Menu

Insuring a teen driver- do we add her at the permit level or license?

sassenach

My 15yo officially has her permit. Do we need to add her to our insurance now, or after she gets her license?

For us, our insurance didn't add ds until he had his actual license. I'd assume that is a statewide policy (FL). Your best bet is to check with your insurance company.

License. I broke my dd's boyfriend's heart when I told him this - he is so excited about getting his permit and then his license - he thought as long as HE didn't own a car he didn't need the insurance. No, I told him, the insurance goes with the driver. Here you can not get a license w/o proof of insurance.

License. I broke my dd's boyfriend's heart when I told him this - he is so excited about getting his permit and then his license - he thought as long as HE didn't own a car he didn't need the insurance. No, I told him, the insurance goes with the driver. Here you can not get a license w/o proof of insurance.

You can insure a driver?

I sell insurance. The insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver

Confusing statements here.

In MN and Michigan where I now live, the cars are insured yes, However, if we have/had 2 cars and 3 drivers, the third driver still needs to be insured. She/he was added to the policy of the car they would be driving and the rates of that policy went up. We did not have 3 policies , just one for each car.

Later when we had 3 cars and 3 drivers, it was assumed by the insurance company that one of the vehicles would have the teen driver as the primary driver and was insured at the rate that reflected that. ( Higher than if an adult was the primary driver.)

We did not have to add them to any policy until they had their license. The permit stage was covered.

I would check and verify that with my insurance company.

Then I misunderstood - my dd was not allowed to get her license until she showed proof of insurance at the DMV Our insurer said out rates would go up as soon as she got her license - even is we swore she would not be driving our car.

That may very well be true. But it is at the point of getting her license then and not when she was getting her permit correct?

BTW I don't know that anyone's insurance does not go up when their child starts driving. Oye.

Confusing statements here.

In MN and Michigan where I now live, the cars are insured yes, However, if we have/had 2 cars and 3 drivers, the third driver still needs to be insured. She/he was added to the policy of the car they would be driving and the rates of that policy went up. We did not have 3 policies , just one for each car.

Later when we had 3 cars and 3 drivers, it was assumed by the insurance company that one of the vehicles would have the teen driver as the primary driver and was insured at the rate that reflected that. ( Higher than if an adult was the primary driver.)

We did not have to add them to any policy until they had their license. The permit stage was covered.

I would check and verify that with my insurance company.

Another thing I learned this year is that if someone plans to drive a car regularly, not their own car but a company car or even a variety of other cars owned by other people, then that person might need to take out his own insurance policy.

We ran into this with our son. He moved to our town for a year or so, and was planning to borrow our car regularly... often enough that I tried to add him to our policy (thinking I could). Turns out that since he is over 21, married, and has a separate residence, he cannot be on our policy. Also, because he would be driving his company's car once/week, his company required him to have his own auto insurance. It wasn't enough that the car had auto insurance. So, even though our son had no car of his own, he had to get his own auto insurance policy. (He finally did get his own car however, after about 6 months. :)

Then I misunderstood - my dd was not allowed to get her license until she showed proof of insurance at the DMV Our insurer said out rates would go up as soon as she got her license - even is we swore she would not be driving our car.

She would have to be rated as a driver, even if you think she'll never use it.

When I worked in underwriting, eons ago, all licensed drivers in a household had to be rated on the licensed vehicles in the car (different for roommate situations). Also you might be covered if someone periodically uses your car, (forget what that is called), but if they are driving it on a regular basis, they need to be added (thereby increasing the rate). Also if the car is going to be housed at a different location then there might need to be a separate policy (possible exceptions for college students with a car on campus).

So while the insurance follows the car, the drivers must be rated on a vehicle. Our state doesn't require proof of insurance for a driver's license, only when buying or licensing a car. Insurance is regulated by individual states, however, maybe that's a law IL has in place.

In Illinois it's required to show that the vehicle the person is testing in is insured before they'll let them take the road test.

Actually, insurance follows the car, not the driver. That's why you can let any licensed driver take your vehicle; if they wreck it, YOUR insurance is gonna cover that wreck.

My sister has been a State Farm employee for 27 years, and this has always been the case.

The thing is, all licensed drivers in the household have to be rated to drive the vehicles. In other words, if you have 2 vehicles and 4 drivers (2 adult, 2 teen), your rating will be for the 2 adults with the 2 teens as occasional drivers on the vehicles - THEY are not insured; the insurance on the vehicle goes up because the more "risky" drivers are now occasionally driving.

If you have 4 vehicles and 4 drivers, they will rate a single driver on each vehicle. You wouldn't be able to list the adults in the household as primary on 2 vehicles each with the teens as occasionals - that's just not the way it works. The kids will be rated on a particular vehicle.

Still, the VEHICLE is what is insured; the premium is just based on who is driving it regularly.

Also, as far as showing proof of insurance at the DMV, we had to show proof that the vehicle the kids would drive was insured, and when they did the driving tests, the vehicle they drove for the test had to have proof of insurance, but it was still the VEHICLE's insurance, NOT the driver's.