Menu

Can you CLEP if AP score is low?

DS16 is smart but not a great test-taker. I want him to take at least a couple of AP classes, but I'm worried he might not score well enough on the AP exam to earn college credit. So I'm wondering...if a student gets only a 1 or 2 on an AP exam, can he then go and take a CLEP test on the same subject and still earn college credit? Is this frowned upon? Is this breaking any kind of rule that I don't know about? I'm just trying to have a back-up plan in place in case the test score is low. (He's going to take AP classes in his areas of strength, so I know he can handle the content.)

I only looked into this for colleges my dd was interested in attending (state university level) and at that level you are welcome to try both CLEP and AP. However, the CLEP can only be taken one time per subject. I don't know if that is true for the AP exam or not.

From the UF website:

Credit awarded for dual enrollment or transfer courses takes precedence over credit by examination. If duplicate credit exists among AICE, AP, IB or CLEP, the exam yielding the most credit will be awarded.

I only looked into this for colleges my dd was interested in attending (state university level) and at that level you are welcome to try both CLEP and AP. However, the CLEP can only be taken one time per subject. I don't know if that is true for the AP exam or not.

From the UF website:

Credit awarded for dual enrollment or transfer courses takes precedence over credit by examination. If duplicate credit exists among AICE, AP, IB or CLEP, the exam yielding the most credit will be awarded.

It is our understanding that if you take a CLEP and fail it, you can take it again, you must however wait 6 months before you can retake it.

It is our understanding that if you take a CLEP and fail it, you can take it again, you must however wait 6 months before you can retake it.

I suppose it must be decided by the individual colleges. I was just going by the catalog of the college where my kids will be taking the CLEP exams.

Santa Fe College catalog (on earning CLEP credits):

Credit for the general and subject examinations may be earned in those areas where students have not already earned academic credit. Credit for the examinations may be earned, provided the student has not already earned credit for the particular course(s) for which Santa Fe could give examination credit. Credit is not awarded for a basic course in areas where advanced course credit has been earned. No examination may be repeated in an attempt to receive credit. Score minimums, credit hours awarded, and course equivalencies awarded are subject to change for any examination without prior notice.

(Bolding added by me.) Sorry for any added confusion. :)

For a strong student who is a poor test-taker, dual-enrolled classes at a CC or university are probably a better option than AP or CLEP exams.

Brenda

He's not a poor test taker -- just not a great one. He's done pretty well (but not great) on PSAT & ACT. But in actual course tests (perhaps at the end of a chapter), his grades can range from A-D, mostly in the B-C range. (We've been brushing up on test-taking strategies this year, so maybe that will help.) But I was just curious if taking a CLEP exam after a low AP test score was a possibility. I really don't like the idea of a one-time-only test determining whether or not you get college credit for a whole year's worth of work. DS will do a mix of a few APs, a few more CLEPs and mostly CC courses. I don't want to rely on any one credit-earning method, although his 1st choice college accepts all three.