Menu

Base 10 or c-rods?

Okeychowie

We love our c-rods, hundred flats and thousand cubes. Just playing with c-rods is a learning experience. Are the base 10 things the little blocks that stick together? We use those for playing "Sum Swamp" but that's the only thing we use them for.

C-rods are more versatile IMO, so that's what I bought when I needed to choose between the 2. I'm hoping to add base 10 flats (& maybe a thousand cube) for next year. Between the c-rod 1 & 10 rods, and the base 10 flats, we should be able to illustrate place value :)

I think they both have their place. C-rods you can show number bonds with, fractions, multiplication and division concepts wtih. Have you seen rosies videos at Education Unboxed? They are great!

If you had hundreds flats, and thousands cubes to c-rods you can do even more. You can also show borrowing and exchanging with c-rods.

I like my base ten set. The c rods are better at number bonds but I feel like base ten are better for everything else. Maybe that's just me though, because I had base ten when I was a child. When I've really wanted some c rods I've just pulled out the Legos.

But Legos are Legos and C-rods are c-rods. The thing about c-rods are the fact that they are in cm increments. Now you could learn to add and such with legos or beans or anything really. But c-rods are unique as a material.

To answer the OP, both. If you only want to get one, get c-rods, but both have their place.