Menu

If someone does not accept paypal, what is the safest way for me to pay?

I don't know. I've wondered the same. I notice a lot of people on here don't take paypal...and don't even include a photo....makes me nervous. I'm used to FSOT on another board, used to always seeing detailed photos of the sellers item (not stock/amazon type) and using paypal to protect me (and the seller) and delivery confirmation. This is different for me and I'm hesitant.

I would say none of the above. Paypal was created to facilitate exchanges between strangers. Who wants to provide an anonymous internet user with your bank account number? A cashier's check or money order is anonymous, but you don't have a way to stop payment on them if you never get your item.

If I'm buying online from a stranger, it's Paypal or nothing.

As they buyer, none. You just have to trust that they will tell you they received it and send the product. That's why I love Paypal. I can start a case if need be. Anything else? You're out the money and product if you came up against a nefarious seller. :(

None of the alternates you listed will protect you, if something goes wrong. Keep looking, and find another seller who accepts PayPal. A check, money order, cashiers check, etc., will not protect you, in any way, if you do not receive the merchandise or have a problem with it after you receive it.

ETA: You sure DO NOT want to send a check. to someone you do not know VERY well.

Unless I know the person IRL, I will only pay with PayPal. I used to feel differently, back in the early days of eBay before PayPal was the norm, and everyone I dealt with turned out to be honest, but not any more. There's really no good reason for a seller not to accept PayPal. (I know some people may disagree with me about that, but if you're selling something and you don't accept PayPal, plan on waiting a while to find a buyer!)

I think I may have bought one time from someone who didn't want paypal on the boards, but in general I just wouldn't do it. And frankly, I'd want that person to have THOUSANDS of posts, so I know they're legit. But yeah in general, just walk away. I think there's technically a way to do it through amazon (though I don't recall how). It's just not worth the risk. I had a check stolen from my mailbox, so I'm DOWN on mailing checks. :(

Interesting....

I completely agree which is why I've hesitated. The risk is completely on the buyer. (And I couldn't agree more about sending a check.) But, from what I've seen, many people on the classifieds here don't accept paypal.

At least I know now that I'm not crazy for not being comfortable with it.

I sometimes sell curriculum that I have already used or ones that I decided not to use and don't use PayPal. For me, I had a problem with PayPal pulling money from my bank account and leaving me almost penniless that month. Bills went unpaid, including my mortgage, due to my account having been hacked. Took PayPal a month to finish investigating and return my money. After that I closed the account and don't use it. When I sell, I ask for money orders or an Amazon payment. It is like PayPal but through Amazon. They do have protection for the buyer so it is a good option.

I sometimes sell curriculum that I have already used or ones that I decided not to use and don't use PayPal. For me, I had a problem with PayPal pulling money from my bank account and leaving me almost penniless that month. Bills went unpaid, including my mortgage, due to my account having been hacked. Took PayPal a month to finish investigating and return my money. After that I closed the account and don't use it. When I sell, I ask for money orders or an Amazon payment. It is like PayPal but through Amazon. They do have protection for the buyer so it is a good option.

But there is nothing the buyer can do if you DON'T send the package, which happened to a ton of people on here not too many months ago. At least one seller disappeared after taking a bunch of peoples' money. There is absolutely no security in it for the buyer. PayPal has dealt with two fraud cases I have had within 24 hours, with money refunded. It's a pain, but better than a stranger having my bank information or taking a money order and running, kwim? Most people here, I know, would not use anything but PayPal for these reasons.

But there is nothing the buyer can do if you DON'T send the package, which happened to a ton of people on here not too many months ago. At least one seller disappeared after taking a bunch of peoples' money. There is absolutely no security in it for the buyer. PayPal has dealt with two fraud cases I have had within 24 hours, with money refunded. It's a pain, but better than a stranger having my bank information or taking a money order and running, kwim? Most people here, I know, would not use anything but PayPal for these reasons.

For this reason, I offer amazon payments. They do have a dispute department and you can also file a dispute with your bank, so there is some form of protection. I don' t like money orders either because even sellers can get sent a fake money order but I do offer it and just hope the person is honest . I am the buyer more often though because I do buy a lot of curriculum. I haven't' t been scammed yet but I usually take the number of post into consideration and look to see if there is any feedback. I also look up their email address on other sites like homeschoolclassifieds and vegsource before I buy. The feedback option here is great but not many buyers post. I have sold few things here but only 1 person has left me feedback.

Unless I know the person IRL, I will only pay with PayPal. I used to feel differently, back in the early days of eBay before PayPal was the norm, and everyone I dealt with turned out to be honest, but not any more. There's really no good reason for a seller not to accept PayPal. (I know some people may disagree with me about that, but if you're selling something and you don't accept PayPal, plan on waiting a while to find a buyer!)

I'm honest! You can buy from me! :)

I don't want Paypal....too much hacking going on.

I will be selling it all in the next couple of years. I hope someone will buy from me! I haven't had issues before.

Honestly? I just skip those posts. I strongly hope the person is honest, but just don't do it anymore. There is no way I'm sending a check to a stranger and I really don't want to run out with my kids for a money order. So I just don't read on when I see they don't accept paypal. Not to be mean, but I really don't feel comfortable with it.