Menu

Standardized testing

I have never done any standardized testing with my boys. It is not required by our state, but I am seriously considering it, just for our own information. My boys actually want to do it, after hearing about the local ps kids having FCAT testing this week. I have my eye on the PASS test, but I am also wondering if the CAT, which is available online, would be a better fit. My twins are 12 and we are dealing with different challenges, including severe speech apraxia, auditory processing issues, and most likely dysgraphia and dyslexia. I am almost positive they are at different levels in different subjects. Any suggestions?

We've done the CAT a number of times. I like it because it's *short* and to the point. It doesn't have history, science, or any extraneous things. We can usually get it done in 3 days at 1-2 sections a day. If you want a more detailed test, you're looking at IOWA or Stanford, both of which require you to jump through a few hoops (not insurmountable, just means they aren't spontaneous options). The Woodcock Johnson III is interesting, because it's done with a tester, one on one. There's a tutor in our area who gives it. Immediate feedback, no ceiling, and you get actual grade levels on everything, not just percentiles. Remember a percentile tells you how he compares to his peers. The WJIII gives you actual grade equivalencies for everything. For us that was helpful.

For the CAT, we've done it through Seton and CLP, and both were good experiences. Many people go through BJU for the Iowa or Stanford.

Btw, I'll just give you my usual, none of my business mention of PROMPT for verbal apraxia. It's been amazing for us, and our therapist has been able to get breakthroughs even with non-verbals teens.

The Prompt Institute - Home

The WJIII has more subtests and breakdowns on decoding and things. You might find it the most informative if you can get it.

Testing is required here, but I'd do it anyway. There are two variations on the CAT--complete and survey. Survey is much shorter but gives basically the same info. For us, the shorter version is better because it then measures the child's basic abilities apart from ability to take a test for a very long period of time.

I have twins too--one with dyslexia and the other is neurotypical. For a couple years, the twin with dyslexia (who was nowhere close to reading on grade level) tested one grade lower than his twin. He worked on different grade levels is different subjects, and it showed on his test results. Last year was the first year that he tested using the same grade level test as his twin in several years. His test scores were at almost the exact same "average" he'd always been--except since he took the higher test it meant he'd jumped two grade level in one year!

That's one reason why I'd test even if we didn't have to test--because I compare the scores from year to year. If they test at or near that same percentile every year and take the next grade each year, we know that they are making a years worth of progress. It's not just so much to compare them to other children, but also (or even mostly) to compare them with their former self.