Menu

What to do with completed workbooks?

blondeviolin

Keep a few pages in a three-ring notebook; toss the rest.

Normally I have no problem tossing workbooks, but I'm having issues tossing their binders with their SOTW stuff. It's got all of their narrations and mapwork, so it's like the story of the world in THEIR words.

My boys pick what they want to keep. I toss the rest. My older was amused looking at what he drew or write in kindergarten. He asked me to show him my kindergarten work. Too bad all I have is some of my university textbooks which didn't have my class time doodles.

So far my oldest is just finishing up 1st. ;) I keep it in a box. My oldest loves to look through from K and see how he has improved in his handwriting and drawing. His siblings like to see what he did too. And, I love it when they question if this is *really* what their older brother did and I can show them it is. (They want to do exactly what he did. Silly kids.)

I have 6 kids. I will probably start getting a box or notebook for each child for each year. When it is full, I will figure out what to throw away. I'm sure I can't do this, but for now, I intend to keep all the things like you are talking about and whatever else fits in their box. And anyways, why can't I keep them all if I want to. I mean....it's only 6 kids...times 13 years of schooling....just a measly 78 boxes of school stuff when it's all done. If he needs to, my husband can work extra to pay for a storage unit. I'm sure he'll be glad to do it. ;)

My state law requires that I keep a portfolio of records for 2 years. At the end of the year, we show all of our work to our evaluator, then it goes into a big rubbermaid bin for 2 years. Then I pull it out and keep a few things - the rest goes in the recycle bin.

Last year I pulled out my DS's journal writings from when he was in 1st grade. They were SO cute! That kind of stuff is worth keeping. Math pages, etc., get pitched.

Large projects, like the ocean boxes we are making for science, will have a picture taken, then get disassembled/pitched as soon as we finish.

I hear you on the SOTW maps and all -- I will be saving all of those. (Otherwise, I just save a handful of samples for each subject for each year.) I keep them in the small notebook things, the kind that Staples often has on sale for a penny each in the summer; they're a folder but have the 3 prongs in the middle. They don't take up as much room as a full binder. I use duct tape to make an edge on them that I can then 3-hole-punch so I can put them in our portfolio binders (like here: http://littlehomeschoolonthehill.com/2008/03/19/new-use-for-duct-tape/). It's still going to be a lot of space by the time I've homeschooled five kids through high school, but that's okay.

Ugghh, I recycle it all. I hate when a grandparent or inlaw brings me a box of old things that I have to now figure out what to do with them. I hate when suddenly a spelling test or a mid term report takes on such great importance because it is 30 years old

But then I work very hard at keeping very few things in our whole house. Less is more.

My parents still have almost all of my schoolbooks. I have a feeling I will not want to throw away anything. Interestingly when my kids visit their grandparents they want to see what we did as children. I have a box that I keep my DD's things in for now. I am not sure what I will do as it piles up.

I keep our SOTW stuff, our Science workbooks (I use Nancy Larson), and our handwriting books (HWOT) but other than that, it all goes to recycling. I hate having extra stuff taking up valuable space. I will keep samples of writing too, when we really get into that. But math worksheeets, spelling tests, grammar worksheets....to the recycling it goes.

I keep everything. If it's a random workbook (like the kind from Walmart)something that was just picked up by them with no real structure, or some random printout from online or an ebook I toss it. We have a tub for each child in the attic and at the end of the year their stuff goes in there. I only save a few art projects and a few writing projects. I use binders in the tubs. The 3 inch wide ones. And I hole punch and store loose things by subject. From the things i choose to keep I can fit 2 years worth of stuff in one large binder. Workbooks just get thrown in there. I don't take them apart. I just can't throw it away. Just can't. We use sketchbooks and nice coloring pencils fro dictation so throwing that away would be just wrong. It would crush my kid. I try to save a good representation from each subject covered that year.