Menu

Recommendations for Water Bottle/Foreign Travel

TraciWA

My ds16 is going on a mission trip to Guatemala this summer. It was recommended he have a water bottle with it's own filtration system. I would like to get him one for his birthday but have no clue which to get. Any suggestions from those who travel outside the US?

Personally, I’d prefer to purchase water rather than to rely on filters, some of which may not do such a great job. Unless he will be in a remote village, bottled water may be an easy find; you might ask. Regardless, I’d see if I could find a water bottle with a wide-mouth top; they are easier to clean. Water-borne parasites are nasty; the importance of keeping a clean bottle should be stressed.

It is also worth a mention to sterilize fruits and veggies.

Sorry, I didn’t answer your question, but I hope he has a wonderful, safe trip. :001_smile:

yucabird has this correct. Unless he is going to be in the jungle, my guess is that bottled water, bottles of coca cola, etc., will be for sale, everywhere, and he should drink that. If he is going camping in the jungle, that's another matter and the water purification thing (check out Boy Scout stuff), would be good to have. However, I would hate to depend on it working properly and it not working properly. If he was older, he could drink Beer..... I hope he has a very safe trip and a wonderful time in Guatemala.

NOTE #1 : Be sure that he registers, on the web site of the ACS (American Citizens Services) on the web site of the U.S. Embassy in Guat. City, so if there is an emergency, they know he is there and how to contact him. NOTE #2: Because of his age, if he is traveling without *both* parents, you may need to provide some documents to him, to satisfy both U.S. authorities and Guatemalan authorities. Check that out, on the U.S. Department of State web site, and with the Guatemalan Embassy in Washington, DC or your nearest Guatemalan Consulate. (I assume that if a 16 year old arrived here in Colombia, alone, without that kind of documentation, they would be sent back to the USA, on the next flight),

yucabird has this correct. Unless he is going to be in the jungle, my guess is that bottled water, bottles of coca cola, etc., will be for sale, everywhere, and he should drink that. If he is going camping in the jungle, that's another matter and the water purification thing (check out Boy Scout stuff), would be good to have. However, I would hate to depend on it working properly and it not working properly. If he was older, he could drink Beer..... I hope he has a very safe trip and a wonderful time in Guatemala.

NOTE #1 : Be sure that he registers, on the web site of the ACS (American Citizens Services) on the web site of the U.S. Embassy in Guat. City, so if there is an emergency, they know he is there and how to contact him. NOTE #2: Because of his age, if he is traveling without *both* parents, you may need to provide some documents to him, to satisfy both U.S. authorities and Guatemalan authorities. Check that out, on the U.S. Department of State web site, and with the Guatemalan Embassy in Washington, DC or your nearest Guatemalan Consulate. (I assume that if a 16 year old arrived here in Colombia, alone, without that kind of documentation, they would be sent back to the USA, on the next flight),

He is going with a group of 21. They will be in Guatemala City most of the time with activites in different places. Not sure the drinking age in Guatemala. ;) One of the group leaders was strongly recommending a water bottle with a purification filter.

He is going with a group of 21. They will be in Guatemala City most of the time with activites in different places. Not sure the drinking age in Guatemala. ;) One of the group leaders was strongly recommending a water bottle with a purification filter.

I've never been in Guatemala, but a late friend here was born there, and, years ago, 2 "gringos" that I knew here moved there. One of them was married to a Guatemalan woman and her family has a business there. Guat. City is a large city. I cannot imagine that they would ever need to use a water bottle with purification filter there. Better to plan on buying bottles of water ("agua con gas" or "agua sin gas") or bottles of Coca Cola.

in the jungle, that is a very different story, and the water bottle/purification tablets, etc., will be great for him to have with him. Hopefully, even where he goes in the jungle, bottles of water and bottles of Coca Cola will be readily available.

DS should brush his teeth with the bottled water. Not tap water.

Be sure he has the correct papers, so he is legal to travel, without both parents, at that age. International travel, for minors, especially down here, is different than travel within the USA.

Have him practice his Spanish before the trip! Have him read about things he might see in Guatemala. Mayan ruins, etc.