Menu

Best VA area Civil War sites?

Well, depends if you want all day or just a few hours in the afternoon or so.

Petersburg is neat--I really enjoyed it.

You could come to Pohick for an hour or so--we are more Rev War, but we were a command post (or whatever you call it) for the first aeronautical (ballonists) folks in the Civil War. There's graffiti, too, on the church, and the docent tour is really good. Worth a stop on your way to or from somewhere. And I could meet you. (Quite a perk, there, eh? LOL!)

Well, depends if you want all day or just a few hours in the afternoon or so.

Petersburg is neat--I really enjoyed it.

You could come to Pohick for an hour or so--we are more Rev War, but we were a command post (or whatever you call it) for the first aeronautical (ballonists) folks in the Civil War. There's graffiti, too, on the church, and the docent tour is really good. Worth a stop on your way to or from somewhere. And I could meet you. (Quite a perk, there, eh? LOL!)

Ohhh. We do need to hit Mt. Vernon, still. And, I'd love to visit a town called Pohick. Hehe

We are only 6 miles from Mt. Vernon, and we are "George Washington's Church"--he was on the Vestry (like elders board) and building committee and attended. Lorton is the name of the town. :001_smile:

"Pohick" is not a commentary on the population... ;) It is NA for "hickory."

I'd love to meet you!

Oh, and Mt. Vernon is wonderful for a day trip.

We enjoyed Manassas very much and we read the book Bull Run by Paul Fleischman before we went - it's very short. Tredgear was just okay. The museum was decent, but not amazing for us.

If you haven't been to Mount Vernon though, clearly you have to do that!

For something completely different, you could visit the small Mennonite/Brethren Heritage Center in Harrisonburg. The anabaptists are pacifists and didn't participate in the Civil War, so both sides were suspicious of them. They have a short film about Mennonites and Brethren, and several old buildings including a neat one-room school (I think).

http://www.pamplinpark.org

This is a fantastic museum in Petersburg. It's interactive - they issue headphones at the beginning and they tell stories and give information as you move through the exhibits. It has the Museum of the Civil War Soldier, as well as a restored plantation house that was used as Grant's headquarters, the soldier encampment, fortifications, and trails through the battlefield area. It's really beautifully done. My daughter went to civil war camp there last summer and had a great time.

I love Manassas, Mariner's Museum, VA Living Museum. You HAVE to go to Mt. Vernon! Pohick/Lorton is good, ESP. Since you get to meet Chris in VA!

Down near Harrisonburg is a Civil War site where all the boys from a nearby military school went out and fought and lost their shoes in the mud. Can't remember the name though. Why can't I remember its name?!

I love Manassas, Mariner's Museum, VA Living Museum. You HAVE to go to Mt. Vernon! Pohick/Lorton is good, ESP. Since you get to meet Chris in VA!

Down near Harrisonburg is a Civil War site where all the boys from a nearby military school went out and fought and lost their shoes in the mud. Can't remember the name though. Why can't I remember its name?!

New Market. :) We went there once!