Menu

Dancing Bears - Gen Help! & Bearing Away?

Ecclecticmum

I found Dancing Bears and realized its a UK Programme (We're living in Aus, but DH is UK) I originally thought it was another US programme (i.e. unusable) but found that out, then found out they had an Aussie Store....HOW did I NOT know this? Anyhoo....

1. What I wanted to know from US people is if they know whether their programme is different from the UK programme, or is it just a difference of being printed in the US rather than UK. I'm just wondering if there is any difference between shops (i.e UK/USA/AU).

2. Secondly is regarding Bearing Away. From what I *think* (I.e. am probably completely wrong, rofl) they are consumable workbooks, therefore to teach 3 students, I need three copies of Bearing Away, is that correct?

3. For some really, super annoying reason, the tiles/starter pack for Bearing Away isn't in the Aus store (I mean, really?!!!?) I'm under the impression I only need one set of tiles, since they aren't in the store, where do I get them from??

4. If someone has a link to the Yahoo Group and contact details for the program company (when I go to the contact page, its completely blank and I can't find an email address elsewhere on the site) that would be helpful.

I might of thought of contacting the Aus store person, but she seems to own a whole different, what looks like competing business that shows no mention of the DB/BA, so I would rather ask here or find contact for the Promethean people/DB Owner.

Thank you SO much if you can help at all, if I sound a bit brunt I apologize, I have a little headache, and keep getting interrupted by my dogs lol. Iim very excited to have found this program though. Aus or Aus usable phonics programs are far and few.

1. What I wanted to know from US people is if they know whether their programme is different from the UK programme, or is it just a difference of being printed in the US rather than UK. I'm just wondering if there is any difference between shops (i.e UK/USA/AU).

It's just where they're printed. I started with Dancing Bears A, and it came from Nashville, TN. It still has all British things (like "kerb" instead of "curb" that we use in the US).

2. Secondly is regarding Bearing Away. From what I *think* (I.e. am probably completely wrong, rofl) they are consumable workbooks, therefore to teach 3 students, I need three copies of Bearing Away, is that correct?

I didn't use that book, but looking at it, I'd just put a laminating pouch or one of those protective sleeves over it and use a wet or dry erase marker. That's what I did for the similar type section in the beginning of Dancing Bears A.

Also, I don't think you'd want to start at that book for your 7 year old. A 7 year old would probably be better off in Fast Track. I started my then-5 year old at Dancing Bears A. I never did the Bearing Away book. It says Bearing Away is for students with "complex learning difficulties". I think that goes beyond just your basic dyslexia and such. Click on the "where to start with reading" link on the top left side of the page to get advice on a starting point. My 5 year old had no trouble with DB A, and he is a bit of a late bloomer (compared to his brothers) and struggled a bit with reading.

3. For some really, super annoying reason, the tiles/starter pack for Bearing Away isn't in the Aus store (I mean, really?!!!?) I'm under the impression I only need one set of tiles, since they aren't in the store, where do I get them from??

No clue. Those tiles are only used with that book. The other books have phonogram cards that ship from the UK (even though your book itself is printed in your country).

4. If someone has a link to the Yahoo Group and contact details for the program company (when I go to the contact page, its completely blank and I can't find an email address elsewhere on the site) that would be helpful.

I've never heard of a Yahoo Group for them, but weird that the contact is blank... They had website problems recently, so that might have gotten messed up during that. Their order info comes from sales at soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk, so you could try that.

Also, I don't think you'd want to start at that book for your 7 year old. A 7 year old would probably be better off in Fast Track. I started my then-5 year old at Dancing Bears A. I never did the Bearing Away book. It says Bearing Away is for students with "complex learning difficulties". I think that goes beyond just your basic dyslexia and such. Click on the "where to start with reading" link on the top left side of the page to get advice on a starting point. My 5 year old had no trouble with DB A, and he is a bit of a late bloomer (compared to his brothers) and struggled a bit with reading.

Thanks for all your info! :) I appreciate it.

My daughter actually does have problems with reading. We've been through multiple learning to read programs since 2010, I looked at the "where to start" and it was a toss up between Bear Neccessities and Bearing away. I decided it was better to have her "fast track" through Bearing Away if neccessary, than to get BN and realize it was going too fast or she gets lost again.

Our current phonics program is so-so. I love the readers and the software, the word families and following workbooks, but its total of "phonics - learning to read" is very very simple. Its an alphabet workbook, and althought we are working our way slowly through that, I have the feeling its going to go the same way as ETC, no memory of doing it/forgetting it. To me DB seems to be similar to 100ez or OPGTR but more interesting for the child, and hopefully no dramas with the "a" sound or other sounds that are different. We tried both 100ez (lesson went on for too long, took forever and she literally fell asleep rofl, we forged ahead, but it was just frustrating and annoying her) and OPGTR (similar problem as 100ez). I will continue to do the worksheets for our current program (since each "sheet" by itself only takes a few minutes) but would really like a program I can start seeing results on rather than working our way through the letters only to get 3/4 of the way through the year to begin CVC and joining, and realize she's forgotten her letters again, or has problems blending with this program (she had big problems blending at all, she relies on guesses, and most of them are shockingly wayy off.) Our current pre-cvc is just too lax, but there isn't a great amount out there for us. And the program itself is really meant more for schools, not really something (IMO) as a whole program, meant for homeschools (unless you have about 10 kids your teaching at the same time. The lessons are more based around school methods of using other kids to teach other kids, so not everyone being involved, whereas at home you and your child have to interact to do the lesson. )

I figured she needs an intensive program, my son needs a multi-sensory intensive one, and my littles is quite young, therefore BA would suit her. This way they can all do the "same thing" (they are obsessed with doing the same as each other) but work at their own pace through the program, plus have a bit more scheduled one-on-one time with mum each day. And they can each use either the IPAD or computer software part of the current program I use, whilst the third child is doing DB with me (at least thats the plan).

I'm just really starting to see the same things as ETC happening all over again, and its kinda making me paranoid :( I probably would of attached onto DB ages ago if I had been fully aware of what it was. We need something that isn't connected too much with writing, is multi-sensory but not as fiddly or teacher intensive as Happy Phonics (I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that is a rude phrase in my house!) catered to UK/Aus and would suit all my kids for them to at least "start" on the same level.

I wish I knew more about the tiles, I will have to research on them. I have AAS tiles here, but I like the idea of plastic tiles like BambinoLUK/scrabble, which is what they look more like. If I was just hs'ing DS and was American I would probably just chuck in the whole kit and kaboodle and get Sing, Spell, Read and Write (or something along those lines with Singing, jumping madly about, playing 100s of games, reward charts, etc) but I'm teaching 3, and I have limited amount of energy with CFS (plus I'm planning to purchase Rightstart, and apparently have to put together a chemistry science year for A (according to her lol) so thats enough craziness and excitement for me.

I'm not 100% sure, but when I bought Dancing Bears Fasttrack it came with the cards. I wonder if in other countries than UK, they just automatically come with the necessary pieces. I didn't have to order the cards seperate, they just came in the mail (although they came seperate).

The book is printed in the US but it is the UK version. Also, you can use one book with multiple students. I would suggest you use a different color ink or colored pencil to check the boxes, etc....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the person who suggested the sandpaper letters. I found the tiles were going to cost a fortune to get here.

I purchased some cheap sandpaper letter flashcards off Amazon and they are perfect. They'll give that bit of input the kids need.

Today, hopefully, I can cut up the cards and begin I decided to just start with Atlas for now. Chaos will be doing his speech therapy @ home this year, so can start the phonics program next year. And I can easily get another book for Eve if she decides she wants to do it.

Wish us luck (here's hoping this program works, or I might have to take her in for testing) I'm hoping it was just a case of she wasn't ready, and hopefully with the flashcards and input, she'll get enough review and finally remember her letter sounds and start to *truly* blend.

xxx