Menu

Does anyone do their planning with their iPad?

I was recently blessed with an iPad and I'm considering doing my planning on it. Right now I'm all paper because our computer is not convenient to the kitchen table where we homeschool. But all the erasing (or the paper and ink if I print it, which I often do) makes me crazy. Favorite apps. Mine are all littles btw, 4 and 5.

I do what little planning I do on the iPad. However, I just use it like I would an old notebook. I write out lists and notes and so forth for planning on Notability and keep folders of them on there. I find it *so* useful to have all these notes all together instead of scattered and getting lost. But I'm not a huge planner.

I use the reminders that come on the ipad all the time. If you log onto your icloud account on the computer, I think it's easier to make different lists. I have one for shopping, one general one for things I don't want to forget, and I also have one linked to my son's account to give him his weekly assignments that he does on his own that he can access from an old iphone we gave him to use as an ipod touch.

I just purchased numbers ($10) spreadsheet app and am going to try to use it for lesson planning. However, I am using my husband's Macbook to set it up initially. It's easier for me to move things around on the computer screen vs. the iPad. But then I save it to the cloud and can pull it up on the ipad during the day to see what I had planned for the day. I lean towards a list method for planning each subject. Meaning I make a continual list of the next lesson for each subject and we just keep moving down the list. If we don't get to one subject that day, no big deal. We just do what's next on the list on the day we do get to it. I do have a loose schedule of how many lessons I'd ideally like to get to in a day. When the list is getting short, I know I need to plan more lessons for that subject.

Not a big planner here, either. I plan a week in advance in Noteshelf on the weekly planner paper and then adjust it later according to what actually got done. I also keep notebooks in Noteshelf for collecting my thoughts on education or on each child, long range planning, etc. There is at least one app specifically homeschooling that I can't recall the name of but it wasn't anything I could make use of.

I do as much as possible with my iPad and rarely touch my desktop anymore. Do you have a keyboard for the iPad? If not, you might want to invest in one; it really makes the iPad function like a small laptop and, for me, makes it just that much more useful. I do have an app that mimics Office, so it can do word processing and spreadsheets; it's called QuickOffice HD. Most often, though, I use the Notability app, and I love that. I'm finishing up my planning for next year, and I made notes with the keyboard and Notability. I also called up a calendar in PDF form and used a stylus, and the various pretty color inks in Notability, to note holidays/vacations/birthdays, weekends, and probable school days. Super easy! I also love that I can annotate any PDF with Notability; this comes in handy for making lesson plans too.

OLLY has an iPad app in development/beta. I Have it on there - but found I liked the desktop version better. The iPad one will stand alone though, and work with the Mac version if you want.

I haven't settled on a planning routine that works for me - i think I could store it on my iPad, but i'm not sure. Right now, I need tangible, paper - but that is more of a personal problem related to going to school myself where everything is online. So school for me is on the computer/ipad, school for DD is paper! LOL!!

I do. I use the Homeschool Helper app. http://www.homeschoolhelperapp.com/. It was 4.99 well spent.

Hey, I was looking at this app, and one of the reviews said they wished it had the ability to do lesson plans. Kinda not really sure what that's about -- can't you plan lessons on it? That seems like the point of it.

If you do put in your lesson plans, then do you just check off that you actually did them, or something? I did see that it lets you bump lessons, so I'm assuming that if, say, you do Lesson 22 of Math but have planned to do Chapter 17 of SOTW on Monday, but you don't get to SOTW, you can tell it that you did the math, while bumping SOTW? But whatever you do, you have some sort of record about what you actually did and can print that if necessary?

Hey, I was looking at this app, and one of the reviews said they wished it had the ability to do lesson plans. Kinda not really sure what that's about -- can't you plan lessons on it? That seems like the point of it.

If you do put in your lesson plans, then do you just check off that you actually did them, or something? I did see that it lets you bump lessons, so I'm assuming that if, say, you do Lesson 22 of Math but have planned to do Chapter 17 of SOTW on Monday, but you don't get to SOTW, you can tell it that you did the math, while bumping SOTW? But whatever you do, you have some sort of record about what you actually did and can print that if necessary?

bump and subbing :lurk5: :laugh:

Yes, I do my planning on it. I'm not sure what that reviewer meant?! All of your subjects are separate, so if you get math done but not SOTW yes you can check math as complete and bump SOTW as many days ahead as you need to, even to Saturday or Sunday if needed. You can copy lessons from one student to another. I find it really easy to work with. Far easier than Homeschool Skedtrack was when I used it.

Yes, I do my planning on it. I'm not sure what that reviewer meant?! All of your subjects are separate, so if you get math done but not SOTW yes you can check math as complete and bump SOTW as many days ahead as you need to, even to Saturday or Sunday if needed. You can copy lessons from one student to another. I find it really easy to work with. Far easier than Homeschool Skedtrack was when I used it.

Thank you! It does sound really good, and for $5, I think it's worth a shot. :)

I'm using this app -- I kinda get what the reviewer is saying -- I do some preplanning on paper for many subjects before entering it into the app. For stuff that's homeschool curriculum (i.e. spectrum chemistry is laid out for parent already), it's pretty easy to get my plans in without the paper step. For stuff I'm rolling on my own, it makes more sense to get the general outline on paper before entering details into the app, because it's harder to shuffle around once it's in there.

If you are a former teacher, "lesson plans" are something different than if you are a homeschooler. All you get with the app is a "notes" section, where you can enter whatever you want. If you are looking for detailed education major stuff (lesson objectives, rubrics, etc.) there are no specific spaces for that stuff, just the general "notes" section.

I'm using this app -- I kinda get what the reviewer is saying -- I do some preplanning on paper for many subjects before entering it into the app. For stuff that's homeschool curriculum (i.e. spectrum chemistry is laid out for parent already), it's pretty easy to get my plans in without the paper step. For stuff I'm rolling on my own, it makes more sense to get the general outline on paper before entering details into the app, because it's harder to shuffle around once it's in there.

If you are a former teacher, "lesson plans" are something different than if you are a homeschooler. All you get with the app is a "notes" section, where you can enter whatever you want. If you are looking for detailed education major stuff (lesson objectives, rubrics, etc.) there are no specific spaces for that stuff, just the general "notes" section.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. For things that require more than just "do the next lesson," it sounds like I'll want to have those on paper separately, which is what I do anyway. I downloaded the app and am anxious to give it a try!