Menu

Another question for low carbers

Truscifi

You were so helpful last time!

I have traditionally cooked roasts in the crockpot with a recipe that makes a yummy mushroom gravy, but I have avoided this since we started weaning off starches because we always have potatoes with it. Well, I miss the recipe. Mostly I miss the gravy. So my question is what do you serve with gravy that is low carb? Or do you just not have gravy? I know the cauli-rice is an option, but I'm not sure it would go well with gravy. Plus dh said it was ok, but I know he would not like to have it too often.

Any root veggie is good with a roast! Turnips, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, whatever you like. You can always go with sweet potatoes if root veggies are not your style. Gravy can be made with coconut or almond flour, too. Google Paleo gravy recipes for ideas! You can still have your recipe...just alter it a bit to fit.

I just use the "pan" juices, which are quite tasty.

Also, I brown the meat first in a fry pan, and yes, I use a little flour on both sides of the meat, rubbed in with ground cloves, salt and pepper. Then I put the meat in the crockpot with all the veggies, and scrape out the brown bits from the pan into the crockpot. It isn't that much, but the browning does add flavor and a *tiny* bit of thickening. I poke the meat all over and pour on Lea & Perrins, maybe some vinegar.

We aren't strictly no carb, just getting away from the starches and generally reducing carbs. We still eat fruit, which is our main source of carbs. So I'm not worried about making a low carb gravy, just what to put it on. We just did cauliflower Monday, and it is not dh's favorite so I don't want to do it again so soon. The mashed root vegetable mix is a possibility. I could maybe do a rough mash of carrots, turnips, and just one potato.

Sigh. I would be fine with mashed cauliflower or turnips on a regular basis. Dh wants low carb, but he doesn't want those subs. So I wind up trying to come up with brand new recipes that don't (at least in my mind) need rice, pasta, or potatoes to go with them. Which is fine too, it is good to expand and try new things, but sometimes I miss my old recipes.

Anyway, if you made it through my whine, thanks. :tongue_smilie:

We would do: mashed cauli or roasted root veggies (parsnips, turnips, etc.). You can mash turnips too if you like those, but it doesn't sound like he's particularly fond ;) . If you peel well and then boil in a little cream, it takes a lot of the "bite" out of a turnip. Radishes are pretty good thrown in the crockpot. When cooked a long time they lose most of their bite, and end up kind of like a watery new potato once salted.

I usually just use pan juices. Sometimes I scrape up the pan with a whisk to get all of the brown bits up, and then whisk in a bit of heavy cream with the pan juices. Makes a nice little sauce.

Since it's mushroom gravy, what about a brand new side dish: roasted mushrooms with gravy!

I think I'd first try just a bunch if whole fresh mushrooms right in the crock pot with everything (caution, they put out water as they cook down) and see how that comes out -- just serve a scoop of saucy mushroomy goodness as-is. If that's mushy, try roasting the mushrooms in an oven or toaster oven with a bit if oil and garlic salt and pour the gravy over them.

How do you make gravy with coconut flour? I tried it, but the results were not good.

I've had it come out badly, too. I think the secret is to use some coconut milk with the pan drippings first, add sifted coconut flour slowly and give it enough time to really cook. Almond flour or arrowroot flour may be easier for you, if coconut flour is giving you trouble. My DH actually prefers almond flour, as he's not a big fan of coconut "where coconut doesn't belong," ie. in anything other than a dessert! ;)

Fauxtatoes Deluxe:

1 large head cauliflower

1/3 c. Cream

4 oz. Cream cheese

1 tbsp. Butter

Salt and pepper

Simmer cauliflower in water with cream added to it. When the cauliflower is very soft, drain thoroughly. Put the still warm cauliflower in food processor with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper, and process until smooth. (I usually just mash mine with a potato masher by hand.)

This is SO good! We are having it tonight. :)

Fauxtatoes Deluxe:

1 large head cauliflower

1/3 c. Cream

4 oz. Cream cheese

1 tbsp. Butter

Salt and pepper

Simmer cauliflower in water with cream added to it. When the cauliflower is very soft, drain thoroughly. Put the still warm cauliflower in food processor with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper, and process until smooth. (I usually just mash mine with a potato masher by hand.)

This is SO good! We are having it tonight. :)

My mouth is watering! I make a similar mash for when I make faux shepherd's pie. With lots of butter and some cream (and s & p), I don't even miss potatoes.