Menu

Homeschool High School Biology

Has anyone actually downloaded and used all of the EO Wilson book? I have had difficulty with the first chapter.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to download the first book. If you look in the ibook "comments" section, I'm not the only one who had this trouble. Is your difficulty getting the book or using it?

• Like 1

What trouble did you have? I downloaded the second book and have looked all the way through it, but not read all the text. I can try the first one. I'm not sure how big the files are, and didn't want to use up too much space on my iPad by downloading all at once. It seems all the multimedia features could make for some large files.

I tried it on an Ipad (first book) but all I got was an error.

Has anyone actually downloaded and used all of the EO Wilson book? I have had difficulty with the first chapter.

I have downloaded (from iTunes) and used all 7 books, use them a lot. I am using an iPad Air, the first Air, with 128 GB and up to date iOS, and cable internet. Haven't had any problems. I wonder if there are any space constraints? The books have embedded videos and animations.

I do remember the original download was slow, because I did all the books at once. But most big books, like Miller Levine, take a while.

I have downloaded (from iTunes) and used all 7 books, use them a lot. I am using an iPad Air, the first Air, with 128 GB and up to date iOS, and cable internet. Haven't had any problems. I wonder if there are any space constraints? The books have embedded videos and animations.

I do remember the original download was slow, because I did all the books at once. But most big books, like Miller Levine, take a while.

I've downloaded and used the other books - not all at once- only had problems with the first. To be honest, we ended up going with Biozone NGSS since DC will probably do Biology again later.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so confused, lol.  I was really considering the "Science for High School" biology course.  Then I looked at the link for lab materials from the Home Scientist.  The lab supplies for the Science for High School looks more like prep work to become a butcher.  Using CK12 just seems like such a hassle (I've been unable to really use any of the materials thus far).  Has anyone really used the Science for High School program, and offer some input?

I'm so confused, lol. I was really considering the "Science for High School" biology course. Then I looked at the link for lab materials from the Home Scientist. The lab supplies for the Science for High School looks more like prep work to become a butcher. Using CK12 just seems like such a hassle (I've been unable to really use any of the materials thus far). Has anyone really used the Science for High School program, and offer some input?

Can you link it?

Cross posting - realized these resources were not posted on this list, or maybe they were at one time and I can't find them here now. This is what dd will be doing this fall. In the past with other dc I have used Oak Meadow (Holt), and Miller Levine (McCaw).

Biology Corner (free, self-paced, secular, uses older Miller-Levine Dragonfly book) - We will be doing the regular biology class (1, 2) with honors (the 1A & 2A activities). They also have a separate AP Bio Class for those interested. See links along the left side of page:

http://www.biologycorner.com/

Although the Biology Corner has labs incorporated into the course I could not resist getting the Experiences in Biology ebook & accompanying databook from Homeschool Science Press:

https://www.homeschoolsciencepress.com/shop

We already have a ton of lab equipment but plan on picking up what we need from Home Training Tools:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/

I love the way the courses are designed on Biology Corner - self-paced, with printable worksheets and frequent self-quizzes that are automatically graded. If the regular bio class works well, dd can take the AP bio course later on.

• Like 5

I've downloaded and used the other books - not all at once- only had problems with the first. To be honest, we ended up going with Biozone NGSS since DC will probably do Biology again later.

That is puzzling. I just double checked and the first book works fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

That is puzzling. I just double checked and the first book works fine for me.

If you have a 16 GB iPad, don't try to download the EO Wilson book. I had wipe out everything on my iPad to get it to download so I could delete it. It is a very cool book, but it's a huge file.

http://www.scienceforhighschool.com/shop/a4-high-school-biology-in-your-home-total-package/

It has specimens to dissect, but looking at the other stuff, it seems to focus more on cells and bacteria.  I would thing (no science backround here) that the cells and bacteria would be of higher importance.

I'm not an expert, but I agree. It doesn't look great for the cost.

• 1 month later...

I have no first hand experience with it, but this plan of study looks appealing to me:

High School Biology with Living Books by Jamie McMillin. The resources used are listed here.

Regards,

Kareni

Updated link for this.  And another living books for biology plan from Barb Mccoy, who is a great nature study blogger.  

Edited by ColleenInWis
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Biology Corner (free, self-paced, secular, uses older Miller-Levine Dragonfly book) - We will be doing the regular biology class (1, 2) with honors (the 1A & 2A activities). They also have a separate AP Bio Class for those interested. See links along the left side of page:

http://www.biologycorner.com/

I saw your recommendation of Biology Corner. I have been looking at it, and it looks really interesting, but I am having a very hard time understanding how to use the site. I don't really see how the 1 and 1A are differentiated or where there is a schedule to help pace the student. Would you mind giving me a brief overview of how your daughter is working through the site?

Thanks so much!

Has anyone used either of Thinkwell's Biology courses? Can you tell me your thoughts about the course? And did you do a lab of your own with it? Many choices for Biology on this incredible list, but not sure how to choose the right one for my son.

Thanks!

Has anyone used either of Thinkwell's Biology courses? Can you tell me your thoughts about the course? And did you do a lab of your own with it? Many choices for Biology on this incredible list, but not sure how to choose the right one for my son.

Thanks!

We've used Thinkwell math for years so decided to give biology a try. My daughter was not happy at all. She found it really dry.  The format that works well for her in math ( lecture / demo) didn't hold quite the same appeal with the biology. Also, while the teacher seemed friendly he didn't have the same engaging manner as Mr Burger does with math.  We switched to Otter's High School Biology by Guest Hollow. She was much happier.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember if Winogradsky Columns are suggested upthread as a biology experiment.  

Here is a nice set of directions:  http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/winogradsky-columns-microbial-ecology-classroom

The same site also has some other interactive material, including virtual labs.  http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive

The site is free.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gatorgalmom

Hi! I'm trying to decide whether to switch Biology curriculum from Apologia (which I used with older DD) for my 9th grade DD.  I see on the boards that DIVE (using Apologia) and Oak Meadow (using Holt) are both on the honors list, even though Apologia and Holt are not.  Can someone explain this for me?

Thanks!

:-) Kristi 

Hi! I'm trying to decide whether to switch Biology curriculum from Apologia (which I used with older DD) for my 9th grade DD.  I see on the boards that DIVE (using Apologia) and Oak Meadow (using Holt) are both on the honors list, even though Apologia and Holt are not.  Can someone explain this for me?

AP is very narrowly defined by the AP syllabus, but "honors" can be pretty broad. Any textbook can become an honors text, depending on what projects/labs/supplements you add. Apparently, these syllabi were considered rigorous by the people who suggested them for the list?

• Like 1

If you have a 16 GB iPad, don't try to download the EO Wilson book. I had wipe out everything on my iPad to get it to download so I could delete it. It is a very cool book, but it's a huge file.

Oh, right….

I have 128 GB. It got stuck when I downloaded a slew of apps from Touch Press during their recent sale. I got rid of a bunch of stupid games that I never use and have them backed up on my computer. I have several hundred pas, a slew of Miller Levine length iBooks, and a big Kindle file. But even 128 GB does hold everything, lol.

So, maybe doing one EO Wilson book at a time, backing it up to a hard drive, and so on might work?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, right….

I have 128 GB. It got stuck when I downloaded a slew of apps from Touch Press during their recent sale. I got rid of a bunch of stupid games that I never use and have them backed up on my computer. I have several hundred pas, a slew of Miller Levine length iBooks, and a big Kindle file. But even 128 GB does hold everything, lol.

So, maybe doing one EO Wilson book at a time, backing it up to a hard drive, and so on might work?

You can download and use one section/book at a time - probably the best way to deal with storage issues. You can also download to a computer. I have two volumes on a 16Gb iPad mini currently. I delete the volume we finish as we go and have the next ready to put on the device

You can download and use one section/book at a time - probably the best way to deal with storage issues. You can also download to a computer. I have two volumes on a 16Gb iPad mini currently. I delete the volume we finish as we go and have the next ready to put on the device

You are very disciplined!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a biology resource similar to Georgia Public Broadcasting high school classes for chemistry and physics (http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics/students/all)?  I used the GPB physics class last year (which includes weekly lectures, homework assignments, and labs) and was really happy with that resource.  I'd love to find something similar for biology for my weekly co-op class.  Having lectures to view during the week allows me to teach the class flipped, so that our precious weekly meeting time is focused on labs and collaborative experiences.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Dee

Edited by dachapman

Does anyone know if there is a biology resource similar to Georgia Public Broadcasting high school classes for chemistry and physics (http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics/students/all)?  I used the GPB physics class last year (which includes weekly lectures, homework assignments, and labs) and was really happy with that resource.  I'd love to find something similar for biology for my weekly co-op class.  Having lectures to view during the week allows me to teach the class flipped, so that our precious weekly meeting time is focused on labs and collaborative experiences.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Dee

MrDBioCFC YouTube channel would be a good video supplement for Miller-Levine homeworks and labs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know of a schedule or pacing guide for CK12 Biology?

We decided to use CK12 biology this year for my 16 year-old daughter.  So far, so good.  So much better than Apologia that we used for some of the older siblings...  more interesting, more detailed, more colorful.  Good explanations and graphics, including videos, though we don't watch them all.  The workbook is decent, and there is a separate test pdf which we haven't used.  Early in this thread (p. 1) is a link to "Otter's biology," which is one mother's adaptation of CK12 biology complete with schedule, experiments, online resources and supplemental readings. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello- can someone enlighten me for fall 2018 9th grade biology ? I’m beginning to research our options. Is the Apologia Biology I course one that meets requirements for accreditation of transcripts? I was told by a friend that it doesn’t meet requirements. Could it be used but supplemented with other labs/materials to meet accreditation requirements?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Could I add two more biology classes to the list here?

Names: Biology and Honors Biology
Provider: Blue Tent Online
Where to buy: Blue Tent Online
Level: Regular and Honors (two separate classes with different curricula)
Type: Online provider; asynchronous format with Moodle LMS classroom
Additional Materials: Biology information and resources; Honors Biology information and resources; Blue Tent OnLoan
Teacher Resources: N/A
Lesson Plans: N/A
Secular/Christian: Secular
Program includes labs: Yes: hands-on and virtual
Lab kit available: Yes: offered by instructor

Edited by Brigid in NC
Edited to add second Biology class
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ideas for supplements:

Bought this when it was on sale on Audible: The Soul of an Octopus I'm <30 minutes in and am already enamored with Athena. 

On my Audible wish list: What It's Like to Be a Dog

A favorite: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks Warning: some adult language and themes. Please, I beg you, do NOT watch the Oprah movie on this book. She did *NOT* do Deborah justice! No. Just no! Read the book (or listen to it) first, then look up the doc mentioned in the book. 

I reserve the right add more as I encounter them. Guest Hollow taught me about the HeLa book. The rest I've seen on Audible when I check the deal of the day. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I’m looking for a second opinion:

An experienced mom at our co-op told me that the Apologia science books are so advanced that unless my child wants an honors course or to pursue a career in science, she suggests using the middle school book as High School Biology I and the High School book as Biology II. 

thoughts?

• Like 1