Menu

Knowing thyself versus overthinking things?

I.Dup.

I'll take the quiz later. I'm positive at one time I would have qualified as aspergers. Now, I'm not sure.

regular physicians don't make these evaluations - it requires a team including developmental and psychological who specialize in this area to get a thorough eval.

anyhow - my son was officially diagnosed by a multi-disciplinary team at our local medical school's child development unit. I've learned so much since then. there are *at least* three different genetic mutations, plus virus and bacterium which are linked to asd. One researcher in spain found a raised t-cell count that led to much higher levels of histamine. (he's had good luck with mega doses of antihistamines) what helps varies according to the cause.

If you want help, my suggestion (especially as an adult), is to see a naturopath who specializes in this area. a ND will take a good look at your vitamin/enzyme/neurotransmitter/aminoacid/etc levels. sometimes dietary changes can make a huge difference. (yeast overgrowth in the gut can cause alot of problems, and is treatable.) my son absolutely cannot have nitrates/nitrites. (I figured that out before I started taking him). again, what helps varies according to cause. two of my sons have been tested for one of the mutations, and treating the biochemical weaknesses it caused is bringing very positive results.

I've seen huge, huge, strides in my son since starting alternative treatment for him, (which really po'd my allopathic providers. the allopathic providers weren't doing squat to help.)

This is what we've done as well.

That is one of the greatest burdens I have to deal with

You might find some comfort in learning how to combat scrupulosity. It includes giving yourself permission to make mistakes. Of course, you'll need to recognize that behaviors are often mistakes, even if others call them "sin."

I'm glad you found my comments helpful.

:)

You should see the personality tests that the nuns I know have to take before they're accepted into the novitiate. Yes, there's prayer and asking God for direction, but there's also reason. They also take different ones, so that they learn about themselves better, and with that, they can discern their vocation.

That's interesting -- I didn't know they had to do all that, although when I think about it, it definitely makes sense.

You might find some comfort in learning how to combat scrupulosity. It includes giving yourself permission to make mistakes. Of course, you'll need to recognize that behaviors are often mistakes, even if others call them "sin."

I'm glad you found my comments helpful.

:)

I am so scrupulous! Even moreso now that we are Catholic, LOL! No really, being Catholic has enhanced my life in so many ways, but it's a struggle to stay balanced with my scruples.

I just read a snippet in one of Temple Grandin's books that high-functioning Asperger's tend to have increasing anxiety as they get older, and often need medication (she said "stay so drugged") just to function. I'm not sure if my anxiety is getting worse but I have definitely needed meds to function normally (or more normally :) ) Has any of the rest of you that relate to these symptoms struggled with increasing anxiety, and how do you deal with that? I would like to find more coping mechanisms, that is one thing I have been working on, even before I found out all of my 'issues' may have an actual name.

Goodness! I scored a 122/200 on the first quiz and a 31 on the second. My first thought was huh, well, OK. Then I read the traits in that chart and was blown away. Well over 90% of those traits perfectly describe me. I literally could hear several synapses connecting as parts of life suddenly made a lot more sense.

I agree with Tibbie - having this information earlier in my life would not have been a good thing *for me*. Now that I'm over 40 I can look at this information with a much more dispassionate eye.

I.Dup, I think Albeto is right; your RC friends have made an incorrect assumption about the root of your introspection more than likely based on their poor catechesis. The mere fact that you're worried about being narcassistic or selfish means that more than likely you are not. Your kids are lucky to have you as their mom!

My Aspie score was 126 on the first quiz and I got 32 on the second quiz. I'm kinda shocked. Not because I didn't know that I'm a social misfit or that the world around me seems to think I'm either a freak or a genius or both, but I just had never looked at it from that perspective.

The chart looked like someone had made a chart about me. Or at least someone similar to me. Not all of them matched up, but a pretty large percentage of them did. It's kinda disconcerting.

My Aspie score was 126 on the first quiz and I got 32 on the second quiz. I'm kinda shocked. Not because I didn't know that I'm a social misfit or that the world around me seems to think I'm either a freak or a genius or both, but I just had never looked at it from that perspective.

The chart looked like someone had made a chart about me. Or at least someone similar to me. Not all of them matched up, but a pretty large percentage of them did. It's kinda disconcerting.

Right?? You and I got almost identical scores, and it was shocking for me as well. I never in a million years would have guessed I would fit into so many Aspie tendencies. But wow. Still not sure what to think! It definitely would explain a LOT.

Right?? You and I got almost identical scores, and it was shocking for me as well. I never in a million years would have guessed I would fit into so many Aspie tendencies. But wow. Still not sure what to think! It definitely would explain a LOT.

I completely understand the stunned feeling. I'm not sure if this information should mean anything to me, or if it changes anything for me. It just is leaving me a little shocked. It would really explain a lot for me too.

So...what should one do with such out of the blue, shocking information such as this? If I say anything about it to most of the people around me here I'll get shot down as quickly as you did. Should one just shrug it off and walk away (which I am terrible at walking away from anything that's caught my attention).

I completely understand the stunned feeling. I'm not sure if this information should mean anything to me, or if it changes anything for me. It just is leaving me a little shocked. It would really explain a lot for me too.

So...what should one do with such out of the blue, shocking information such as this? If I say anything about it to most of the people around me here I'll get shot down as quickly as you did. Should one just shrug it off and walk away (which I am terrible at walking away from anything that's caught my attention).

I'm not sure. I am still processing this. It does help me understand a lot more of why I have struggled with things I have struggled with, and also helps me understand certain children of mine...all this time I thought my son got his quirky qualities from his dad, now it seems they may have come more from me! In actuality, I have worked so hard to develop certain coping mechanisms (subconsciously) that I thought I couldn't understand my child's struggles when in actuality, I am so similar to him (obvious ASD IMO) without the coping mechanisms. Maybe I was scared to look at it and accept it or something. I'm not sure.

I have been thinking about this a lot. I never would have thought I had Asperger's. I can talk to people, I can look people in the eye, I can stand being touched, etc.

This part of your OP made me chuckle. When ds was being tested, the psychologist *totally* got him. Ds is really charming to adults for some reason, but awkward with most of his peers. This doctor just enjoyed testing him and noted that ds is a 'Pied Piper'. Kids are drawn to him, but unfortunately ds gets all rambley and dictator-y and they wander off :glare: . He also likes really hard hugs :).

In any event, one of the other therapists came in to talk to me after doing some sort of speech test with ds. Ds came right over to me and told me quietly that he needed to use the restroom. I could tell that he was embarrassed and probably needed to go for a while. His eyes were darting and the therapist *jumped* on this as soon as he left the room. She looked at me so excitedly and exclaimed, "Does he always have so much trouble making eye contact?!" I looked at her and said, "No, he had to pee." The psychologist just roared!

:grouphug: You could be somewhere on the spectrum. No harm in that, especially if you feel better and it helps you understand and relate better. My ds is the most honest and real person I've ever met. That's a good thing.

Oh, and my results:

Your Aspie score: 63 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 143 of 200

You are very likely neurotypical

I just read a snippet in one of Temple Grandin's books that high-functioning Asperger's tend to have increasing anxiety as they get older, and often need medication (she said "stay so drugged") just to function. I'm not sure if my anxiety is getting worse but I have definitely needed meds to function normally (or more normally :) ) Has any of the rest of you that relate to these symptoms struggled with increasing anxiety, and how do you deal with that? I would like to find more coping mechanisms, that is one thing I have been working on, even before I found out all of my 'issues' may have an actual name.

years ago, when I was under alot of stress - I started mega b vitamin complex. For years I only noticed a difference if I didn't take it - then I was worse. recently I found a brand I *really* like because they use the molecular forms your body actually uses, and for the first time with a change in vitamins I felt improvement. I've also learned from the ND I take my son to and so I pay more attention to the supplements I take. I did start 5htp in nov and feel much much better - but I'm not sure if that's I'm getting older-asd anxiety getting worse, or menopausal. i likely have the mutation two of my sons have tested positive for, and one thing it adversely affects is serotonin and dopamine levels so they tend to be lower than "normal" people.

I also started doing yoga, just a few times would bring a big difference - especially before my son was diagnosed/started treament and was really stressful. (recently, have been very consistent and am having many benefits). yoga is one of those exercises that crosses the midline and helps to integrate the nervous system. (swimming, biking, horseback riding, martial arts are some others). yoga also reduces stress and anxiety.

also make sure you get enough vitamin d3. people don't get enough - between sunblock and showering daily we don't absorb it from our skin. vit d3 can have a big affect upon mood.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. In fact, scrupulosity can escalate until you feel paralyzed or fall over the edge into grace. That's what happened to me a couple of years ago. Life with grace is such a relief.

I got 133 on the first test, but a 23 on the second. I am imaginative, and suffering from cabin fever, which likely skewed the results. ;)

I have had a bunch of insights in the last few years that have helped me understand my life as a square peg, and the "girl with aspergers" lists were one of those insightful things. Aspergirls was a good book I read from the library - also Pretending to be Normal is good.

Some of the quizzes and things are hard to answer because I think one of my "obsessions" has been studying people and how they treat one another/react, so I know quite a bit about how to behave, it just isn't NATURAL for me (which is something I didn't realize it was for other people...).

Anyways, I have found that stumbling upon the idea that the label might describe me has been helpful for me in understanding a bit of who I am. I don't go around telling people, and I don't go around worrying about it, I just use the information I find that is helpful. I do the same with stuff about introverts. I can't believe how much learning about being an introvert has helped me to feel more comfortable in my own skin.

HTH

OP, I know why you would like to know. Totally understandable. In fact, I would bet a lot of us on message boards are somewhat atypical. Many of us have limited social interaction IRL because of our habits/interests or because we are isolated geographically. So I think you're more likely to find people who communicate better on-line than IRL, so know you're not alone! And knowing can be helpful. Getting diagnosed in a few things has allowed me to be easier on myself about some of my weirdness and dh knows not to continuously bring it up, because I really can't help it.

I know that it doesn't "really" matter, but I know I have (diagnosed) ADD, OCD, and Anxiety. But I worked in Special Ed with severe/profound kids and then later read more about Asperger's when trying to figure out dd's issues (still can't figure it out, doctors want to wait more before testing? because of possible developmental delays from her medical condition). And I will say I fit the criteria for Asperger's almost entirely. But I have gotten pretty darn good at faking it. Coping mechanisms I've only figured out the last few years so I can now make small talk without having an anxiety attack or saying something really stupid or inappropriate 90% of the time, etc. I have good hygiene, but I am a fashion disaster.

Awkward is my middle name. I am a social failure and so dang hypersensitive to perceived criticism that I just avoid anything that might bring that about or go guns a blazin' and burn bridges. If I smile at someone I know in passing and they don't look at me, or look away, I will go over it in my head for days thinking they hate me or I did something wrong. And I really don't like most people. They are mean or want to get too close-physically. Even dh knows not to touch me unless I touch first or I pull away like a hurt dog. In a small town like this, everyone wants to make small talk, smile and wave, shake hands, or stand close and it gives me panic attacks. My mother was a very Type A extrovert and my quirks drove her nuts. I am deeply introverted and she would get very angry at things like me doing what might amount to tics, in public. Scratching myself, dh says that I do this funny hand thing and then if he brings it up, apparently I click my nails or something. But dealing with my Mom's reaction to it and dh's constant reminders, I don't do it as much anymore, but I am either extremely fidgety, or if nervous I sit as still as a scared rabbit.

Which is to say, I'm weird, but I don't necessarily think I have Asperger's. I think I'm pretty empathetic. More towards animals (I cry when I see roadkill, even), but I do want people to not hurt. It hurts me to see someone else obviously hurt. I have a weakness to giving gifts to people I think are in pain, because I feel weird hugging and stuff and tend to laugh when I'm stressed, but I really don't want people to hurt. On the other hand, I really don't care at all about some adults.

Your Aspie score: 162 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie