Menu

(Board) Games for the Pre-K / K set

Punchie

Our family loves playing games. I thought it would be fun to have a thread going where we can share what we like for the younger set. :)

We like:

Chicken Cha Cha Cha

Hoot Owl Hoot

Hiss

Splish Splash

Fruttirelli

Sneaky Snacky Squirrel

At this age, my older DD liked:

Uno

Old Maid

Go Fish

Snail's Pace Race

What games are popular in your house?

4.5 and 5.5yos here. We all like Uno, Go Fish, Old Maid, memory, What's Gnu, Zingo, Snap It Up (phonics card game), other DIY phonics games, and simple domino games.

We've mostly outgrown but still like Bunny Hop, Uno Moo, and the Cat in the Hat "I can do that!" game.

They like, but I never did, the following: Elefun, Cootie, Candy Land, Hi Ho Cherry-O. I avoid those, but still get roped into them occasionally.

By age 3 or so:

The Orchard Game http://www.amazon.com/Haba-3103-Orchard-Game/dp/B000ELORPY

Uno

I have banished Candyland, Sorry, and Chutes and Ladders from my house, but those are all playable by 4ish.

By 5, Battleship, Yahtzee, Mastermind (if an adult is the guesser). Monopoly Jr is well done. Scrabble Jr has a match-the-letters side and a blank side so it's good for a wide range of ages.

My kids have been able to play shortened games of Settlers of Catan by age 6. They don't usually have the patience for 10 points, but do well to 7 or 8. Carcassone started working around that age too.

My 2.5 year old loves playing WITH games without actually playing. He spends a ridiculous amount of time arranging Quirkle tiles but will do similar things with Blokus and really any game with lots of pieces. I just make him keep them at the table so nothing gets lost. Anyway, it's an idea if you want to occupy them independently.

Blokus

Candyland

Qwirkle

Pictionary Jr

Operation

Banagrams

Cranium (this is teen adult level but we play as a family and we tweak it as much as possible for the littles to play---tons of fun.)

Spill Your Guts

Perplexus ball

Checkers and chess and mancala

We don't play cards but we do kid's cards like Uno and memory and Go Fish or Old maid. But no regular playing cards.

T

I have banished Candyland, Sorry, and Chutes and Ladders from my house, but those are all playable by 4ish.

I agree! I have noticed that when those games are played, there is a lot of fighting, hurt feelings, tears, etc. We kept Candyland though because my dd likes the pictures, however changed the rules to play cooperatively.

We play "Go Fish" with fairy cards and we also play Snail's Pace Race - the most awesome game ever because the snails race each other, rather than players competing with one another.

If you like cooperative games, Hoot Owl Hoot, is fun. The company that makes it has other cooperative games.

DS4 and DS3 love UNO, UNO Moo, Monopoly Junior, Tumblin' Monkeys, Candy Land, and The Ladybug Game. They play Rivers, Roads, and Rails informally; they lose their attention span for the correct game rules pretty quickly for some reason.

Tic Tac Toe is the only "banned game" in our house, because DS4 insists on telling his opponent which spot to go in, and it follows the same pattern every time. He throws his pencil and stomps off if you try to play by the rules. He doesn't do this with any other game, just Tic Tac Toe. It's weird.

I haven't heard of a lot of these!

DS likes:

Sequence Jr. (his favorite)

The Ladybug Game

Toot and Otto

Lego Robo Champ (ugh)

I keep my nice Ravensburger games in the school room on a low shelf, and we don't think of them! I need to put them in the living room. He's not quite ready for Enchanted Forest or Labyrinth.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lumpy

DD (3.5yo) loves:

Richard Scarry BusyTown

Sneaky Snacky Squirel

Candyland

Eeboo Build a Robot

Silly Socks

We have several others, but she doesn't care for them...

Thank you Punchie for mentioning the Hoot Owl game.

I looked it up on Amazon, and it is a little old for DD. But, the same company has one where you work together to get all the runaway chicks back to the coop for the Mother Hen. That has been a hit.

It made me thankful to the internet and Amazon. As a kid, my family was really into games. My parents would have gleefully bought the same games I am gleefully buying now. At my parent's house the games are stored on a metal shelving unit 4' wide by 6' tall, and they don't all fit. But, because my parents were limited to what was at the local store, which for kid's games was only Chutes and Ladders and the like.

I wanted to add games DD started liking as a K'er since I was thinking of my 3 yr old when I posted this:

Spot It!

Animal Yahtzee

Parcheesi

Rush Hour Jr.

Frog Juice (she needed a bit of help w/the addition, but she loves the game)