Menu

Welp....this academic year really s*cked!!!

We did get lots of work done...but it was pure drudgery on everyone. We did cover our history...but it was choppy and weird. We NEVER got to science...thank God DD did bio in 8th grade, and I never submitted it for credit!

We never got to art, music or anything at all fun!! My youngest is resistant to anything school...

Our readers are sitting on the shelf...there are worksheets all over the place....lots got done, but with no sort of semblance or flow.

This was just the most boring, uninspiring, s*cky year EVER!!!!

Help me do better for next year! PLEASE!! I need to be so organized even a monkey could take over for me. I need the best teacher plans ever put together ( or even just OK ones....seriously!). So, mere is what we did do this year....help me hack my next year....

Boys grades 3&5.

English:

Started out with grade levels GWG, SWS and WWW....All 3 were a total bust. They learned NOTHING. After 18 weeks put them back into CLE and after a quick review, they are where they should be grade wise.

Math....3rd grader finished A Beka 2 and started 3. 5th grader finished CLE level 400 and is now 1/2 way through level 500.

Science: :-p. they have watched lots of documentaries and sciency things like Kratts Creatures and Bill Nye. They also used Snap Circuits and did some sciency experiments. We planned on using Elemental Science Physics...but never even cracked open the guide....sigh!

History: we used SOTW 2 and CHOW and some Hx encyclopedias....all willy nilly....also some read alouds etc. we did maps and coloring pages grudgingly, but we did them. No umph in our sails.

Phys Ed. Well, we do a lot of running and jumping and walking and scootering and bicycling and sledding and generally playing....a lot....outside every day.

Ummmmmm....yeah....I am tired.

Anyway....we covered stuff....yes, we did! But it was boring and choppy....and made me feel like an awful teacher.

Dd in 9 th started out with Jensen's Grammar, windows to the World lit, Prentice Hall Hx, Holt Bio w/Oak Meadow , teaching Textbooks ALg. 1, and phys Ed.

We dropped Jensen's , WttW and P/h Hx in favor of CLE English 1 and Literature 1. We dropped P/H or rather delegated it to a back burner and went back to real books, research and report style. Lots of research happened with very little report....sigh. She completed 1/2 of Alg. 1 which is ok with me....she is slow in math, and I want her to grasp the material completely before we move ahead.

Science was a total BUST! She did complete a full life science credit last year which dovetailed completely with her Bio text. We worked only on the new components and vocabulary using her life science notebook as a reference.....but, this was like pulling teeth from an alligator!

Again....no flow....just pure drudgery!!!! And because I was such a slacker and figured ( I should know better by now!!!!) she could just do the next flipping lesson, Well....we fell awkwardly behind. I will not grant credit, so it looks like 9th grade will extend well into next year....fine with me and her! We are not in a rush to graduate her...she has many LDs...and is very immature and she knows it!

So, anyway....in looking forward to next year...I want some FLOW!

I want some projects the kids can do which exhaust them but NOT me.

I want an excellent TM with REAL assignments....not just comprehension questions.

I would like some real character training/Biblical studies to flesh out our studies.

I do not want repeat or redundancy in our day. If ds is doing copywork in history, I don't want copywork in his LA that day, If we are writing summaries in Science, he does not need a summary in reading and history too. I have yet to put together my own resources without having this redundancy to the point of ridiculousness!!!!! The poor kid is as frustrated as I am.

Ok....please help me here...

Grade levels for next year will be 4,6& 9

All kids are beginning our 3rd year history cycle...Explorers- 1800

All kids want to do astronomy/earth science.

I want great assignments....a schedule for the books....and little to no redundancy...but especially...I WANT and need some flow to our days!!!!

Please bombard me with ideas....this is my research and decide time of year! HELP!!!

Faithe

PS...I do have these resources

BF Medieval Ren/ Ref & American Hx guides

TOG Year 2 Classic

Sonlight 1 yeat world Hx

Veritas Press cards and manual etc

SOTW : 2-3

prentice Hall Patterns of W/H

Loads of books etc.

For science, I have lots of real books and experiment books...but no curricula or scheduled type stuff....and helps here would be amazing!

Any ideas on just doing writing ( I want clear cut instruction here) across our. Hx and science...but NOT IEW??? I just can never get myself to do those with the kids. It drives me bonkers!

literature for my littles....I would love some fun projects to do with REAL LIVE books. Not too much prep from me...but clear instructions or ideas. More than a boring book summary or report, but maybe some project ideas...diarama, mobiles, ideas???? We are BORED to tears with just reading and narrating. We want glue and glitter and stuff like that!

My kids are young for their ages and grade levels....so, it is ok to shoot for lower than grade level that I can spruce up rather than bring down.

1.....2...3..... Let's plan!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!

Yikes. That's a lot to sort through. I have found the only way to avoid redundancy is to put it together myself, but you seem to have had the opposite issue. I'm not sure I understand why though.

I'd start with what works.

Boys

English - CLE

Math - Abeka and CLE

Science - elemental physics that wasn't used

History - ?

Girl

English - CLE

Math - TT

Science - ?

History - ?

So these are the gaps I'm seeing as needing filled. Are you wanting to fill them or ditch everything for a box program or?

It sounds like the biggest issue is consistent use and I don't know if a program of any kind can fix that. Said gently bc we've all btdt when it comes to motivation slumps!

With you younger boys, maybe you could do the Prairie Primer? My kids have really enjoyed it. About every 3ish years, I pull it out and we have a relaxing year of reading, projects, and food. Just add writing and math.

For writing, it's not across the history and science, but Write with the Best vol 1 and 2 is quite a deal for the price. It is very clear, very simple, daily instruction. For a kid who hates to write, we see lots of improvement with this, it also helps to just get through a period of blahs in motivation.

These are low key, but well organized materials.

I am in a similar boat Faithe.

Given that oldest may or may not even be well enough to do school in the fall makes life more difficult, youngest kind of fell by the wayside due to the death of her aunt, the massive heart attack my Mom had, and the weeks I was gone or we all were dealing with all of it.

At this point for 6th, she is in CLE Math 606, 3/4 of the way through This Country of Ours, 3/4 done with BJU Science 6, half way done with Voyages in English 6 and done with her logic book. All of which she had mostly done by herself. We didn't do anything fun either except our Shakespeare class and she sat in on the Spectrum Chemistry weekly labs which we were still doing even though eldest didn't get much out of it due to her cognitive issues. We had to do it because a friend was teaching it to 5 kids, here at my house.

Rambling a bit, sorry.

I'd stick with CLE for math and maybe science, youngest, given options decided she liked the format and chose it herself. I love it because it is pretty much open and go, the tests and quizzes tell me how she is doing even if I can't keep track daily.

I picked up Voyages in English 6-8 at a book sale so will continue to use it and I'm thinking of some Progeny Press lit guides. IEW was a bust for us too.

History is a huge problem with youngest, she hates literature based studies, the backbone of our school for years. Not sure what to do with her but in the past I've used and loved Mystery of History, wouldn't you know I've loaned it out and can't find it!

What about lapbooks? Here is a great write-up on all the fun you can have with MOH. http://thecraftyclassroom.com/blog/2011/09/25/mystery-of-history-activities/

Hope you figure it all out.

I'd focus on getting your high schooler's curricula squared away first. That would be my top priority.

I'd be far less concerned about specific science and history content and output for your elementary students - I'd focus on studying interesting content and quality of output over quantity.

Just my two cents on the bigger picture :)

For science for your high schooler, maybe Paradigm Intergrated Physics and Chemistry? It's very simple and easy peasy to plan and doesn't require algebra.

For history for your high schooler, does she like reading? Does she have any particuliar interest in any field? A certain time period? A certain geographical location? A certain concept? exploration, France, clothing, buildings, art? Anything? That would help give a starting point?

Hi Faithe,

It doesn't fit your criteria completely, but for the younger kids, how about spending the yr studying the Narnia Chronicles. I really didn't use Further Up and Further in as intended, but since your kids are supposed to study Explorers through 1800, you couldn't ask for a better general overlap b/c of sea exploration, British history, etc. We had a great time with the study.

For your dd, LL from LOTR's might boost some enthusiasm. Incorporating works like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Shakespeare, Iliad/Odyssey, Beowulf + some medieval history (or a textbook like Western Civilization (we love Noble's book. We enjoy his TC lectures on Western Civ, too) http://www.amazon.co...s (6th Edition)

would make a good combo. If you incorporate the TC lectures, you could use the guidebook for notes. The textbook highlights key concepts, etc.

Sounds like Friendly Chemistry or Conceptual Chemistry might be a good choice for her for next yr. Neither one requires strong math skills.

Hope that helps, somewhat. (((hugs))) Wish you were closer by and I would have you over. This has been the most stressful yr of my life (nothing to do with school). I could use some company to distract me!!

You know...I think I am just burnt....LOL!!!

All around....life etc,

For History, we have been following the timeline set up by SOTW ....and then using books to fill in and then back to SOTW. My 9th grader is somewhat LD and immature, so has no problem listening to SOTW read aloud...( she enjoys it even though she has heard it all before last time through.). She loves to read but, has a really screwy way of looking at and deciphering what she has read....she thinks very differently than the rest of us...lol, and we are not all there either...LOL!

I need some kind of output for all the input we inputted.... We covered the Fall of the Roman Empire - the Reformation...roughly 33 AD- 1500 this year. We have some maps, coloring pages, outlines and summaries....but I would really love to see something MORE....if that makes sense, especially from a high schooler.

The boys covered the same time period...but mostly look like deer in headlights if I ask them anything about it other than King Arthur or Marco Polo!!! Oh, they also loved the story of King Alfred & the Cakes.

As far as Math....we will keep on keepin' on....

Come to think of it, it is not my materials that are the problem....or even consistency in using them....but the lack of coherence and maybe some shebang output. Something to make us all feel like we accomplished something....and I really do NOT want to put on a Medieval feast with costumes....that is just SO NOT US!

The redundancy is just built into coursework....sigh....I am not sure how to bypass that except daily looking through the course and ex-ing stuff out....

I know my shoot from the hip style of homeschooling works for us...however, we need less of that because my time is scarcer and more of a commodity these days....

So, that is a little more background....

Faithe

For history for the younger dc I would use SOTW 3 along with the BF guide for the same time period. Then I would pick one project per chapter or every other chapter, gather the materials for each (maybe plan 6 weeks at a time), type up a "how to" list for each and hand it off to the 4th and 6th grader and let them go at it - minus you. Also, compile a Netflix list for them to use as they have time or interest.

I would also consider switching over to working on core skills (Language Arts) during history, science and literature. All those separate LA components make my skin crawl. :p You can cover writing, grammar, punctuation, usage, penmanship, spelling (in addition to a spelling program if your dc struggle with this subject), vocab, note taking, reading, and some literature and poetry just in science and history (which includes geography) alone. Add in a good literature study, such as 8 suggested and maybe a fun foreign language study (Getting Started with Latin or Spanish would be no-stress), your math, and a few logic puzzle books and you have an enriching, but simple plan for your boys.

If you are concerned that grammar won't be covered sufficiently this way you can consider putting the boys through Analytical Grammar in 7th and 8th to shore up any weak areas or gaps.

For history for the younger dc I would use SOTW 3 along with the BF guide for the same time period. Then I would pick one project per chapter or every other chapter, gather the materials for each (maybe plan 6 weeks at a time), type up a "how to" list for each and hand it off to the 4th and 6th grader and let them go at it - minus you. Also, compile a Netflix list for them to use as they have time or interest.

I would also consider switching over to working on core skills (Language Arts) during history, science and literature. All those separate LA components make my skin crawl. :p You can cover writing, grammar, punctuation, usage, penmanship, spelling (in addition to a spelling program if your dc struggle with this subject), vocab, note taking, reading, and some literature and poetry just in science and history (which includes geography) alone. Add in a good literature study, such as 8 suggested and maybe a fun foreign language study (Getting Started with Latin or Spanish would be no-stress), your math, and a few logic puzzle books and you have an enriching, but simple plan for your boys.

If you are concerned that grammar won't be covered sufficiently this way you can consider putting the boys through Analytical Grammar in 7th and 8th to shore up any weak areas or gaps.

We have ALWAYS...well, up until I started working full time....based all of our LA on our History, science and literature. Spelling, vocabulary, grammar etc. was backed up with Latin. Somehow, when I had my last auto-immune flare up and I was also working full time....all these workbooks etc. made their way into our curricula.

Unfortunately, one of the things that my AI issue caused was serious brain gaps. I am finally finding words that allow me to express my thoughts coherently...and through it all my kids did not fall behind academically, except in math, and we are always behind in math....so.....

This year we did move toward a simpler program....but something, ???????, was missing!

And like I said....we need more flow. :-)

Hi Faithe,

It doesn't fit your criteria completely, but for the younger kids, how about spending the yr studying the Narnia Chronicles. I really didn't use Further Up and Further in as intended, but since your kids are supposed to study Explorers through 1800, you couldn't ask for a better general overlap b/c of sea exploration, British history, etc. We had a great time with the study.

For your dd, LL from LOTR's might boost some enthusiasm. Incorporating works like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Shakespeare, Iliad/Odyssey, Beowulf + some medieval history (or a textbook like Western Civilization (we love Noble's book. We enjoy his TC lectures on Western Civ, too) http://www.amazon.co...s (6th Edition)

would make a good combo. If you incorporate the TC lectures, you could use the guidebook for notes. The textbook highlights key concepts, etc.

Sounds like Friendly Chemistry or Conceptual Chemistry might be a good choice for her for next yr. Neither one requires strong math skills.

Hope that helps, somewhat. (((hugs))) Wish you were closer by and I would have you over. This has been the most stressful yr of my life (nothing to do with school). I could use some company to distract me!!

I wish I was closer by too!! We have SO been through the wringer for years together....and I would love to just meet you IRL and thank you for always being a good friend....

The Narnia thing look great! We used the Prairie Primer 3 or 4 times in the past!!! I also would love to do LLfrom LOTR, but we covered Sir Gawain, Beowulf etc. ad nauseum this year.

Would the Narnia stuff be well below her? She really likes schooling all together....doesn't feel weird even though her brothers are younger. I guess that is because she was also included in her older siblings studies....

I will look closely at the science suggestions....more later....need to go toss some workbooks!

I am a huge fan of "the best curriculum is the one that gets used". You have a lot of stuff - but it's not working. Let it go. It's OK. You're not a failure - it just doesn't fit. Chanel is great - but not on me no matter what the price! I'm a "Life is Good" shirt and a running skort girl. :-)

I would recommend:

Math and LA - CLE

I'd add CLE reading. It covers LOADS of stuff - glossary use, setting, terms, etc. and it's only 5 light units. I think there's tons of bang for the buck with this one. And - your kids have the system already.

History - If you can swing it - Veritas Press online. It's A-MAZ-ING and totally self directed. My kids do it together and have learned a TON. Add the reading list and you're set for literature and history.

We're using BJU online science. It gets done every day and my kids really like it. I set the precedent early that whatever the teacher assigns - do it. Optional - do it. It's been our best, most consistent science year, ever. I know - it's pricey - but you can combine levels and - best of all - it gets done.

Writing - not the best - but do what CLE requires and add one 5 paragraph summary each week based on the VP history cards. Super easy but it gets them writing. And reviewing.

Don't beat yourself up with "what could have beens". Let it go. catch your breath and start up strong a little earlier next year. You can do it!!!

Can you do unit studies with the boys? Or combine them more?

We finally gave into unit studies last year and it was so very nice. We started with Moving Beyond The Page and loved them except for a few drawbacks (lots of printing, non-chronological history/social studies), but they offer a range of activities for different abilities. This year we're using Learning Adventures - chronological history wrapping every other subject together except math, and it's good for a wide range, too.

Maybe look into something like Intellego, too, where they still get to watch videos for science and look at cool links, but there are hands on projects for them to do, also.

I wish I was closer by too!! We have SO been through the wringer for years together....and I would love to just meet you IRL and thank you for always being a good friend....

The Narnia thing look great! We used the Prairie Primer 3 or 4 times in the past!!! I also would love to do LLfrom LOTR, but we covered Sir Gawain, Beowulf etc. ad nauseum this year.

Would the Narnia stuff be well below her? She really likes schooling all together....doesn't feel weird even though her brothers are younger. I guess that is because she was also included in her older siblings studies....

I will look closely at the science suggestions....more later....need to go toss some workbooks!

Just the Narnia study would not be appropriate for 9th grade, but you could make it work by incorporating Lewis's adult works in addition for her. (We spent a lot of time with Lewis this yr with my 11th grader and it has been great!) You could have her read the Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength), Til We Have Faces (great Kreeft lectures on line to accompany this one), Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, and maybe even The Great Divorce. It would open up all sorts of areas for discussion/comparison. And, you get the added benefit of the fact that the books are all great reads. :)

I don't go over their lessons every day. Once a week I write the plans in their planners for the week ahead. So if say science had a narration on Tuesday and do did history, I'd just bump the history one to another day.

Honestly? It sounds like you found your solution in incorporating more workbooks. You just don't have the time, energy, or motivation to do a bunch of preplanned whatever or create your own thing this year. It happens.

I'm seeing a conflict between what you want and what you can realistically manage.

You want projects and such as output, but you just can't manage to plan, organize and help make that happen.

You want a customized program, but you're not at a place where you can customize it.

When that happens, a solid no frills get it done workbook based program isn't a bad idea for a season in home schooling.

Maybe you could compromise and just pick one project based subject like science?

Home science adventure kits are awesome, fun and low key stress for mom.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing styles. :)

OK, I haven't read through the responses yet and you'll probably get lots of good advice. But here's mine :) I, too, had a couple of years where I was totally burned out. The kids picked up on my mood and their moods reflected my own. So I knew I needed to get involved in something *I* was interested in or liked to use. My boys are good students and, with one exception, can use just about any material.

For your younger kids:

English - Check out MCT materials. They combine literature, poetry, writing, and grammar and it is well integrated. I found it an interesting twist on boring ol' grammar/literature and consequently I was motivated to use it and the boys enjoyed the change in routine.

Math - stick to what works.

Science - I'm a big fan of letting the grammar stage kids watch videos, do experiments, get out in nature, etc. without too much structure. If you want some structure you could use something topical like the Dr. Dave's http://www.rfwp.com/series/dr-daves-teaching-manuals. I've never used them because my boys were too old, but they look really inviting, IMO.

History - I'd just let them read books, do a one page write up for each book, and file it away in a binder so they can see their accomplishments at the end of the year. My boys LOATHED coloring pages but they liked to draw. So you could have them draw a scene or something if that's something they like. But at that age, I play it really low key.

Fine Arts - ask them what they want to do. If they aren't studying an instrument, you could do short segments of several types of things: music appreciation, art appreciation, drama, etc. Do lots of field trips and hands on. At that age, just getting a feel for the ideas is good enough, IMO. It's funny, but 3 of my boys studied instruments early, put them aside in high school, and have subsequently picked them back up more seriously than ever before. So it's not the end of the world if the kids don't want to study anything special in those early years :)

Honestly, my boys enjoyed (as much as is boyishly possible) anything that I enjoyed. It sounds like it's time to shake things up around your home :) and do something you really want to do. Is there something special you always wanted to do with them that you have never done because it didn't "fit" the schedule? Do it now! My boys thoroughly enjoyed the years where we did short segments of things. I think that's why MCT English worked so well...a year of anything was just too onerous for them. Even now, my high schoolers prefer the college courses they are taking because it's more information packed into less time but they can keep focused on fewer subjects.

I think you've got some great advice for the oldest...so I'll defer to those (esp. since I don't have a girl :) )

Just the Narnia study would not be appropriate for 9th grade, but you could make it work by incorporating Lewis's adult works in addition for her. (We spent a lot of time with Lewis this yr with my 11th grader and it has been great!) You could have her read the Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength), Til We Have Faces (great Kreeft lectures on line to accompany this one), Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, and maybe even The Great Divorce. It would open up all sorts of areas for discussion/comparison. And, you get the added benefit of the fact that the books are all great reads. :)

Hmmmmm....think I have the TC Course on CS Lewis around here somewhere....hmmmmmmm.....

Honestly, my boys enjoyed (as much as is boyishly possible) anything that I enjoyed. It sounds like it's time to shake things up around your home :) and do something you really want to do. Is there something special you always wanted to do with them that you have never done because it didn't "fit" the schedule? Do it now! My boys thoroughly enjoyed the years where we did short segments of things. I think that's why MCT English worked so well...a year of anything was just too onerous for them. Even now, my high schoolers prefer the college courses they are taking because it's more information packed into less time but they can keep focused on fewer subjects.

I think you've got some great advice for the oldest...so I'll defer to those (esp. since I don't have a girl :) )

Honestly....this is so where I am at!! I think the flow that was missing was MINE! Back when I homeschooled my oldest 3, I didn't worry much about credits or requirements....but focused on being excited about what we were DOING and LEARNING as a family. Things were simpler and quieter then....

I loved homeschooling then....

You are spot on....lots to think about here....

Hmmmmm....think I have the TC Course on CS Lewis around here somewhere....hmmmmmmm.....

I really disliked those lectures. They are one of 2 sets that I have seriously considered sending back for a refund. :p

Kreeft's lecture on Til We Have Faces is incredible. He has another one on The Abolition of Man which is also really good. (in this one he refers to how modern education has reduced man to apes in suits since performing is more valued in education than actual thinking.)

Some other sources that are deeper and high school level rhetoric that would work would be Tolkien's On Fairy Tales and Kreeft's Philosophy of Tolkien (even though it is about Tolkien, trust me it is definitely about Lewis as well!!) If you can find it, Sammons, Martha C. A Guide Through CS Lewis' Space Trilogy. Westchester, IL: Cornerstone Books, 1980 is a good source for evaluating the Space Trilogy. (I found a copy used for a couple of dollars.)

I really disliked those lectures. They are one of 2 sets that I have seriously considered sending back for a refund. :p

Kreeft's lecture on Til We Have Faces is incredible. He has another one on The Abolition of Man which is also really good. (in this one he refers to how modern education has reduced man to apes in suits since performing is more valued in education than actual thinking.)

Some other sources that are deeper and high school level rhetoric that would work would be Tolkien's On Fairy Tales and Kreeft's Philosophy of Tolkien (even though it is about Tolkien, trust me it is definitely about Lewis as well!!) If you can find it, Sammons, Martha C. A Guide Through CS Lewis' Space Trilogy. Westchester, IL: Cornerstone Books, 1980 is a good source for evaluating the Space Trilogy. (I found a copy used for a couple of dollars.)

Thanks for the heads up. I know I started listening to that lecture years back....and stopped....now, I know why!!! LOL! Will definitely check out the Tolkein lectures! <3 Kreeft!!! And will look for the Space Trilogy guide. I just read those recently...and I finally " got" what he was talking about. I think my brain is moving back in. It is nice to have it back! It has been a while.

Faithe

What about the Trail Guide to Learning from Geomatters? There are 3 to choose from (I think your 9th grader might be too old, but it would work for the younger ones), and everything is included and tied together so there would be the flow you are looking for.

What about the Trail Guide to Learning from Geomatters? There are 3 to choose from (I think your 9th grader might be too old, but it would work for the younger ones), and everything is included and tied together so there would be the flow you are looking for.

I will check it out!!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Biblioplan year 3? It is planned out, and covers history and lit. I personally think it lacks enough reading, so would add more books in, in a book basket format I guess. Not sure for science. sorry.

I was going to suggest this. BP has history pages now, which include essay questions for the uppper levels. It has maps, timeline books, a weekly assignment schedule and it's all neatly laid out. I will be using this with my highschoolers along with Smarr lit. We are using CLE or TT for math. CLE for language. Science for the younger ones will be apologia with the student notebooks, which has a schedule and has everything all nice and neatly laid out. IEW for writing. We had a terrible year this year too so for next year I am looking for things that are all laid out and don't take a lot of planning on my part.

I was going to suggest this. BP has history pages now, which include essay questions for the uppper levels. It has maps, timeline books, a weekly assignment schedule and it's all neatly laid out. I will be using this with my highschoolers along with Smarr lit. We are using CLE or TT for math. CLE for language. Science for the younger ones will be apologia with the student notebooks, which has a schedule and has everything all nice and neatly laid out. IEW for writing. We had a terrible year this year too so for next year I am looking for things that are all laid out and don't take a lot of planning on my part.

Thanks Jean! I will check out BP ...I have the year we need....but no pages or anything....it is an older version. Hmmmmm......

I'm not sure if the new pages will go with the old guide or not. I hope you find what works for your family!

You know, this always happens to me!!! I hate it! I get a curriculum that NEEDS student pages etc. even though it is sold as complete...the company adds components that are really, REALLY needed...then they sell them and change the original manual so you can no longer use it!!!!

It really gets my bloomers in a big fat twist!!!!!

With you younger boys, maybe you could do the Prairie Primer? My kids have really enjoyed it. About every 3ish years, I pull it out and we have a relaxing year of reading, projects, and food. Just add writing and math.

For writing, it's not across the history and science, but Write with the Best vol 1 and 2 is quite a deal for the price. It is very clear, very simple, daily instruction. For a kid who hates to write, we see lots of improvement with this, it also helps to just get through a period of blahs in motivation.

These are low key, but well organized materials.

oooo...Martha, Martha, Martha! I have been dying to do the Prairie Primer with my kids. However, my first two girls, to my chagrin were so NOT into LHOTP. However, my 3rd dd is loving the books and reading through them in the second grade so I am going to give it a try with my youngest 2 next year. (will be K and 3rd grade) Tell me that I will love it!

MommyFaith... have you looked at BJUP English? I love their TM's and the steady progression that they make through the year. Also, every other chapter is a composition chapter, so even the young ones get some writing practice, but it is not overkill!

Your elementary kids, I would just pick a weekly topic and bombard them with library books on that topic. Maybe do some science and history projects on that topic. For science and history, I might just let go of it formally for awhile and do nature studies and reading good, fun books.

As far as high school...I don't have a clue. I'm muddling through that myself.

You know, this always happens to me!!! I hate it! I get a curriculum that NEEDS student pages etc. even though it is sold as complete...the company adds components that are really, REALLY needed...then they sell them and change the original manual so you can no longer use it!!!!

It really gets my bloomers in a big fat twist!!!!!

I understand. However, I don't think you need the student pages and could use just the guide, but the student pages make the curriculum more open and go, which is what I am needing right now.

oooo...Martha, Martha, Martha! I have been dying to do the Prairie Primer with my kids. However, my first two girls, to my chagrin were so NOT into LHOTP. However, my 3rd dd is loving the books and reading through them in the second grade so I am going to give it a try with my youngest 2 next year. (will be K and 3rd grade) Tell me that I will love it!

I know that's about the age we loved it. Right around 3rd grade seems just about perfect whenni did it with my kids. For some reason the 4th graders are just a bit too old for it, at least in their minds. Also, my fourth graders were way beyond that reading level, so it might have been that too. Though I do recall they never had a problem joining in on the food. ;)