies for your replies. The only reason I am waiting on Henle is because I want ds to get the high school credit. He can only get the credit starting in 8th grade. He is a proficient latin student & enjoys it, but we need 3 credits here for foreign language, I don't want to get him too far and we will not have any curriculum options left. I don't want him to finish Henle too early and not get 3 credits out of it.

I hope that clarifies my thinking & explains why I am looking for something in between. I don't want to stop latin & lose our momentum. I want to do a program that will be enjoyable & lead nicely into Henle.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Jean

I don't want to get him too far and we will not have any curriculum options left. I don't want him to finish Henle too early and not get 3 credits out of it.

There's never any danger of running out of Latin to study. There are four volumes of Henle Latin which cover four years at a rapid pace, and could legitimately be stretched to five years of credit, after which there are many option for AP Latin.

Thanks Laura for the quick response. Do you think Latin Prep 1 would be the correct place to start or Latin Prep 2?

Thanks.

Jean

I usually recommend starting with LP1: you can always move through the early chapters fast if they are review. There's a good amount of translation Latin-English and English-Latin which can be quite stretching.

Laura