Menu

Phonics and vocab help or an older child.

Quiver0f10

We are just a few minutes into standardized testing and it's obvious that my 10 year old needs phonics review and vocab knowledge. We have used SWR in the past and are using LOE right now. She does ok with it, but she is having difficulty sounding out the multi-syllable words on her test. Vocab is a bust. What do you recommend?

For multi-syllable words, the syllable division rules and exercises on my how to tutor page and Webster's Speller. For combining spelling and some vocab with some phonics and word root study, my favorite is Marcia Henry's Words.

The McGuffey readers are good for building up vocab and reading skills, the 1879 series (blue and orange.) They are free online from Gutenberg in pdf format so you can see if you'll like them or not. The difficult words are diacritically marked, and in the 4th reader and up, maybe 3rd reader up, are also defined. I start out my students reading the vocab words with definitions before and after the selection and then see if they can retain the vocab if they just read them after the selection.