Menu

3rd Grader Reading too fast

Guest nirvaishali

Guest nirvaishali

My 3rd Grade daughter has started reading books too fast. We start reading a page together and she is done with the entoire page of 13 line when I'm still on the 4th line on the page. She doesn't retain much of what she read. This is not helping her to improve her Verbal Score or score in her Language Arts tests at school. She loves reading and is glued to books all the time, I alwasy remind her to read slow. But lately things are getting worst. She is actually reading faster and faster and her comprehension skills are deteriorating instead of impoving. I give her worksheets with a pasage and questions to answer and she does ok with the anwsers that are straighforward, but when it comes to questions that need interpretaion, thinking and inferred meaning, she gets wrongs answers. I have done numerous passages with her and I'm really tired of it as all that practice doesn't seem to help at all.

I try to have discussions with her about the books she is reading when I get time to read the book before her, but she goes throguh books so fast that I can't read each and every book. I hate to tell her to stop reading wehn she is so much interested in a series.

Does anyone has any idea what I I can do differently?

Thanks in Advance!

You're assuming her reading speed is causing the problem. Her reading speed may be impulsivity (go, go, go, no slow mode) and the lack of higher level thinking might be more developmental (also connected to impulsivity). What you can do on the reading is let her read her *own* books as fast as she wants, but pick things where you're working on for comprehension to do a different way. For those things, read *twice*. First time she reads as fast as she wants. Then give her the list of questions and have her slow down and read a 2nd time, knowing that she'll be responsible for the answers when she gets there. That way she learns self-regulation, the ability to slow her tempo down and self-monitor, without spoiling her enjoyment of the reading. She may decide to ditch the double reading, but doing it a while teaches her what it *feels* like to slow down and read for comprehension.

Reading is not merely about slowing down. Reading comprehension depends on prior knowledge, attention, visualization, all sorts of things. You can have amazing comprehension as a speed reader if you are attending, have enough prior knowledge of the material to know what you're reading, etc. Conversely, you can slow down so much you can't remember the beginning of the sentence when you get to the end. The trick then is to figure out what it's going to take to help her attend to the reading (not just move eyes over the page), visualize, etc. And for us double readings (in the early stages) and having a list of things you're looking for as you read are the ticket. Now my dd is moving into high school, so she does textbook outlining and is learning to take notes. It's the same deal though. She can fly her eyes over the page and have no clue if she's not attending and engaging. Slowing down doesn't change that.

Btw, I think we've had some books on reading comprehension mentioned over on the SN/LC (special needs/learning challenges) board, if you want to head over there and look.

Learning to visualize has really helped my 3rd grader. He could read quickly, but his comprehension was not good. After learning to visualize his comprehension went WAY up. We are using Visualizing and Verbalizing workbooks to practice learning to visualize.

Guest nirvaishali

Thank you very much. OHElizabeth,This is exactly the kind of guidence I needed. WeHomeSchool, Can you post names or links to the workbook you mentioned. Thanks!

McCall-Crabbs Standard Test Lessons Reading Book A

There's a series of them. (McCall-Crabbs, McCall-Harby) SWR sells them as a set. WRTR (Spalding Foundation) also sells them. The results have correlated pretty well with what I've gotten for standardized testing. You can get into standardized testing pretty affordably ($25-50 typically), and around here you can get the WJIII with a tutor (not a psych) for $75. Gives you some options.

You know the other thing is to try to find somebody in your area who has the books. If you know somebody who does WRTR or SWR or can find them, they may very well have them.