Menu

What can you tell me about K12's Literature...purchased on it's own.

Looking for general information : do you like it, how long does it take, how is it scheduled...

Thanks!

I really like it. It is very, very easy to teach. So far this year (and we're not very far into the program since we started our school year in January) we've covered plot, characters, cause and effect, line, couplets, rhyming couplets, stanza, and alliteration. It is one of my dd's favorite subjects this year. She really, really likes it.

It only takes about 15-20 minutes. I have dd read the passage aloud, then we discuss vocabulary, do the discussion questions. and writing prompts orally. I introduce any new literature terminology and add those terms into our morning meeting memory work. Then dd does the student worksheet if there is one.

I follow the schedule in the Teacher's Guide. It is divided by units using the corresponding Classics for Young Readers. The units alternate between the short stories and the poetry section. There are also some extra book studies scheduled in the Teacher's Guide, but I am not using them since our library didn't have the books.

I am not doing the online component. I bought the Teacher's Guide, student workbook, and the two Classic for Young Readers books used on Amazon and got the entire set for about $20. We are definitely planning on using it again next year.

Let me know if you have any more questions. We are using the third grade set.

We are using 4th grade - purchased used. Our girls love it. A diverse and wide range of material; it is one of our favorite subjects. We use it during lunch...."Lunch and Literature." The girls eat while I go over vocabulary, read and ask questions. If our oldest finishes her lunch quickly, she reads.

We do not have an online component but we are fine with that. I purchased the teacher's edition and student books all used, and we use both during our day. Great used prices. Great product. I would definitely recommend it.

We used the 5th grade set with just the books and the TG. I used the TG as a discussion guide, and we enjoyed it very much. I would have my girls read the stories/poems independently during their rest time after lunch, and then we would have our discussion time, which went pretty quickly -- 10-15 mins or so.

Thanks for the info everyone. I wondered if it was pretty open and go and flexible, which it looks to be. Keeping this one in mind in case we end up not liking the Mosdos.

That is so funny! :laugh: Mosdos was what I wanted to use, but I didn't have money in the budget for it this year. When I found the K12 set for sale so cheaply I purchased it thinking that we'd make do with it until next year. Now we are both enjoying it so much, I'm planning on sticking with it for the foreseeable future until we hit Lightning Literature.

I didn't even know k12 sold the te for literature. I am using k12 for History and Science. I am paying for online use of the te. I was under the impression that k12 te where only available online. Can someone explain to me how it works? Can you purchase k12 LA without doing it online? If you purchase the student pages and te will you be missing anything if you don't use k12 online? What grade levels are available?If you start using k12 literature in 2nd or 3rd grade will you be missing things taught in previous levels?

I didn't even know k12 sold the te for literature. I am using k12 for History and Science. I am paying for online use of the te. I was under the impression that k12 te where only available online. Can someone explain to me how it works? I bought my 3rd grade TE and student pages used from another homeschooler. Nothing had been written though so they were like new. Can you purchase k12 LA without doing it online? That's what we're doing. If you purchase the student pages and te will you be missing anything if you don't use k12 online? I have no idea since I've never used the online component, but I feel like it is a very complete program without anything online. What grade levels are available? I know they have 2nd grade through 6th grade, but they might have more. That's all I've looked at. If you start using k12 literature in 2nd or 3rd grade will you be missing things taught in previous levels? We started with 3rd grade this year and I don't feel like anything has been skipped.

Answers above in red.

Are there samples to look at anywhere online? I am having trouble locating any.

Also, what exactly do you need for the program? I see readers, teacher's manual, and student pages. Do you need and use all of these?

If I knew how to post pictures on the new forum I would put some up here for you. Instead I will link some pictures to a Picasa album.

Yes, I use all of the components, the readers, the TM, and the student workbook. I know that some people only use the TM, but it doesn't have copies of the student workbook pages in it just the answers. I really like the workbook pages. It brings everything you are learning together. I am buying my stuff for 4th grade used (like new condition) from Amazon or if I find another homeschooler selling a set again. Check Ebay as well.