Menu

Galore Park has been sold

Do you know anything about their books, if they will continue to be published? I mean the current ones.

I had no idea it was such a small publisher!

As far as I know, Hodder bought GP to profit from its success, so I would expect that at least the most popular books would continue. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the less popular were dropped over time.

This is the story of how GP started.

Laura

I wonder if this will affect the current curric. I'm specifically thinking of the SYRWTL series of books. Like Wendy I'm feeling the need to stock up :D

I think the Latin books are likely to be safe - they are the mainstays of the list. I would be more worried about Greek, as I suspect the sales are tiny.

Laura

I think the Latin books are likely to be safe - they are the mainstays of the list. I would be more worried about Greek, as I suspect the sales are tiny.

Laura

Good point and you're probably correct on that score if the article you linked is any indication. The Latin books are where he got his start. I'm wondering about the French books.

Good point and you're probably correct on that score if the article you linked is any indication. The Latin books are where he got his start. I'm wondering about the French books.

French is a central subject in the British private school curriculum. I think that this is probably fairly safe, at least in the short term.

Laura

Laura

They didn't exactly do a good job publishing their elementary Greek materials in a timely fashion. It's no wonder their sales might be scant.

And why in the world did they re-publish the absolute rubbish of "history" books by HE Marshall?

They have imagery in an elementary science book that I was considering that I found racially offensive. I'm not so sure a change at the top might not be a good thing. Being quirky is more charming when you deliver promised materials in the right decade, and you don't make terrible gaffs of judgement. Hopefully the new management will bring a higher level of professionalism to the publishing business at Galore Park.

Bill

They didn't exactly do a good job publishing their elementary Greek materials in a timely fashion. It's no wonder their sales might be scant.

I think that the problem with Greek came from the other end. Precisely because very few people in their core market (British private schools) study Greek, the Greek project never received full attention. The low sales are a symptom of the same issue: a small market.

Laura

I think that the problem with Greek came from the other end. Precisely because very few people in their core market (British private schools) study Greek, the Greek project never received full attention. The low sales are a symptom of the same issue: a small market.

Laura

But Laura, it took them about 8 years (after it was announced) for them to publish an elementary Attic Greek book. And what they finally delivered is not the equivalent of a Latin Prep/So You Really Want to Learn Latin multi-level course where one could get their feet wet in the late elementary school age (or even earlier for accelerated learners).

Instead we got a very intensive program that looked (to my admittedly brief review) to resemble a college or very advanced high school program that would overwhelm most people who lack a master teacher. I was/am very disappointed in what they offered after the very long wait.

They had the opportunity to create a paradIgm shift in classical Greek educational materials, but did not deliver. How great would have been if they gave us "Greek Prep"?

Bill

But Laura, it took them about 8 years (after it was announced) for them to publish an elementary Attic Greek book. And what they finally delivered is not the equivalent of a Latin Prep/So You Really Want to Learn Latin multi-level course where one could get their feet wet in the late elementary school age (or even earlier for accelerated learners).

Oh, I agree with you. But I think that there was strong demand for other products, the company was small, maybe there was some problem with the original author - illness? - and it was never the highest priority.

FWIW, Hobbes did the previous Greek book, from which the current one derived, in one year at about age 10. You might want to have another look at the new book...

Laura

Oh, I agree with you. But I think that there was strong demand for other products, the company was small, maybe there was some problem with the original author - illness? - and it was never the highest priority.

FWIW, Hobbes did the previous Greek book, from which the current one derived, in one year at about age 10. You might want to have another look at the new book...

Laura

Which makes for a chicken/egg type scenario. A publisher won't sell materials (in this case Greek) when they don't publish sorely needed courses that will advance study of that discipline.

My hope, and perhaps I'm falsely optimistic, is that a larger publishing house won't be constrained by being so small.

I will re-visit the Greek book. When I took a first look it seemed way too advanced for a younger child. I was really hoping for "Greek Prep."

Bill

Which makes for a chicken/egg type scenario. A publisher won't sell materials (in this case Greek) when they don't publish sorely needed courses that will advance study of that discipline.

My hope, and perhaps I'm falsely optimistic, is that a larger publishing house won't be constrained by being so small.

I will re-visit the Greek book. When I took a first look it seemed way too advanced for a younger child. I was really hoping for "Greek Prep."

Bill

I just had a look at the sample chapter for the new book, and it seems to me that it is identical to the previous text.

Back to the sale: the thing is that home educators are a very subsidiary market for Galore Park. We're the gravy and the private schools are the meat.

My sons' private school has very full timetables, including (in Hobbes' year) the opportunity to try out three modern languages as well as Latin, full-year study of three separate sciences, art, drama, English, maths, music, RE, social education, PE, Games.....

Greek - in their school and I suspect more commonly - is often a minority club subject, rather than a lesson subject. Hobbes is learning Greek with the head of classics, because they are both interested in having fun with it one-on-one at lunchtime. It's not on the timetable - the head of classics would love to offer it, but there's just not space. I would be very surprised if any state (government-sponsored) school taught Greek at all.

Laura

I just had a look at the sample chapter for the new book, and it seems to me that it is identical to the previous text.

I hate to be a wet-blanket, but it is all the worse to wait 8 years for an announced new Attic Greek program aimed at kids, only to hear the "new" book is the same as the old book.

Sorry to be a curmudgeon.

Back to the sale: the thing is that home educators are a very subsidiary market for Galore Park. We're the gravy and the private schools are the meat.

My sons' private school has very full timetables, including (in Hobbes' year) the opportunity to try out three modern languages as well as Latin, full-year study of three separate sciences, art, drama, English, maths, music, RE, social education, PE, Games.....

Greek - in their school and I suspect more commonly - is often a minority club subject, rather than a lesson subject. Hobbes is learning Greek with the head of classics, because they are both interested in having fun with it one-on-one at lunchtime. It's not on the timetable - the head of classics would love to offer it, but there's just not space. I would be very surprised if any state (government-sponsored) school taught Greek at all.

Laura

I get it. But the hope one can have of a small specialty house is that they provide materials (like Attic Greek for younger students) that no one else does. My son was an infant when I first got my hopes up about a GP Attic Greek Prep. He will turn 9 this summer, and am disappointed.

Bill

How do you think the Junior Science will make out in the buy-out?

As a guess: okay. I think the SY Science is probably safer, as (a guess again) schools are more likely to want a structured course for older children. But the younger science might be okay too.

L

Can one order any Galore Park from Ray, or only the ones listed?

I think he orders batches from GP, so he can get anything if you are prepared to wait. The alternative is bookdepository.co.uk, which has free shipping to many countries including N. America.

Laura

I think he orders batches from GP, so he can get anything if you are prepared to wait. The alternative is bookdepository.co.uk, which has free shipping to many countries including N. America.

Laura

Thanks, I have ordered several GP books from various sources but never Horrible Books/Ray, so I was just curious about that.

Argh!!

I was just looking at their French.

*bangs head on desk at the lack of longivity in quality home school providers*

I think French should be pretty safe: I would think it was in the core private school curriculum for that age group.

Laura