Menu

Question about Dianne Craft resources

twinmami01

I am looking to purchase her DVD, Smart Kids Who Hate to Write. My twin boys are 12 and have severe speech apraxia. They have also struggled with auditory processing issues and were 10 before they started reading. We had a neuropsych eval when they were 8. They were hesitant to diagnose dyslexia because at the time they were just reading at a 1st grade level and she wanted to wait another year before diagnosing dyslexia.

Fast forward 4 years and although they are both reading, they both struggle with reading comprehension and spelling. One of them really struggles with handwriting. We've always used HWOT and it really hasn't helped. We have started making accomodations by limiting the writing and allowing him to type. He also really struggles with math. Yesterday, it took him 3 hours to do 22 problems in Teaching Textbooks math. He does come across as being lazy and unmotivated. I'm at a loss. It's frustrating and just exhausting. I suspect we are dealing with dyslexia with both and possibly dysgraphia and discalculia with at least one. I really can't afford to have them tested since our insurance company won't pay. This is why I'm looking at Dianne Craft's DVD.

I am also looking at her Struggling Learners DVD, hoping it will help with both. Another mom on another forum offered to let me borrow her Brain Integration Therapy manual. My question is, does the information on the DVD's overlap with what is in the manual? If I was to get just one DVD, which one should I get?

I have her main book, the writing DVD and the Biology of Behavior audio.

I really enjoyed the writing DVD, but only because it was the confirmation I needed to hear, that we could work through this and conquer it. It was inspiring to me at the time I listened to it. As far as the practical application I got from the DVD - it was interesting to watch different age children do the Writing 8 program. I had my student sit through that section and it was good for them to see it in action.

Was it worth the money? For me, yes.

Does it overlap the manual? Yes, very much so.

I am not familiar with the Struggling Learners DVD, though it is/was on my list. I am not sure now if I need it, as my student has had a breakthrough in terms of writing. We still have a ways to go, but we have overcome a major hurdle - fluency of writing. I am waiting now to see if that was enough to get him up to speed.

I did enjoy the Biology of Behavior audio, though not the format. (Back and forth conversation with another lady - I found it slightly annoying.) I did implement her supplement program with my student back in January.

We loosened up a bit last week with therapy and supplements. Writing fluency held, but some of the behavior/neurological issues worsened. Good test to see where we are.

(Our dx: mild brain injury with neuromuscular disorder. Child does not technically have dyslexia or dysgraphia, but his brain injury causes glitches with similar symptoms.)