Menu

Posting this in two places. I have our WJIII results now what?

For a little background my dd is 11 years 4months old. She's reading at about a 2nd/3rd grade level. She struggles with all reading. We tried to get an appointment with a neuropsych doc for some testing but she basically blew us off because we're homeschoolers, said it must be an academic problem and we should work with the schools. I don't think it's acdemic, so I took her for WJIII testing at Learning Rx in our area.

I'm back from my consultation of Annika's test results from Learning Rx. They did tests from the Woodcock Johnson III test of achievement and WJIII test of cognitive abilities. Here are the results of what they tested.

Long Term Memory-14th percentile

Short Term Memory- 17th percentile

Visual Processing- 68th percentile

Logic and Reasoning- 77th percentile

Executive Processing Speed- 53rd percentile

Auditory Processing- 15th percentile

Word Attack- 19th percentile

So I'm thinking it's not dyslexia, but an auditory Processing disorder/issue. I'm not sure where to go now that I have the results. They offer therapy but they want $6300 for 6 months of therapy with 3hrs in house and 3hrs at home a week. I'm fine with working at home, but we simply can't afford $1000 a month at this time. So now what do I do?

It's clear that your daughter has, at the least, somewhat high average/above average reasoning ability and visual processing abilities. Memory, auditory processing, and reading decoding are clear major weaknesses. Those are all indicators that your daughter's challenges do not stem from lack of adequate exposure to academic curriculum. Shame on that neuropsych for even suggesting that before he had any data on which to build a hypothesis, other than that you homeschool.

Given her scores and her age, I would not mess around trying to devise her therapy program by yourself. Other professional options to consider:

1) a language and literacy or learning disabilities clinic associated with a major university, if you live near enough to one. If you have a university or college that offers graduate level special ed degrees, even if they don't have a clinic, they may be able to refer you to a student who needs hours of working with a child.

2) Go to the International Dyslexia Association website and look under the "Find a Provider" tab to get a list of professionals in your area.

3)Ask anyone and everyone you know for names of reading tutors, preferably with O-G training, who work privately.

Private tutors are often more willing to negotiate the amount of time you spend with them. Depending on the personality and their understanding of home education, many are willing to collaborate with you to help you build the home program. If possible, the person you work with could be a SLP with not only background in auditory processing but literacy as well.

If I had known what I know now, I would never have tried to stumble along trying to just figure it out on my own with my son. We got to age 15 with him before we sought professional assistance- not of my own doing but the constraints I was under with "the powers that be" in our family. That is the saddest, most regrettable child raising error I have ever made. We ended up having to pay even more megabucks for professionals to help us improve the situation for our son.

DD has very low scores in many assessments, and I'm also desperately searching for any interventions that would help, but LearningRx is probably not the solution. There have been many complaints about LearningRx, e.g., see the complaints in the past four years by employees and parents at http://www.complaint...956.html?page=4. May I ask how much LearningRx charged you for the WJ-III test?

Many of the brain training tasks that LearningRx does can be done on your own for free, e.g., dual n-back, flash cards, C8Sciences.com free trial, Neuronet free trial, Interactive Metronome app. If she does have dyslexia, then an Orton-Gillingham program may be advisable. Good luck!

They offer therapy but they want $6300 for 6 months of therapy with 3hrs in house and 3hrs at home a week. I'm fine with working at home, but we simply can't afford $1000 a month at this time. So now what do I do?

I just wanted to suggest that you contact the local dyslexia school and ask for tutors and testers. Look for a Wilson or other O-G reading professional and expect about three hours of tutoring per week.

I see that Richmond has a Scottish Rite Learning Center. If they are close enough, you could contact them directly and discover whether they provide dyslexia testing and any associated fees.

A thorough assessment would likely benefit your child. If be, cast a wider net in your search for a NP. Some moms were convinced their kiddos were dyslexic and the underlying issue was wholly different after NP testing.

I also wanted to mention that DS has been NP tested twice, nearly 4 years apart. Both doctors were great and supported our decision to homeschool.

I just wanted to suggest that you contact the local dyslexia school and ask for tutors and testers. Look for a Wilson or other O-G reading professional and expect about three hours of tutoring per week.

I see that Richmond has a Scottish Rite Learning Center. If they are close enough, you could contact them directly and discover whether they provide dyslexia testing and any associated fees.

A thorough assessment would likely benefit your child. If be, cast a wider net in your search for a NP. Some moms were convinced their kiddos were dyslexic and the underlying issue was wholly different after NP testing.

I also wanted to mention that DS has been NP tested twice, nearly 4 years apart. Both doctors were great and supported our decision to homeschool.

I have started using Barton to tutor her at home while we were waiting for that neuro psych exam that was a total failure. I didn't know there was a Scottish Rite in Richmond. I'll find their information and call them tomorrow. Thank you so much for mentioning that. I have a friend that had her kids test at a Scottish Rite for free.

DD has very low scores in many assessments, and I'm also desperately searching for any interventions that would help, but LearningRx is probably not the solution. There have been many complaints about LearningRx, e.g., see the complaints in the past four years by employees and parents at http://www.complaint...956.html?page=4. May I ask how much LearningRx charged you for the WJ-III test?

Many of the brain training tasks that LearningRx does can be done on your own for free, e.g., dual n-back, flash cards, C8Sciences.com free trial, Neuronet free trial, Interactive Metronome app. If she does have dyslexia, then an Orton-Gillingham program may be advisable. Good luck!

I knew going into it that they had issues with complaints, but it was the only place I could find that would get us in quickly. We paid way too much for the testing, but my husband wanted something that would give us an idea of what might be going on with her.

Given her scores and her age, I would not mess around trying to devise her therapy program by yourself. Other professional options to consider:

2) Go to the International Dyslexia Association website and look under the "Find a Provider" tab to get a list of professionals in your area.

Unfortunately all of the Providers listed on their site are Northern VA or Richmond. At least 2 hours away minimum, and many of them are LearningRx just like I took her to today.

Unfortunately all of the Providers listed on their site are Northern VA or Richmond. At least 2 hours away minimum, and many of them are LearningRx just like I took her to today.

Hmmm, a two hour trip won't do for regular tutoring work. I would still ask around to see what you can find for private providers.

As for testing, I agree with casting your net a little wider for a good neuropsych. With the testing that you have in hand, at least you know there is something going on and can be more confident when you talk on the phone to the next person about your needs.

Kel, Learning RX *does* work and *can* be one way to improve that working memory and get things moving. The lead optometrist at our practice that does PACE/Learning RX actually had that happen with her own kids. So they're not crazy or just taking you for a ride when they say that. At our place they do PACE *after* VT (which you already did, right?), and they do PACE super fast. Like I think you work several hours a day, every day, for a week, kind of like a summer camp program. It costs an astonishing amount ($3500?), but you're getting hours of work a day from the lead therapist. I may be wrong, it may be over a couple weeks. Anyways, they don't dribble it out. So if you just want to hit it, that might be another way to go about it, finding someone farther but where you can go there, stay with a friend or at a hotel, and knock it out.

Also, they don't like to hit PACE/Learning RX stuff till they've address OT issues. Has she done OT or does she have any indication of sensory issues? If you've got SPD and sensory issues affecting that working memory, it's really hard to bust through. You then do the OT first.

I have no experience with APD, but you're correct that a psych could totally miss it. I have no clue how to help you there. I called a higher end provider in our area, and the base hearing screening in a room was just under $300. Apparently they could give you an indication in that $300 screening if you ought to be looking into the next level of screening. So if that's on your radar, I guess start calling and see what your options are.

Just for a faster, immediately available intervention on the memory stuff, you might look at C8Kids. It's by donation right now and very good. Can't hurt.

Just for your trivia, for the long-term memory, the things I've seen things mention is activities where they tell them something one day (a list, whatever) and try to have the dc remember it for the next day.

Kel, Learning RX *does* work and *can* be one way to improve that working memory and get things moving. The lead optometrist at our practice that does PACE/Learning RX actually had that happen with her own kids. So they're not crazy or just taking you for a ride when they say that. At our place they do PACE *after* VT (which you already did, right?), and they do PACE super fast. Like I think you work several hours a day, every day, for a week, kind of like a summer camp program. It costs an astonishing amount ($3500?), but you're getting hours of work a day from the lead therapist. I may be wrong, it may be over a couple weeks. Anyways, they don't dribble it out. So if you just want to hit it, that might be another way to go about it, finding someone farther but where you can go there, stay with a friend or at a hotel, and knock it out.

Also, they don't like to hit PACE/Learning RX stuff till they've address OT issues. Has she done OT or does she have any indication of sensory issues? If you've got SPD and sensory issues affecting that working memory, it's really hard to bust through. You then do the OT first.

I have no experience with APD, but you're correct that a psych could totally miss it. I have no clue how to help you there. I called a higher end provider in our area, and the base hearing screening in a room was just under $300. Apparently they could give you an indication in that $300 screening if you ought to be looking into the next level of screening. So if that's on your radar, I guess start calling and see what your options are.

Just for a faster, immediately available intervention on the memory stuff, you might look at C8Kids. It's by donation right now and very good. Can't hurt.

Just for your trivia, for the long-term memory, the things I've seen things mention is activities where they tell them something one day (a list, whatever) and try to have the dc remember it for the next day.

OE,

I wasn't thinking they were taking me for a ride, but there is simply no way we can afford a program where the least expensive option is $1000 a month for 6 months (that's 3hours a week at in office and 3hours a week of homework) She has gone through VT already.

From all that we see and what others have observed there are no sensory issues, so she's never had OT. I'll check out C8kids.