Menu

Today I am no longer a homeschooler, and it feels strange

2squared

My three school aged kids are in public school right now, my two younger ones are napping, and I'm making keep/toss/sell piles of my homeschool materials. My day has been quiet and relaxed compared to my homeschooling days, but I miss all their annoying noise and chaos. It's almost too easy to have only a 4yo and 2yo at home. :)

My PS kids eat breakfast and lunch at school, so I really only need to make one "real" meal today. Weird, weird, weird. After the bus drops them off in an hour, they will have a snack, play until dinner, eat, complete homework, bathe, and be in bed by 8:30 so we can start the circus all over tomorrow morning.

My head is swimming with all the changes, but I have to get mentally set so I can prepare for my interview tomorrow. If I don't think too much about any one thing and just keep trudging forward, I can avoid the tears.

This transition has been difficult, and I continue to mourn the good things we are losing. We will be OK, though. I know many fabulous public school kids with two working parents. We can be like those families too. It's just going to take time.

I'll be facing that change in the foreseeable future. It's going to feel weird for me, too. DS is already in daycare, I may never get to homeschool him at all. But sometimes we have to make the best choice given the situation, not given what would be ideal in a different situation.

:grouphug:

• 1 month later...

I am going through something very similar, although I am not going back to work. The kids decide they wanted to try it out, so we let them. They love it so far. I am doing a summer homeschool program (definitely math, possibly language arts), and I will homeschool youngest ds until he asks to go to school. It still feels so weird. I was busy the first two weeks, so I didn't catch a break. Today is my first day of doing nothing. It was so odd.

The kiddies are on their way home, now, so I have to do the whole "after-school and bedtime routine," which is quite complicated, LOL. Busy in a different way.