Menu

CC Foundations- Can anyone share...

wehave8

Get the CD's and listen to them several times a week. Set up a large white board like this. Do memory in the morning, using various techniques and games, go over VP cards (or CC). We morphed from CC to our own memory work. We've done tons of memory work over the last several years. Very rewarding. And you know what Socrates said, "All learning is memory."

I want to know too. My kids took their SAT10 tests with a CC group the last two days and I talked with some of the women there. One of them said that we would need the memory song CDs, the tin whistle, and the main foundations book, as the bare minimum if we joined. I can't afford it, nor do have the time to get involved with it--we're loners when it comes to learning. I'd rather teach my kids, not have someone else do it.

Anyway, I've been wondering how I can do this at home. I like the VP cards, but I find the VP site to be hard to navigate...or maybe I'm just clueless. Ugh.

I'm listening in on this too. ;)

I want to know too. My kids took their SAT10 tests with a CC group the last two days and I talked with some of the women there. One of them said that we would need the memory song CDs, the tin whistle, and the main foundations book, as the bare minimum if we joined. I can't afford it, nor do have the time to get involved with it--we're loners when it comes to learning. I'd rather teach my kids, not have someone else do it.

Anyway, I've been wondering how I can do this at home. I like the VP cards, but I find the VP site to be hard to navigate...or maybe I'm just clueless. Ugh.

I'm listening in on this too. ;)

Look for the VP cards on the fsot board, you should be able to find them cheaply.

We are doing it at home and are having some success. Let me pre phrase my post by saying that we didn't start using Cc at home until after Christmas break. We struggled alot at first and we even quit for awhile because I was trying to catch us up to where the communities were. I revamped and we restarted after our springbreak, I decided to take some advice and really focus on one aspect of CC, so this year we're really focusing on getting as much of the timeline memorized as possible, we listen to the timeline songs and go over the VP cards daily. We do go over the other memory work and I even have the science cards, we just aren't as focused on it as we will be next year.

CC doesn't (or didn't) memorize the dates on the VP cards- if you're going to do it, might as well do the dates as well- I just put them on the front of the cards with permanent marker.

I saw the cards last night and they have dates on the front of them. If the songs don't have dates, wouldn't be hard to add them to the memory work?

Pam

Another question... I was thinking of doing just the Foundations, but the director said my son would be able to do Essentials, too, because they start out with the basics in the English. The only thing is, I just bought FLL and WWE and I really want to use them, but I think both English programs would be too much? I can't decide....CC at home, CC in a community, CC in a community doing Foundations only, CC in a community doing Foundations and Essentials??!!!! (or no CC! :confused1: )

Pam

I saw the cards last night and they have dates on the front of them. If the songs don't have dates, wouldn't be hard to add them to the memory work?

Pam

I know that some people learn the timeline without the dates, and then add dates in subsequent years. There is no song for the VP timeline in CC's order (strict chronological). If you want to learn the timeline through song, you will need to use the CC timeline or the VP timeline songs which are not in the same order. If you choose the CC timeline, you don't actually need the cards at all. You can use the timeline song and/or the foundations guide which has a listing of the title of each card. Unless you are going to use the back of the card for teaching purposes, they are not necessary. I own both sets of cards and I think the CC cards are by far the better value.

The VP timeline was rearranged when CC used it. It is my understanding that VP created a song but it didn't work for CCers because they mixed up the cards. The rearranged CC/VP timeline only has a few homegrown songs that can be found with a search.

The new CC timeline has a song created by CC and it is on the memory work CD. It has dates for time periods and date markers sprinkled throughout the song but each individual event/person doesn't have a date for memory.

Another question... I was thinking of doing just the Foundations, but the director said my son would be able to do Essentials, too, because they start out with the basics in the English. The only thing is, I just bought FLL and WWE and I really want to use them, but I think both English programs would be too much? I can't decide....CC at home, CC in a community, CC in a community doing Foundations only, CC in a community doing Foundations and Essentials??!!!! (or no CC! :confused1: )

Pam

You don't have to be enrolled in Foundations to enroll in Essentials. And it would also be ok to wait another year if you decide to do Foundations in a community. Many parents have their children start EEL in 5th & 6th grade. So, you can use FLL and WWE as planned and consider EEL for the following year.

FLL and Essentials would be a lot together. I don't think WWE and Essentials would be too much as they teach different skills.

Participating in a CC community has been great for us. I've enjoyed the relationships with the other families and that we all are working together toward similar goals. (But I'm sure you have heard all this already or you wouldn't be considering it!)

Good luck with your decision!