Menu

Do you pick out your own birthday present?

My birthday is tomorrow and if I don't go pick something out, I won't get anything. I have no idea what to get but I know I'll feel a little sad if I don't get anything so. I would like Great Big Sea's new album but I'll never be able to find that locally so . . .

What would you get?

Christy,

I totally know where you are coming from, I hate buying my own gifts.

If I had a choice, and money was no object, which is not the case. A whole new wardrobe. But I will settle for a nice bottle of perfume. Love Flowerbomb.

Jet

For my birthdays. DH watches the kids while I go shopping for spring/summer clothes or whatever it is I want. He usually picks up flowers and a cake and makes a steak dinner. Everything he cooks on the grill is amazing so I look forward to this. He usually takes the day off and brings me out to lunch also.

My birthday is tomorrow and if I don't go pick something out, I won't get anything. I have no idea what to get but I know I'll feel a little sad if I don't get anything so. I would like Great Big Sea's new album but I'll never be able to find that locally so . . .

What would you get?

I guess I do end up picking my own gifts, but we don't plan it that way. If there's something I'm wanting and we get it, we chalk it up to any upcoming occasion. I'm thinking the computer I got this week will be my Christmas present -- for about five years. :-)

I'm so dadgum picky I'd much rather pick out my own stuff. Oddly enough, just about the only person who can pick out something I like without my input in my step mother. She watches me carefully and then spends a lot of money. Awesome.

So yeah, normally I love to pick out my own birthday/Christmas/anniversary/mother's day etc.

I pick out my gifts because if I don't I most surely will get something I don't want or need:). Our budget is tight and I usually have a running list of things I actually need that we cannot afford.

Once I mentioned that I needed new underwear and dh said, "Well, your birthday's coming up." He was kidding, and really wants me to be happy so he just tells me to pick out something and then we're both happy.

We don't do birthdays for the grownups. My birthday is Friday...I took out $25 extra in cash and I am splitting a cake with my son who will be 9 on Tuesday. :) It is not because we can't afford it...I just don't put a lot of stock in birthday hooplahs for adults...especially when it is not a milestone b-day. Next year, when I turn 30, I will expect some sort of hooplah. ;)

My dh always takes me away somewhere for my birthday, either to a nearby getaway, or just a hotel in town. We have a nice relaxing time to reconnect and make plans. We eat out, see a concert or a movie, do some sight seeing. Sometimes (if we're in town) we shop for updates for our home, or other things we need (like a refrigerator or something), but I tell him he "has to hold my hand, like we're on a date". :001_wub: Usually, it means "grown-up time", away from kids (but not always). I can't usually think of anything I want for my birthday more than one-on-one time with my dear hubby. It's our tradition! :001_smile:

I usually end up going out for a whole day with a couple of friends while our dhs watch the kids. We all have birthdays within 2 weeks of each other.

What aggravates me is when I pick out my own Christmas gift because dh says he doesn't know what to buy, pay for it myself (out of joint account), and then have to wrap it myself because ds expects it wrapped but is too little to do it himself. Of course this was much funner this year when ds wanted me to open and watch my gift with him instead of waiting for Christmas because he got really creative trying to convince me I NEEDED to watch it now. LOL

We don't usually do gifts for adult birthdays. My dh's birthday is 5 days before mine so we'll go out to eat once for both of our birthdays. Some years one or both of us might buy a gift for the other, but it isn't required. This year, he made me go buy my own gift - he was out of town the day that the iphone 3g came out! Like I said, we usually don't get anything.

I absolutely love perfumes, body lotions, shower stuff etc. I want a new one to try so what are some of your favorites? I know some people tend to have several for different occasions.

And where do you get your smell goods from? dept. store, discount store, or online?

I generally want something obscure, something DH would never be able to find on his own. I almost always order my birthday or holiday gifts online, and when they arrive, I show them to DH and give him a big thanks!

My birthday is coming up on Aug 15, so I guess I'd better order something soon! I'm thinking of a meditation bench.

Michelle T

My dh brought home a bouquet of flowers and a pair of earrings! He'd tried to find ones I'd admired at an art gallery about a week ago, but they were gone. So he chose a different pair. I didn't love them -- and he *asked* if I did so I was honest. We went back to the gallery together and I picked out a different pair. So technically I did pick out my birthday present, but he DID think of it on his own.

We've come a long way from the days when I would cry and cry because he'd forget me on my day (wait, that happened most often on Mother's Day, but still).

My birthday was yesterday! HB to me. Usually I get no gifts from anyone, but my dd 11 yo told me she would like to take me to get a pedicure. I asked my older daughter if she knew where I should go for it, and she suggested the hardware store. My sweet dd went with me to a place I had seen advertise a deluxe spa pedicure. For one hour the lady massaged my lower legs and feet with sea salt scrubs, fragrant oils, and cleansing creams. She removed about 85% of my callouses on my heels and toes. She painted flowers and added what I am sure are real diamonds to their centers. This cost $35. It was absolutely fabulous. I have only had 1 pedicure in my life, in Vietnam, for which I paid 35 cents US$; that was about 7 years ago. I vote for the pedicure. However, another DD heard me say I 'd like the collector's DVD of Butch Casssidy, and she ordered it with my Amazon 1-click account--promises to pay me back, lol! My husband tried to gave me a candy bar from the dollar store, and I told him no way, I don't eat chocolate from the dollar store anymore---one piece from a really good chocolate shop is the only candy I want to be given, so he took me out to an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet, which was WAY too expensive & not worth it, but hey, at least I know now. HB to you too!

I had a fit a couple of months ago on Mother's day when nobody made any efforts at any celebration, and bawled out everyone who was at home. I credit this tantrum for the much classier treatment I've gotten this weekend, although I am still so embarrassed about it. It was a bunch of abuse piled up together that caused me to flip out, but still, I should have behaved better than I did.

My dh had the best of intentions, and has occasionally hit the jackpot, but usually he picks out something that I just wouldn't have picked.

Someone recently pointed out this site to me and it's helped! I just sent him the link to my page, and I occasionally add stuff to it as I'm surfing. Then when he wants to buy me a gift, he can go there and pick what he wants to get me, I'm (at least a little bit) surprised, and we're all happy! LOL

I've also been using it to keep track of ideas for family Christmas or birthday presents, etc. I'm hoping when it comes time to buy all the CMas gifts, I can just sit down and order them all and have them delivered - no mall rush, and since I've been thinking about it all year, they are gifts that will be appreciated.

and it was great. DH had been away on business and he's not too good about remembering to have presents for birthdays etc anyway, so I decided to get myself presents. I didn't get anything major, but just little things that I wouldn't otherwise buy myself and that dh and the kids wouldn't think of -- a nice photoframe, stationery, soaps. And then on my birthday I opened them all and was surprised that I got just what I wanted!

If DH gets me something, he's usually getting me something at the last minute because he feels guilty, and then he spends way too much money on something I really don't need/want. Buying my own presents worked well to prevent this. (not bashing dh, birthday presents just isn't something he does well, unlike many other things that he does do very well).

Sophie

You know what is really sad? What I would really like for my birthday is breakfast in bed and dh to take the kids somewhere for the day so I can have a day of peace and quiet. :lol: Somehow I don't think I'll be getting that. :D

This seems like a GREAT birthday present to me! Have you asked DH for this? He might actually be relieved to be able to get you what you want, which is really not much (but it feels like a LOT to a SAHM, doesn't it?!), after all. :001_smile:

I would definitely tell him what you want. Why not, you deserve it, right!:001_smile:

My hubby spoils me...I'll admit it. We went to college together married and never had money ...taking care of the girls was our first priority. So now, he just has a blast making me happy with goodies on special occassions.