Menu

new chickens! words of wisdom?

jeninok

We are the new keepers of 3 tiny chicks!! Atwoods had a good deal on coops so we brought home babies, a coop, food and water dishes and a bag of chick starter they said was a good brand. Right now the chicks are in a 4 foot aquarium with a heat lamp and newspaper and food/water. We will build their coop this week, but they are way too little go in it for a while.

So any words of wisdom for novice chicken keepers?

http://www.backyardchickens.com

Check them for pasty butt every day. Meyer (where most of atwoods and TSC chicks come from) chicks seem to have a tendency for it.

If they start cheeping a lot then they need tending to, too hot, too cold, need food or water. Pay attention to their behavior more than the thermometer.

Since it is your first time I would highly recommend going back for more. The first time out it's best to get twice the amount you want to end up with because mortality rate the first time is usually high due to trial and error. Then if you find you've done well you can sell the extras!

Good luck! Chickens are wonderfully fun!

Oh! And you might research your bedding choice. I've always heard paper can cause splay leg, but I've never used it so I wouldn't know for sure :)

We switched them out to pine already, and they perked right up, ate and scratched around. They were cheeping frantically after dinner so I put.them closer to the lamp and the went right to sleep.

Two of them already look like little dinosaurs and the 3rd is tan and brown and still round and adorable.

How do you get the little metal wing tags off without hurting them?

The lady down the street has buff orphington chicks in her mom and pop hardware store, they come from her and her friends coops so I might add to the flock tomorrow.if they still look as healthy as the last time I looked.