Menu

Ancient History for Middle School

I've was just working on my update for the ancients on my blog, since I'm working on this now for my girls, and this is what I have for middle school level. I've included literature, but I wasn't sure if you wanted to see this too.

• Book of the Ancient World by Dorothy Mills
  • Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt by Elizabeth Payne
  • Book of the Ancient Greeks Dorothy Mills
  • The Story of Ancient China by Suzanne Strauss Art
  • Book of the Ancient Romans Dorothy Mills
  • Augustus Caesar's World by Genevieve Foster

Biographies:

The Life and Times of Buddha by Mona K. Gedney

Alexander the Great by John Gunther

Cleopatra of Egypt by Leonora Hornblow

Hannibal by Jacob Abbott

Literature:

• Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger L. Green
  • Age of Fable by Thomas Bulfinch
  • Great Myths of the World by Padraic Colum
  • Gilgamesh the Hero by Geraldine McCaughrean

Add these if they have not yet been read:

• Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus by Rosemary Sutcliff
  • In Search of a Homeland by Penelope Lively

Here is the math and science collection, because most of these would fit this level too. I'll include it in case you want more options to replace the literature.

Math and Science Addition:

• Pythagoras, What's Your Angle? by Ellis and Hornung
  • How We Learned the Earth is Round by Patricia Lauber (lower elementary) or
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky (upper elementary)
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science by Jeanne Bendick (Use Archimedes Takes a Bath from the independent reader list for lower elementary, if you'd like.)
  • Science in Ancient Greece by Kathlyn Gay
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine by Jeanne Bendick
  • Science in Ancient Rome by Jacqueline L. Harris
  • Science in Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Woods
  • Science in Ancient China by George W. Beshore
  • The Biography of Silk by Carrie Gleason

There's the Oxford University Press series The World in Ancient Times, which are chock-full of details and wonderful if you love history. (Too overwhelming for my DS, but he's only 10 and doesn't love history, prefers spending time on science.)

And the Early Times Series by Suzanne Strauss Art. Here's a link from a post I wrote on them yesterday: http://www.rainbowre...a79e61506064c07 (edit: another link http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=14&category=4022) And the related description from Rainbow Resource:

"This series provides a very thorough, detailed study of several different past civilizations. Each book has three units (several chapters each) and reviews the civilization chronologically. The books not only cover general information about food, religion, trade, education, art, and government, but also specific details of wars, time periods, events, and famous people. The books are formatted and read like history textbooks and can actually be used for a year’s worth of study or for unit studies. There are review questions after each chapter to make sure students are catching important details. There is no answer key in the books for these questions, but the answers can easily be found in the text. There are a dozen or so short answer questions, and then there are several deep thinking questions for every chapter, which encourage students to develop their opinions or critical thinking. A few project ideas are also included after each chapter, which prompt students to draw maps or timelines, write essays, and read recommended books that correlate with the chapter. Each book includes black and white maps, diagrams, drawings, and photographs, as well as a timeline of important events in each civilization. An index and pronunciation guide are included, along with the complete list of recommended supplementary readings."

• 2 weeks later...

I love the history books by Dorothy Mills. I just wish she had published books for early modern and modern history. Memoria Press has published all of them but her last one (Renaissance and Reformation Times) and guides for all of them except The Middle Ages (and they may be working on a guide for that one too...I'm not sure...). I love that she gives an accurate account of history in a narrative style and includes many excerpts from primary sources. This works perfectly for me, because it makes it so much easier to add primary sources to the text.

Her book titles are:

The Book of the Ancient World (Egypt, Assyrians, Phoenicians, etc.)

The Book of the Ancient Greeks

The Book of the Ancient Romans

The Middle Ages

Renaissance and Reformation Times

I made a guide for Renaissance and Reformation Times that you can download at my blog (A Mind in the Light). Look under Book Notes and then under the title of the book. I'm currently working on one for The Book of the Ancient Greeks and most likely The Book of the Ancient World. I will, in the future, write guides for The Book of the Ancient Romans and The Middle Ages. I like writing my own so that I can incorporate primary sources and design them to work for our style of learning which leans towards CM/Classical.

I do wish she had a book which covered some of the eastern side of the world, but we love them so much that I would rather add books to supplement this rather than not use them.

I love the history books by Dorothy Mills. I just wish she had published books for early modern and modern history. Memoria Press has published all of them but her last one (Renaissance and Reformation Times) and guides for all of them except The Middle Ages (and they may be working on a guide for that one too...I'm not sure...). I love that she gives an accurate account of history in a narrative style and includes many excerpts from primary sources. This works perfectly for me, because it makes it so much easier to add primary sources to the text.

Her book titles are:

The Book of the Ancient World (Egypt, Assyrians, Phoenicians, etc.)

The Book of the Ancient Greeks

The Book of the Ancient Romans

The Middle Ages

Renaissance and Reformation Times

I made a guide for Renaissance and Reformation Times that you can download at my blog (A Mind in the Light). Look under Book Notes and then under the title of the book. I'm currently working on one for The Book of the Ancient Greeks and most likely The Book of the Ancient World. I will, in the future, write guides for The Book of the Ancient Romans and The Middle Ages. I like writing my own so that I can incorporate primary sources and design them to work for our style of learning which leans towards CM/Classical.

I do wish she had a book which covered some of the eastern side of the world, but we love them so much that I would rather add books to supplement this rather than not use them.

You have a great resource there on your blog...Thank you for sharing your hard work...It is really appreciated :001_smile: