Menu

Who's got a son or daughter graduating in May/June from college? "Brag" here!

Chris in VA

Not really brag, but "inform us" here and brag if you want to! lol

This particular college board here at WTM came into being as ds was starting college. He will graduate from VCU in May, although he has 8 weeks of film production in the summer--the school lets the Cinema students walk and actually gives them diplomas before the summer. I asked ds what happens if someone fails the summer production? He glared stonily--"NO ONE FAILS SUMMER PRODUCTION..." LOL...

Anyway, I'm very proud of him and his accomplishments.

How 'bout the rest of you guys?

My ds finished classes in the Fall semester, his diploma was mailed to us, but he is graduating in June. He didn't want a graduation ceremony from high school, so this one is his first graduation ceremony ever. He is graduating with a degree in International Relations.

He is currently working full-time to pay the bills while he works to get more fluent in Japanese. I am super proud of him. Choosing to go to college in Japan was a bold move out of the mainstream. He has matured so much in the last few years that it amazes me. I love the man he has grown to be.

My oldest is graduating from engineering college this May. We are proud of all that he has accomplished, and I am very thankful for the friends & mentors here who helped me through his hsing years. He has been interviewing madly for jobs this spring, but nothing concrete has come up yet. Some of the companies seem to be dragging their feet making decisions, and we're wondering whether it has to do with the soft economy. It seems like some places are trying to line up candidates for jobs while trying to get the positions approved within their companies.

Best wishes & congrats to all the grads & families! We'll pray that they are successful in finding employment, attending grad school, or in whatever they choose to do.

Brenda

He has been interviewing madly for jobs this spring, but nothing concrete has come up yet. Some of the companies seem to be dragging their feet making decisions, and we're wondering whether it has to do with the soft economy. It seems like some places are trying to line up candidates for jobs while trying to get the positions approved within their companies.

I think you're right. I was talking to my oldest this past weekend about his company and whether they were hiring this year. He said that they are freezing hiring right now because they just aren't sure where things are going...they acquired quite a few 'properties' from other companies (he's with a petroleum company) and they want to make sure they don't stretch themselves too much financially. I'm so thankful they were hiring last year when ds graduated. He was one of 13 hired right out of school. Apparently there has been a huge increase in enrollment in PE programs and it looks like there will be more graduates than jobs. Best wishes to your son - don't let him get discouraged :)

My oldest is graduating in June. This was an outside the box kid who found the perfect outside the box school where he has thrived and grown and learned. There are openings in his particular field and with his dream employer, which is terrific because they hadn't been hiring for the last several years. His resume is in, and I've been so proud of how he has built a network of contacts over the years. BUT... no interviews yet. The uncertainty and waiting is a killer!! It is worse than college application season.

It is so great to hear about "our" kids. Congratulations everyone!! :hurray: :party:

My daughter will be graduating in May, and we're looking forward to seeing her do so. She's been attending an all women liberal arts college and has loved her time there. She'll be graduating with a major in Latin and a minor in Geology, and she's currently hard at work on her senior thesis which deals with children's literature that has been translated into Latin.

Her long term goal is to become a librarian while her more immediate desire is to teach English in South Korea. We're looking at the situation with North Korea and wondering what might transpire.

Congratulations to those whose children are also graduating; I've enjoyed hearing their stories. They sound like fine young men. (Anyone else with a graduating daughter?)

Regards,

Kareni

I have a ds who finished college in December, but walks in May. He was offered a full time job in his field last summer, but told them he had to wait until December to actually start full time. He did the job, but only worked part time until he finished school. He finished on a Friday, then started working full time, in a job he loves at a company he loves, on the following Monday.

I also have a dd who is graduating in May. She will start grad school in June.

My ds was a semester ahead of schedule because of college courses he took during high school. My dd has been 2 years ahead because she took a lot of college courses during high school and had an AA when she would have graduated from high school. Thus, they both have graduations one week apart from each other. At least they are not on the same weekend, because they are in different states.

We will have a fun week in May!

My daughter will be graduating in May, and we're looking forward to seeing her do so. She's been attending an all women liberal arts college and has loved her time there. She'll be graduating with a major in Latin and a minor in Geology, and she's currently hard at work on her senior thesis which deals with children's literature that has been translated into Latin.

Her long term goal is to become a librarian while her more immediate desire is to teach English in South Korea. We're looking at the situation with North Korea and wondering what might transpire.

Congratulations to those whose children are also graduating; I've enjoyed hearing their stories. They sound like fine young men. (Anyone else with a graduating daughter?)

Regards,

Kareni

Now I listen to the news in a whole new way. Every time Korea is mentioned, I think of your girl and hold my breath just a little.

My son still has one more year, but he's talking Peace Corp right now. He studied abroad in Thailand last fall and now can't wait to get overseas again. We'll see!

• 3 weeks later...

My oldest is graduating from engineering college this May. We are proud of all that he has accomplished, and I am very thankful for the friends & mentors here who helped me through his hsing years. He has been interviewing madly for jobs this spring, but nothing concrete has come up yet.

Brenda

Update: Yes, miracles do happen!!!! My ds has found a job in his field!!! We are so excited, as is he!!!

Homeschool -----> College -------> Professional Job :laugh: Hsing works!!!!

Brenda

:party:

Update: Yes, miracles do happen!!!! My ds has found a job in his field!!! We are so excited, as is he!!!

Brenda

:party:

Congratulations, Brenda! And congratulations to your son. Well done :)

My ds has found a job in his field!!! We are so excited, as is he!!!

What great news! Congratulations to him and to you.

Regards,

Kareni

Since ds graduated high school four years ago, I have spent little time on these boards. I'm back now, trying to find my way again, and it's really neat to see this thread and familiar names and faces who went through the high school ed/college app process alongside me. I always credit the people here with helping me have the wisdom to get ds through. I would have been so lost otherwise.

He's graduating in early June, and has a job that's keeping him in the same city--he loves it there. As far as the job market, he initially interviewed with a company he was excited about, but didn't get called back. Later he learned that that company had laid off a significant number of employees, so I guess things work out for the best.

Best wishes to all!