Menu

How do YOU teach letter sounds?

carriede

I wanted to gauge my DS3's ability to begin reading. He's almost 4 and has his letters and letter sounds down pretty well.

So long story short, he pronounced the word "at" as "a-tuh", with a distinct u sound after the t.

I'm trying hard to laugh it off, but it's obvious I taught him his letter sounds incorrectly. I know I'm just going to have to emphasis the proper sounds from now on and hope he catches on.

So, what methods do you all use to teach proper letter sounds? Or did you just manage not to screw up like I did? ;)

We tried multiple different things and its just didn't work with retention.

So now we're going to be using Bearing Away, with our own "tiles".

So it will consist daily of:

- Book along the lines of OPGTR (just simple AIO book) called Bearing Away

- Flashcards

- Sandpaper Letter Cards

We've tried ETC, OPGTR, Fitzroy ABC, Leapfrog Videos, and the retention just doesn't remain, so now we're onto something like daily drilling with flashcards, and using the sandpaper letters to trace the letter before shes "awarded" a flashcard.

I tried to do it myself...the kid didn't catch on.

So I went to the Leapfrog video and IPAD apps and he learnt them in 3 days.

I then tried to teach him blending.....again he had no clue.

I found an IPAD app for it and he went from clueless to expert blender in 20 minutes.

No wonder it took my poor DD a year to learn to read LOL .... I wish I had the video and IPAD then. Obviously I am not meant to do it myself.

I found an IPAD app for it and he went from clueless to expert blender in 20 minutes.

No wonder it took my poor DD a year to learn to read LOL .... I wish I had the video and IPAD then. Obviously I am not meant to do it myself.

if i may inquire, which app did you use for blending? we're past that with my oldest, but i didn't find one that worked for him. (leap frog word factory video was the winner).

I taught my 2 year olds the letter sounds just by pointing them out in alphabet books, but at the same time I was blending for her so that she heard it orally. With my first child I made some of the mistakes you pointed out and she had no problems when learning to blend despite it - I have since corrected myself for the second child.

Leapfrog it is! That particular one doesn't seem to be on Netflix... Boo.

Thanks!!

Yep, Netflix has the newer ones (which we do watch sometimes) but I find myself going to the original. Once they know the letter sounds pretty well we begin Phonics Pathways. This has been the most straight-forward & successful method for our family.

I also used Leapfrog Letter Factory for the one kid that didn't learn them on his own. :)

I really like Phonics Pathways for blending after that. My 3 year old (almost 4) uses it, though we stay in the "easy section". He could go farther, but he's just not mature enough to want to "work" at learning. So I let him pick which page we do. Today, he was reading: "a s-a sa... e s-e se... i s-i si..." lightening fast. It was hilarious. :lol:

We did watch the Leap Frog video for a while, and then once DD showed an interest in workbooks, we switched to the ETC A/B/C books. I'm about halfway through book B with my youngest. We usually do 1 letter over a 1-2 day span. I also have letter picture cards that we sort by beginning sound after each lesson (I pick 3 letters we've previously learned).

We did watch the Leap Frog video for a while, and then once DD showed an interest in workbooks, we switched to the ETC A/B/C books. I'm about halfway through book B with my youngest. We usually do 1 letter over a 1-2 day span. I also have letter picture cards that we sort by beginning sound after each lesson (I pick 3 letters we've previously learned).

My dd loves workbooks, we've gone throu a bunch of kuman writing books already. (she does them with big bro) thanks for the rec!

I also agree Leapfrog Letter Factory!! My daughter will be 3 next week and 4 weeks ago barely knew any of her letters she just wasn't interested at all. My sister gave me letter factory and after watching it 3 times in 2 days she knows her upper and lower case and all the sounds! 4 weeks later and she is all about letters and has insisted on starting Phonics Pathways like her 4 year old brother. She is already starting to blend letters a bit. That dvd sparked her love for letters!

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another vote for Leapfrog Letter Factory. DD already knew most of sounds by the time we got the DVD, but this solidified them all for her.

And I'd already read a warning somewhere about teaching sounds with the vowel sound attached (tuh, duh) so I had a head start :)

We have done starfall and that was helpful for me to know how to teach k blending and letter sounds which is tricky to teach because you don't really think about letter sounds / blends after learning to read solidly.

I've seen the leapfrog DVD letter factory recommended before and am glad to hear others have liked it before buying. I am attempting to be more selective about what I buy now because I went overboard last year as a new homeschool mom.

Which iPad app did you use for blending?

Hey, has anyone seen / used this book from the Logic of English - Doodling Dragons?

http://www.logicofen...-book-of-sounds

It's only $15, sounds interesting... I don't know if I'd go for the whole program as it is pricey and I only have one left to teach phonics... we use Alpha Phonics...

They also have a neat ipad app (now if I only had an ipad or iphone!):

https://itunes.apple...=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Another one interested in the app!!!

• 2 weeks later...