autumndivona

How many times have you read WTM?  

1. 1. How many times have you read WTM?

• 0-1 time
    • 2-3 times
    • 4-5 times
    • 6-7 times
    • more than 8 times

And how did you make use of the book? How often do you refer to it?

I have read it once so far, cover to cover, and took it very slowly as I took notes and made list. I am going to re-read it during the 3 weeks prior to the start of our 2008-2009 homeschool year. I think this time it will get post-its stuck around the 1st grade information for quick reference!

I have not read it cover to cover, yet. Rhetoric overwhelms me!

I take WTM on car trips. I underline and take notes in a composition book.

I have tabbed the history and literature lists for used book store shopping.

I regularly review the grammar and logic sections to make sure I am staying on track.

I have read the whole thing twice to get the big picture and make sure I understand the goals and methods of the whole approach.

Then I have read the grammar stage section a lot of times. Don't know how many. I have skimmed it and went back and checked something many times. I imagine as we go further through this journey I'll keep reading and rereading and checking and marking and tabbing and generally wearing it out!

I am excited about the new edition coming out this winter. There's so much new curriculum since the last edition was published. I am interested to see what SWB thinks of some of the newer ones and see how the decisions I have made line up with the approach she recommends.

I read it again every new school year, along with a host of other references on the subject. This year, I plan to implement part of it, so I put sticky tabs on the relevant pages and keep it next to me while we're doing dictation, copywork and narration. SWB's methodology, how to go about the actual interaction with the child, helps. I'm thinking that once my WWE gets here, all scripted and whatnot, I won't need to keep TWTM by my side.

Ummmmm, never. :leaving:

I found Charlotte Mason early in my homeschooling experience and it works so well for us that I just stick with what works.:001_smile:

Don't worry, you're not alone here. ;)

I've never read it - we're...hmm... "eclectic" works I guess :)

I have read it all the way through once and then Grammar and Logic stages 3 or 4 more times. I refer to it always. It seems like I get it off the shelf weekly to look something up. It's usually about organizing notebooks or something like that. I've also constantly referred to the questions in the literature section for Logic stage. :)

I read it again every new school year, along with a host of other references on the subject. This year, I plan to implement part of it, so I put sticky tabs on the relevant pages and keep it next to me while we're doing dictation, copywork and narration. SWB's methodology, how to go about the actual interaction with the child, helps. I'm thinking that once my WWE gets here, all scripted and whatnot, I won't need to keep TWTM by my side.

I am thinking this is what I will do. I first read it last year, before we started our kindergarten. We kept kindergarten relaxed, with only a little structure. For the most part, I let my son lead the way - if I said, "Let's do a French lesson" and he was excited about it, we did it. If he was more interested in something else, we'd nix the idea.

Regardless, he managed to learn how to count to 100, add up to 20, read some words, and more.

Now with the primary years, I like the idea of re-reading it before each homeschooling year. It is such a huge book, that I figure I can work with it in chunks, based on where we are in our home education right now, and do what you do - supplement it with other references.

I'm currently reviewing the SOTW book and activity guide that I now have. But I'm about to delve into WTM in this coming week, to freshen my knowledge!

Okay, I put 8 times. But truthfully, I've probably read it cover to cover 3 times. However, I'v referred to it enough, in all the sections, and both editions, that I'm sure it counts for 8 :D

For all those who have said the same thing about referring to specific sections, I think that counts! I mean, those sections are quite substantial. They cover not just curricula, but the educational methodology and implementation of TWTM. That's a LOT of reading, even if you take it in sections, or haven't yet read the logic section yet, because you're children aren't that age!

In my re-read, I don't expect to go beyond Part 1. I read it cover-to-cover the first time. This time I'll stick with Part 1, which applies to my son, and tab the heck out of it! But I'll probably still skim ahead to reinforce my memory of the book's philosophy. :) I expect to also re-read my copy of "The Latin-Centered Curriculum" into the year. Beyond that, I'd go crazy. I've already done so much research, and feel 100% comfortable with WTM, LCC, and Ambleside Online.

Hi Everyone,

I said I have read it 6-7 times, but if we count reviewing the sections all bets are off. I am going into my 10th year of home schooling and have been using the WTM almost since the start. My copy of the first edition fell apart. (But I couldn't make myself throw it away!)

I usually have to review most of the book as I am making my plans each year. My children are 14, 9 and 4, so someone is always entering a new stage. I orginally read the rhetoric section several times because I was looking forward to teaching great books. Now that my daughter is entering 9th grade, I'm excited, but I'm hoping we can keep up. When I was reading Plato in college, I didn't have to teach phonics at the same time.

Anissa in Idaho

I've read it cover to cover at least 2x plus the grammar stage at least 5 more times as I started and check to make sure I'm covering everything. I recently read the next 2 stages a bit more in depth to see what's coming and scared myself a bit (LOL!) so maybe I'll stick to grammar while I need it. I'm hoping to get dh to read it next; he knows what we're doing now but it would be nice for him to see the big picture, too.

About a week ago, I spent 2 hours putting tabs on my copy. DH said, "Doesn't it have an index?" Yes, but I need to be able to find things super-quick. Obsessive, I know.

WHOA! Fancy-schmancy...

I LOVE it. Where did you get the tabs? Are they removable? I just have post-it notes to mark each chapter of part 1. I want to add more detailed tabs, but nothing permanent. Although I have highlighted a bit in mine as well.

I said I have read it 6-7 times, but if we count reviewing the sections all bets are off.

I have read it 4-5 times, but I have read each section several times on different occasions as well, so it is probably 8-9 if I add it all together.

I actually read through rhetoric the other night when I couldn't sleep. Though, I would probably be better off if I stick to the grammar stage and stop worrying about things that are 7 years down the road.:tongue_smilie:

hmmm.... I am wondering if this poll means that we have 20% of posters who do not follow TWTM style....

WHOA! Fancy-schmancy...

I LOVE it. Where did you get the tabs? Are they removable? I just have post-it notes to mark each chapter of part 1. I want to add more detailed tabs, but nothing permanent. Although I have highlighted a bit in mine as well.

The tabs are permanent (I had to bite the bullet and just do it. My post-it tabs were falling off, tearing, etc.). I bought the tabs on clearance at Office Depot. It's the first book I've ever tabbed that way, but I have a couple more in mind... ;)

Okay, so now I see that I lied a little; I've read it in the early spring for the last 5 or 6 years, but only the Grammar & Dialectic levels. I still haven't read the whole Rhetoric section, probably will this year.

Each time I reread the lower levels I see something new that will apply to our families current needs - they keep changing! ;)

Well, I read through the whole thing when my dd was 4. I've read it through since then because I'm a big picture kind of person. I like to know where the road I'm on will take me. I've also read portions of it multiple times. I think I might have the grammar parts memorized:D Okay not fully memorized but I'm close.

I finally got my own copy last year and now there's a new copy coming out next year. Oh well, I guess I'll check the new one out of the library like I did in the begining.

I've given the original edition a VERY thorough read, twice, and refer to it MANY, MANY times. I think I've read the Grammar section like maybe 20 times. I've checked out the newer edition from the library twice, and renewed it probably six times. For me it is inspirational as well as practical.

The original edition is my favorite.