Menu

Charlottesville, VA restaurants

Can anyone recommend a few good restaurants in Charlottesville? We are going to be spending a few nights there soon and would like to try the local flavor. I'm hoping our resident foodie, who has a son living in Charlottesville, will chime in. (Susan Wise Bauer - this means you!)

We are also going to be staying in Virginia Beach and Chincoteague, and would appreciate restaurant recommendations for those locales as well - especially seafood.

Thanks!

I have had some wonderful meals at Orzo Kitchen and Wine Bar. If you want to go in the comfort-food-sticky-tables direction, a white pizza at Lord Hardwicke's can't be beat. Great wine list, good food and a fun "elegant buffet" atmosphere at the Boars Head Inn--the entrees aren't always amazing but the salads are, and the bread pudding is to DIE for. Plus you can stroll around the pond afterwards, and when you're eating with kids it's always nice when they can pick exactly what they want.

SWB

Are you looking for good restaurants as in fancy/expensive, or good as in cool/unique? If you are looking for the cool, unique to Charlottesville ones, I second Bodo's, though be sure to go to the Bodo's on the Corner (across the street from the Rotunda). Also, you should go to the Downtown Mall and eat anywhere that has tables out in the middle of the mall, and then eat dessert at Sweet Frog Frozen Yogurt. There are plenty of good fancy/expensive restaurants, but Bodo's and the Downtown Mall are the coolest places in Charlottesville. As for cool in Virginia Beach, the locals I know all favored Bubba's Seafood Restaurant and Crabhouse as the best. It is not fancy, expensive either, but it has great food and a great location right on the bay. It was partially underwater after the hurricane last year, so I don't know what the status is now, but I hope it is back up and running as usual. If you are more interested in fancy/expensive, then please disregard all of the above.

Bodo’s is a must.

I’ve always liked Duner’s but it isn’t really Cville proper, it’s about 15-20 minutes out of town on 250W.

One of my favorite sandwich places was in an Exxon station. I can’t remember the name of it but it’s on 250W near the Boar’s Head. It’s a gas station but with this funny sandwich shop with pricey but really delicious gourmet sandwiches and other offerings. To me, it was just very Cville that it even existed. If you ask someone they will be able to tell you where it is.

I have had some wonderful meals at Orzo Kitchen and Wine Bar. If you want to go in the comfort-food-sticky-tables direction, a white pizza at Lord Hardwicke's can't be beat. Great wine list, good food and a fun "elegant buffet" atmosphere at the Boars Head Inn--the entrees aren't always amazing but the salads are, and the bread pudding is to DIE for. Plus you can stroll around the pond afterwards, and when you're eating with kids it's always nice when they can pick exactly what they want.

SWB

Thanks so much!