Menu

Graphic artists--logo help?

Julie in CA

I need a logo for my business idea, and I don't really know how to go about getting it done. Anyone able to answer that for me?

I want a crossed whisk & wooden spoon, just a line drawing, and then the name of the business (4th St. Cafe & Bakery) in some creative way.

Any ideas?

What's the name of your business?

I'm thinking "The Whisk and Spoon" is a cuter name and you could integrate the whisk and spoon in the lettering.

(I'm a graphic designer, but I have little time right now).

Describe more about your business feel using adjectives:

classic, modern, comtemporary, homey, up-town, downtown, etc....?

I may be able to whip up some prelim idea sketches, but, again, I can't promise.

I do these kind of things for fun now, if I have time.

I'm thinking "The Whisk and Spoon" is a cuter name and you could integrate the whisk and spoon in the lettering.

(I'm a graphic designer, but I have little time right now).

Describe more about your business feel using adjectives:

classic, modern, comtemporary, homey, up-town, downtown, etc....?

I may be able to whip up some prelim idea sketches, but, again, I can't promise.

I do these kind of things for fun now, if I have time.

I like "4th St. Cafe & Bakery" because it answers the question about where the restaurant is located, each and every time someone mentions it or sees it in print.

The location is also an integral part of the small-town business district, so the fact that it's on 4th St. is a bit of a status thing in my little town, and would add to the feel that the restaurant was sort of a "community fixture", if that makes any sense.

The concept is a breakfast & lunch cafe + bakery. Nicer than greasy spoon or hole-in-the-wall. A place where the farmers (who are more sophisticated businessmen than you might think) could come & meet for business over a hearty breakfast. At lunchtime, I'm expecting to serve the people who work at city hall, the police department, and the farm bureau. All of those places are right across the street in one direction or another from my corner lot.

I don't want it to be too cutesy for the farmers & other businessmen, while keeping in mind that it really is a small-town cafe and needs to fit in & blend with the rural community.

I want the whisk & spoon forming an X to have simple & clean lines, just black & white. I think that would be a good choice because it would look equally as good on a sign above the door as it would in very small size on a business card. I'm not sure about how to incorporate the business name along with that.

I appreciate your help, but completely understand if you're too busy. :-)

This isn't exactly what you asked, so as always feel free to disregard.

I think if it's 4th St Cafe, you should not abbreviate "Street". Maybe not "fourth", either.

The name otherwise looks like a math problem to me- and I know I'm freaky, but my brain thinks "saint or street???". It seems awfully long, too. Most people will probably want to call it something shorter- are you married to keeping both "bakery" and "cafe"?

In my town, they would call it "Cafe Fourth" or something hipster sounding.

As far as where you could go to get a logo done, if the lovely previous poster doesn't have time - I used www.99designs.com

I got about 28 designers working on my logo, and ended up with close to 200 variations. I was very happy with the final design I chose.

I can see where you're coming from with the name - I think for a rural community, they don't go for something that's too 'swish'! ;) I think the name sounds like it'd suit your area. The addition of the 'Bakery' in the name also informs out-of-towners that it's somewhere they can grab a bakery item, rather than thinking it's just a place where they must sit down to eat.

Best of luck in your venture! We're all excited for you!

I used 99designs.com too and was exceptionally pleased. You REALLY have to give tons of feedback. The initial designs might not be great, but as the contest went on some fabulous designs came in. Worth every penny. Super low cost and we had lots to pick from! It really helped to look through all the pages of old designs and invite the max # of folks into the contest from the old 99designs. I worked hard to invite and give feedback but got what I wanted. I helped my sister use it to get a website and we had the same experience - crummy designs at first evolving into a perfect one.