Menu

WHAT did I do to my back....

ok...I was doing my stretches after my workout at the YMCA this evening...same thing I do every day.... I was sitting with my legs spread apart and stretching over my right leg when all of a sudden I felt a 'pop' in the vicinity of my tailbone and a massive stabbing pain shot up my spine. I slowly laid down until the surge of nausea passed and then....because I am the type of person that could fall out of a building and, if anyone was watching, and provided I wasn't unconscious, I would jump up, dust myself off, and promptly drive myself to the hospital. LOL Call it pride or stupidity or whatever, but I don't like to let people know when I am injured. So, ANYHOW, I slowly got off the mat and picked my kids up from the childwatch and drove myself home....I even made it up the stairs. WOOT! Luckily I had started dinner before we left so I just had to serve it up to the kiddos and have since then been sitting here in total agony with ice on my back. But, seriously, I have never "thrown my back out"....is that what this is? My dh offered to come home from work early so I could go to the urgent care clinic....but I told him not to bother....can they really do anything for me? I know they can give me drugs to help with the pain...but that's about it, isn't it? Dh should be home around 1am.... if it is still this bad then...I will probably go to the ER for meds...but I hope it doesn't come to that.... so, has anyone had something that sounds like this? If so, what did it turn out to be...how long did the pain last...what was the cure....etc. LOL

Oh Honey, I'm sorry! I don't have a cure, otherwise you'd be better right now. But I will very carefully give you some :grouphug:! I will pray for you too. And I would suggest you get it checked out too. They may do x-rays. At least I'd have them do x-rays, just to be safe, and since you're there, and since the spine is nothing to be messing around with!

Let us know what happens!!!

It sounds to me like you put your back out - you need to see a chiropractor if you can! I had that exact thing happen to me when lifting a bag of mulch one time and it was not fun.

Ice is good and ibuprofen will help with the pain. Try to stay off your feet as much as you can. I know that's a tall order with a 3yo, LOL!

I'm so sorry, kitty! I hope you feel better SOON!

You do probably need to get this checked out--at least rule out major issues that require medical treatment. In the meantime, ice is good--it reduces inflammation and also relieves pain. In between icing treatments, I suggest that you either get in a hot bath or get in the shower, turn the jet on full-stream, and let the hot water massage the area that is hurting.

When I messed up my back, here's a test the orthopedist did with me--sit on the edge of a chair, and raise one leg up toward you with the knee bent. Do that on both sides, one leg at a time. As I recall (it's been about 12 years), the doctor indicated that significant pain when raising the leg with knee bent can indicate a disc problem.

Unless you are on other medicine that rules out the use of ibuprofen, I would take 600 mg. or so of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for a few days to help with the pain and inflammation.

Let us know how you are doing, okay?:)

I'm so sorry you're in pain! Do get a doctor/chiropractor to check it out if the pain doesn't let up very soon! Back problems are simply awful! :grouphug:

OH, I"m so sorry! When my back goes out (too many years riding hunter/jumpers) the most comfortable chair in the house is my wooden rocking chair. Do you have one you can try? Ice pack, tv remote, lots of Advil and copious amounts of sympathy from your family. Oh. And M&M's. Within easy reach. :001_smile:

Hugs, (gentle ones!) :grouphug:

Astrid

You do probably need to get this checked out--at least rule out major issues that require medical treatment. In the meantime, ice is good--it reduces inflammation and also relieves pain. In between icing treatments, I suggest that you either get in a hot bath or get in the shower, turn the jet on full-stream, and let the hot water massage the area that is hurting.

When I messed up my back, here's a test the orthopedist did with me--sit on the edge of a chair, and raise one leg up toward you with the knee bent. Do that on both sides, one leg at a time. As I recall (it's been about 12 years), the doctor indicated that significant pain when raising the leg with knee bent can indicate a disc problem.

Unless you are on other medicine that rules out the use of ibuprofen, I would take 600 mg. or so of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for a few days to help with the pain and inflammation.

Let us know how you are doing, okay?:)

I'm so sorry you're in pain! Do get a doctor/chiropractor to check it out if the pain doesn't let up very soon! Back problems are simply awful! :grouphug:

I did the test...and I could lift my right leg with very little pain...but my left leg gave me a stabbing pain. I sure hope it isn't a disc. UGH! And this would have to happen on a Friday...isn't that always the way?:glare: My chiropractor doesn't have weekend hours...bleh.

I will go to the urgent care tomorrow morning and get x-rays or whatever....THANK YOU ALL for the sympathy...sometimes it is nice to just have someone feeling sorry for you...:lol:

I went to urgent care this morning and he said he didn't think it was in the disc....he gave me a 'script for painkillers and said it would probably take a week to recover...bleh. So, I will go to my chiropractor on Monday and see what he says....waiting for dh to return with my pain meds so I can (hopefully) get some rest....lastnight was rough.:glare:

HATE to do this, but I don't have time to read the other posts (gotta get up the nappers)--so I might be repeating! I recently (New Year's Eve, to be specific) blew out my back. I kept thinking, well, this'll get better in a day or so. Ten days later, I couldn't walk. I finally ended up in physical therapy when the toes of my right foot went numb. ACK! Turns out it was a couple of bulging discs, which, if you're not in HORRENDOUS agony, could be what happened to you.

The PT was amazing and was able to diagnose which discs were affected by which of my toes were numb (because of the ennervation, etc?). I had to do exercises to essentially push the discs back into place and then allow scar tissue to form. Her feeling was that I had injured this earlier just being Mommy: changing a diaper on a surface that was too low, for example. Over time, the disc had slow torn through more and more of that little protective thingamabob around it until...BOOM! OUCH!

One interesting tidbit: She told me that as long as any residual or occasional pain remained "centralized," i.e., in the spinal column, I was, generally speaking, OK (counterintuitive, no?). It's when I had peripheral pain that I was to head back to her office, because that's the sign that a disc is bulging again and impinging on nerves.

Do what seems best to you, but IMHO, you ought to RUN, not walk, to a good PT. They're incredible.

Good luck! I'm hurting for you....

HATE to do this, but I don't have time to read the other posts (gotta get up the nappers)--so I might be repeating! I recently (New Year's Eve, to be specific) blew out my back. I kept thinking, well, this'll get better in a day or so. Ten days later, I couldn't walk. I finally ended up in physical therapy when the toes of my right foot went numb. ACK! Turns out it was a couple of bulging discs, which, if you're not in HORRENDOUS agony, could be what happened to you.

The PT was amazing and was able to diagnose which discs were affected by which of my toes were numb (because of the ennervation, etc?). I had to do exercises to essentially push the discs back into place and then allow scar tissue to form. Her feeling was that I had injured this earlier just being Mommy: changing a diaper on a surface that was too low, for example. Over time, the disc had slow torn through more and more of that little protective thingamabob around it until...BOOM! OUCH!

One interesting tidbit: She told me that as long as any residual or occasional pain remained "centralized," i.e., in the spinal column, I was, generally speaking, OK (counterintuitive, no?). It's when I had peripheral pain that I was to head back to her office, because that's the sign that a disc is bulging again and impinging on nerves.

Do what seems best to you, but IMHO, you ought to RUN, not walk, to a good PT. They're incredible.

Good luck! I'm hurting for you....

My dh had surgery for a herniated disc last year.... he thinks that is what this is as well...at the very least, bulging. I sure hope it isn't....my dh works for Boeing and is in the middle of a very important....very time consuming project. He is working almost 70 hours a week....I have 4 kids to tend to pretty much without help.... I cannot have a surgery right now!!!!:glare: So, I am going to swear to myself that this is NOTHING...and that it will be back to normal in a few days....that is right...the old 'mind over matter' approach...it works like a charm, right?:lol: