Menu

MFW AHL and WHL

My DD is in 8th grade right now. She is not quite at grade level in most subjects, and I keep hoping that she will mature in the next few months to start to tackle high school courses. I am considering MFW AHL and WHL, but she would like to be a Vet Tech, and I need her to concentrate on math and the sciences. Is it possible to do AHL and WHL lite? If I was to do this with her, how would I adjust things? What would I take out?

I could almost write that same thing. My middle dd, 8th grade... slow to average academics. some delays due to some issues... probably will work with animals in some capacity in her adult work. I've used AHL, WHL and even US1 so far with oldest. So... why buy new stuff for middle gal if I can just adapt the materials... at least that's my budget .

so.. I'm not sure if it's so much about taking stuff out.. as much as how to use it.

1. Bible..... we're going to listen via Bible gateway. Have her answer in complete sentences on the OT challenge book. I plan to try to use dvd with the New Answers book to have discussion together. I don't think she's ready to process that book on her own. a local church library has the dvd.

2. English: she may not have the level of answers her sister did. But I think she can write 5 paragraphs on a topic. It might take 5 days and 1 day of revise instead of 4 days write 1 revise..

we will use audio books to stay on track with reading as much as possible.

I initially plan to go lite on Iliad as it is quasi optional.

3. history - I think she'll be ok on it. maybe helping her to pace herself on the timeline. I remember my oldest didn't like doing it all at once a week...

4. I'll probably have to plan to keep using audio versions of apologia books.

5. and I continue to hold my breath on math.

I know my kiddo still daydreams a lot and needs brain breaks.. so... plan to slow and steady it.. take it a week at a time.. and probably not expect her to be as independent of a learner in 9th grade as other children are able... she's good about doing her work.... slow and steady.. and always seems behind in life.... she's not "honor" style... so I'm just hoping she keeps on keeping on. She makes progress each year.

I could almost write that same thing. My middle dd, 8th grade... slow to average academics. some delays due to some issues... probably will work with animals in some capacity in her adult work. I've used AHL, WHL and even US1 so far with oldest. So... why buy new stuff for middle gal if I can just adapt the materials... at least that's my budget .

so.. I'm not sure if it's so much about taking stuff out.. as much as how to use it.

1. Bible..... we're going to listen via Bible gateway. Have her answer in complete sentences on the OT challenge book. I plan to try to use dvd with the New Answers book to have discussion together. I don't think she's ready to process that book on her own. a local church library has the dvd.

2. English: she may not have the level of answers her sister did. But I think she can write 5 paragraphs on a topic. It might take 5 days and 1 day of revise instead of 4 days write 1 revise..

we will use audio books to stay on track with reading as much as possible.

I initially plan to go lite on Iliad as it is quasi optional.

3. history - I think she'll be ok on it. maybe helping her to pace herself on the timeline. I remember my oldest didn't like doing it all at once a week...

4. I'll probably have to plan to keep using audio versions of apologia books.

5. and I continue to hold my breath on math.

I know my kiddo still daydreams a lot and needs brain breaks.. so... plan to slow and steady it.. take it a week at a time.. and probably not expect her to be as independent of a learner in 9th grade as other children are able... she's good about doing her work.... slow and steady.. and always seems behind in life.... she's not "honor" style... so I'm just hoping she keeps on keeping on. She makes progress each year.

Thank you so much for responding, Crystal. It is nice to know that we are not alone. My DD sounds very much like yours.

I will look into the Answers DVD, and I never thought about using Bible Gateway or something audio to get through the Bible reading. I was also going to write a separate post about audiobooks. My DD loves audiobooks, and she prefers listening to them to listening to music. I know most people say it is not the same as actually reading a book, but I am more concerned about getting the content into her than testing her reading ability(which is probably not at grade level at this time, because she only started reading fluently at the end of 5th grade). I really do not think that my DD will have her writing up to speed, so I will have to adapt the writing component. I am considering having her take a year and a half (end of 9th and 10th) to complete AHL, because I want to spend the beginning of 9th doing an overview of geography.

I am not sure what I am going to do about the sciences. I am going to concentrate on Biology and Chemistry. Where we live you need two sciences to get into Vet Tech, so I do not think I am going to worry about Physics, as she is doing Physical Science right now. Math is a daily struggle. I have backed my DD up and she is doubling up on TT7 lessons so that she can be finish TT Pre-A and hopefully TT A by the end of 9th.

My DD is not an independent learner, and really prefers to learn with her brothers. So I will have to gradually wean her to more independent work over the next few months.

I guess opinions vary on audio books. I've never had an issue with the audio on and the book in front of me or my middle gal. I know her comprehension and reading ability is good enough because in some books she is reading the material and doing the instructions. She grabs other books to read without audio. It's a tool we use and need. Even with the apologia audio, there were times she turned it off and just read the book. I just figure with the amount of reading in AHL, my child will need some things on audio to stay on track. She'll have the print in front of her. Helps to hear how to say some new words and hear fluent out loud readings. In most people's case, hearing takes longer. not always the case with her.

My DD is in 8th grade right now. She is not quite at grade level in most subjects, and I keep hoping that she will mature in the next few months to start to tackle high school courses. I am considering MFW AHL and WHL, but she would like to be a Vet Tech, and I need her to concentrate on math and the sciences. Is it possible to do AHL and WHL lite? If I was to do this with her, how would I adjust things? What would I take out?

Absolutely.

Just skip a few books or skip the writing portion. We found WHL very doable and it certainly allowed time for Ana to do math and science. :) She is switching to Omnibus this year (her preference) but I am having DS do AHL.

I guess opinions vary on audio books. I've never had an issue with the audio on and the book in front of me or my middle gal. I know her comprehension and reading ability is good enough because in some books she is reading the material and doing the instructions. She grabs other books to read without audio. It's a tool we use and need. Even with the apologia audio, there were times she turned it off and just read the book. I just figure with the amount of reading in AHL, my child will need some things on audio to stay on track. She'll have the print in front of her. Helps to hear how to say some new words and hear fluent out loud readings. In most people's case, hearing takes longer. not always the case with her.

I would definitely try to have the book in front of her as she is listening, but there are times when she wants to be 'doing' something while she is reading. She has started to quilt and she loves to draw and basically is a very crafty person, so she listens while she is working on things.

I do find it helps her with pronunciation. She finished reading the book, Little Women, on her own, and then listened to it on her ipod. She commented on some of the names and some words that she had read 'wrong' and it was weird to hear them read correctly on the ipod. I am also working to shore up her spelling and some phonics gaps this year.

Absolutely.

Just skip a few books or skip the writing portion. We found WHL very doable and it certainly allowed time for Ana to do math and science. :) She is switching to Omnibus this year (her preference) but I am having DS do AHL.

Thank you, Kelly. This is encouraging!

but there are times when she wants to be 'doing' something while she is reading. She has started to quilt and she loves to draw and basically is a very crafty person, so she listens while she is working on things.

that's my oldest. :) crochet, cross stitch, etc... yep... I get it. :)