Menu

REAL Science Odysssey and Nancy Larson Science

avazquez24

I'm looking at the two right now to use w/ dd who will be 2nd and ds who will be 1st....would love any input from others who have used either of these! What did you like or not like about them?

From what I saw looking online, it appeared that REAL Science may be more 'hands on' as far as real life items goes, but requires some planning ahead and obtaining materials, ect. Nancy Larson appears to come with all the materials needed, so it requires less planning and is an 'open and go' more appraoch....would love to hear from those who have actually used the programs though :)

I wish I could report that I loved RSO, but I ended up dumping it about a month ago.

If you scroll back to Week 1 and read forward on my blog, you can read my thoughts on it as we progressed. Ultimately, the program felt too holey and incomplete. It's like throwing a dart at a dart board. The labs are out of context and don't transition well. There are a couple of good activities, but most don't seem the best for the age set. There's a lot of tedious data recording that's not all that exciting.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Life%20Science

I agree with pitterpatter, we only use RSO for a supplement or a fun in between activity. I suppose you could make it more of a complete curriculum if you filled the gaps, but that would definitely take away from it being as open and go.

My kids actually like it quite a bit. We have the kit that goes with it from homesciencetools.com so I don't have hardly any prep when we decide to throw in a lesson or two.

Thank you! That helps a ton! :)

I wish I could report that I loved RSO, but I ended up dumping it about a month ago.

If you scroll back to Week 1 and read forward on my blog, you can read my thoughts on it as we progressed. Ultimately, the program felt too holey and incomplete. It's like throwing a dart at a dart board. The labs are out of context and don't transition well. There are a couple of good activities, but most don't seem the best for the age set. There's a lot of tedious data recording that's not all that exciting.

http://bluehousescho...el/Life Science

Science never got done at our house, that is until I found Nancy Larson Science. We love it here. I never thought I would enjoy a scripted programs but it is great. We learn a lot and the experiments are fun, to the point, and easy to do. We look forward to doing science now. It is worth the price to me. Plus you can always sell it when you are done.

I've never used RSO. I looked at it extensively last year to use for this year but decided against it. It didn't look like enough text/explanation. I would need to add a lot more info for my kids to stay interested. I thought I loved the fact that there there were multiple experiments. However, I knew that meant I would need to gather supplies and that might not happen. I also thought that many of the experiments seemed very tedious and time consuming for what they illustrated. I was afraid we would start them and my kids would get sidetracked and become uninterested......and then I would end up doing all the work. So, I decided against RSO because I didn't think it would get done here.

I went with NL instead. I wasn't sure on the scripting and was worried it wasn't enough info but it was great. I was surprised by how much I liked it. My kids loved it too. The experiments are more discovery/exploration but they are easier to do and are meaningful. So, they get done at our house and my kids enjoyed them. The information is very incremental so my kids learned and retained all of it. It was really well done. The scripting was sometimes a little excessive but I learned to work around it.

I recently blogged about 10 reasons I liked NL and compared it with Apologia and Elemental Science and also wrote some initial thoughts when I began the program last year. So, NL is my favorite science program of the ones we've tried and after comparing it, I like it even more.

Science never got done at our house, that is until I found Nancy Larson Science. We love it here. I never thought I would enjoy a scripted programs but it is great. We learn a lot and the experiments are fun, to the point, and easy to do. We look forward to doing science now. It is worth the price to me. Plus you can always sell it when you are done.

I TOTALLY agree with this. WE LOVE Nancy Larson Science!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have all sold me on NL Science. Lexi - do you plan on using NL 2 with Apologia next year? Do you try to correlate Apologia with NL? Enjoyed your blog posts and honest review of each program. I'm leaning heavily toward NL Science for next year - just need to find it used!!! If anyone is parting/selling their NL Science let me know! Elise

I do plan on using NL 2 with Apologia Flying Creatures. My plan is to do a lesson in NL one day and then do the review page the following day. On the review day we will do reading in Apologia or another science reader (I plan to add in a few extra books for science reading because my kids are avid readers). We will just move slowly through Apologia at our own pace. I won't bother trying to correlate anything. My kids just enjoy reading the book and looking through the pics. I think we will make our own notebook pages with apologia since my dd likes to draw.

I'm glad my review helped. I have been really debating science and spent a long time thinking about what we are going to use. It helped to type out all my thoughts. In the end, I took the plunge and ordered NL. It arrived yesterday :) I'm doing level 2 with my oldest and level K with my two middle kids. I think we are really going to enjoy it!