Menu

NME results thread

Dmmetler

My dd got a gold--she was pleased. She answered 50 questions on the test and didn't miss any. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given that she walks around with D'Aulaire's all the time! The only trouble she had was filling in the bubbles--I had to help her with that. :001_smile:

We didn't get around to picking up the mail today! I will have to head to the post office as soon as they open tomorrow (our village doesn't have home delivery, very aggravating at times). This was Ds's first time taking the NME, and he is really hoping for a medal.

The National Mythology Exam, from the American Classical league-kids prepare, take the test, and then get medals based on scores if they score well enough. They can start taking it at 3rd grade, and the number of specialty tests they have to take increases as they get older (but they can do more if they want to do so).

It's a fairly low-stress way to try studying for and taking a formal test. The Exploratory Latin Exam is similar-DD did that one as well, and we're waiting for results on it.

My only suggestion-if you have a contest/exam loving kid, as I do, check the dates and spread them out. DD ended up with the EXPLORE, Exploratory Latin Exam, National Mythology Exam, the last meet for Continental Math League, and Math Kangaroo, all in a space of about 6 weeks, which was tiring for ME, and I wasn't even trying to prep for or take the tests, only to get her to them and to get everything sent back on time!

We finally got our results. I think this is around the same time they have come in the past, but once all of you started posting I got antsy about where ours could be. :laugh: DS got a gold for his first NME, and is totally thrilled. DD missed one, so she got a silver, to add to the bronze and gold she had from the past couple of years. Both are very pleased, and DS already wants to start studying for next year now that he knows there is a section on Norse myths, which he really enjoys.