Menu

How do you use Further Up & Further In? Narnia.....

Murrayshire

I may use this for my soon to be 5th grader.....we purchased the whole Harper Trophy color editions and they are beautiful. Dd really wants to read them as her literature study next year. I was just planning on her reading the ancients books suggested in WTM, SL, and CHOLL but once she saw these books with FUFI, she wants to do that. I still will schedule history readers to go along with our ancients, though. I'm not sure how to schedule FUFI? I noticed that there was vocabulary work, assignment sheets, and crosswords in the book. Looks like she should keep a vocabulary notebook.....Does your child read the assignments out of the book or do you make copies of it for him/her? Thanks in advance!

My plan is to have Ariel read the assignments out of the book, but I will photocopy some of the pages, like the crosswords. I plan to skip the science and most of the history, however. We already have curricula for those. My schedule, which is for 42 weeks (to line up with SOTW), alternates between 2 and 3 chapters a week, so I think DD will have plenty of time to get through the planned activities each week. The pace in the manual is 4 chapters per week with about 6 weeks to "catch up" at the end of the year, if your school year is 36 weeks.

That is what I was wondering....the photocopying of pages. I am trying to figure out how I can make FUFI somewhat independent. I am wondering if I should just give her the book and schedule the assignments down in her planner, copy crossword puzzles for her, and have her jot down vocab words with definition before reading. Now I'm second guessing myself about doing FUFI along with Ancients for the fall (5th grade). Should I just try to plan FUFI while we do Middle Ages?(which would be for 6th grade) Would it go along better with Middle Ages than Ancients study? I could just use CHOLL logic with Ancients and save FUFI for 6th grade.....I need some guidance, can you tell?! Well, I'll have to talk to dd b/c she may be counting on reading these books fairly soon.

I'd go with what your daughter would really prefer. I don't think it needs to be tied to the history, since Narnia is a fictional world and most of the "real world" scenes are set during WWII or a bit before. It does go slightly better with Middle Ages than Ancients, but again, I think the benefits of waiting on a certain historical time period are negligible.