Menu

Just an inside view into what it's like to teach dd14.

Working on WWS lesson 17 today. For those unfamiliar it was a lesson on using descriptions to give a positive or negative spin to your writing. She was to underline the words in the sentence that were positively or negatively slanted.

Me, "Did you read the lesson? Do you know what to do?"

DD, "Yes, yes." (slight annoyance that she had to complete her assignment today due to a pet emergency yesterday)

Me, after 2-3 minutes of observing her reading and re-reading the same short passage and doing no underlining, "Do you need help?"

DD, "There are no slanted words in this passage."

Me, "Yes, there are many. There is one in the very first sentence."

DD, reading the passage again, "NO. There are NO slanted words here!"

Me, "There are DD. Shall I give you the first one?"

DD, "No, because there aren't any...I don't know what you are looking at but my passage has none!" (Getting really upset now.)

Me, "You are saying that there are no descriptive words in that passage that give you the impression that the author is portraying the person in a strongly negative or strongly positive way?"

DD, "Well yes. There are lots of negative words but I don't see ANY of them typed in italics!"

Me, "Oh my, you are a literal child through and through."

DD (indignantly), "Of coarse I'm literally a child...what does that have to do with slanted words?"

:huh:

Aime, my DS19 is like that too. Our first indicator was when he was 3-4ish and was told to "eat half his fries before he could have ice cream". He ate half of every.single.fry. I was all :eek: . He says now that he wishes he could have been homeschooled so he could have graduated early. I think I'd need a white coat and padded cell to have homeschooled that kid!

Oh- the fun I have with my literal-minded DD. :glare: Luckily i think the same way, so it;s really my big-picture global thinker that baffles me. :confused1:

Example for The Literal One:

Me: "Wash the dishes, please."

TLO: "OK!"

(later)

Me: "TLO, why didn't you wash the pots, cups and silverware?"

TLO: "Because you only told me to wash the dishes."

Me: :banghead:

Of course, with the other one, as request to wash the dishes would be met with a thousand suggestions like :Do I have to sweep the floor, too? Do I have to wipe the counters? Can I repot the plant in the kicthen? Should I clean out the leftovers drawer in the fridge?

AND THE DISHES STILL WOULDN'T GET DONE!!!!!!

Example for The Literal One:

Me: "Wash the dishes, please."

TLO: "OK!"

(later)

Me: "TLO, why didn't you wash the pots, cups and silverware?"

TLO: "Because you only told me to wash the dishes."

Me: :banghead:

Oh, wow! I have had this EXACT same conversation with her...multiple times. :lol:

LOL do you have The Sponge as your dd? A couple of weeks ago I called, "Heads up!" and tossed something to her. She looked up and watched as it sailed through the air and hit her in the head. Her explanation was that I didn't say HANDS up to catch it, just heads up, so she put her head up.

Yes, well..you've seen my siggy quote right? Using it was mostly inspired by dd. The way her brain works is fascinating but maddening.

I hadn't seen it before, but I love it.

That's about how it is at my house. DS19 thinks in the black or white literal sense, whereas DS15 is so extremely scatterbrained that he doesn't seem to think at all!