Menu

UK/European HSers, pls help.

My husband's (US) company is thinking of branching to Europe. Many of their clients are European, but they don't have the physical presence required to grow further. Our family would be part of the lucky team to start the new offices. The discussion now centers around location. The options are: England, Ireland, France or Germany.

If you have any specific experience homeschooling in any of these countries, knowledge of the legalities involved or can guide us to information about doing so, we would much appreciate it. Our stay would last about one year.

I do know that homeschooling is illegal in Germany, but I'm curious if there is a certain type of visa that would allow us to maintain our US rights to educate our children while there. Perhaps our "school" can apply for an educational visa and take a study abroad approach. :-)

We have taken our kids to several european countries in the last 2 years, tagging along on Dad's month-long business trips. As we were on a tourist visa and our stay was short, we didn't concern ourselves with the legalities at the time.

Thank you!

Hello Lisa

I live in England. The law here is very 'pro' HS, however different LA's (local authorities) interpret the law in different ways.

You would not actually need to have contact with the LA, as you are not withdrawing a child from our school system.

You can see more info here

There is a strong HS community in the UK (and of course lots of wonderful places to visit!) Of course there are many different types of HS's here as there are families, but the unschooling community seems to be particularly strong (I am not unschooling)

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

We are in England also. No problem here. Quite a bit to do actually. Not as formal and the groups tend to be more social. Ireland and France are legal places to home ed also. Not sure about the technicalities but for someone who was only there for one year with visas to match probably no problems. Germany, unless your husband's employment is with the US DOD, it is illegal.

Thanks, ladies.

This helps. I got the hare-brained idea last night to consider putting the kids in state school if we land in Germany. They'd pick up the language more quickly (they already study it now, since dh and I speak some and we have many German friends) and it would be a great immersion opportunity. School is only 4 hours long there and I'd still have time to do some english classes with them a couple of days a week. It'd be quite a shock, being their first time in a standard school environment, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind as a possibility. I guess I'd consider it in France as well, for the language opportunity.

Thanks, ladies.

This helps. I got the hare-brained idea last night to consider putting the kids in state school if we land in Germany. They'd pick up the language more quickly (they already study it now, since dh and I speak some and we have many German friends) and it would be a great immersion opportunity. School is only 4 hours long there and I'd still have time to do some english classes with them a couple of days a week. It'd be quite a shock, being their first time in a standard school environment, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind as a possibility. I guess I'd consider it in France as well, for the language opportunity.

It was long a dream of mine to go to Germany for a year or so and put the kids in school for immersion. I'm not sure I'd want that for years and years, though... Dh had no interest in this plan, unfortunately. One of my dds attended for 4 weeks once, and then she and her sister did it together for 2 weeks, but that really isn't much... and I didn't get to go! :tongue_smilie:

I am in contact with a family that is in the UK for about 2 years. Their kids are in TTUISD. As others have mentioned, the UK seems to be OK. Germany is out. GL

P.S.

Prepare to be shocked, by the prices you will pay in the UK or in Europe! Far more expensive than in the USA.....

P.S.

Prepare to be shocked, by the prices you will pay in the UK or in Europe! Far more expensive than in the USA.....

We've been there several times. We were shocked the first time, but it's all part of the planning that goes into this business move. Prices around London, where we would go, are about double. Food in Germany is pretty cheap, but I don't know much about lodging. Milk is half the price as here. I've only lived the tourist life in France, which is always pricey. We've never been to Ireland.